Dampierre Top 10 Moves!

Haven't used him enough to come up with a solid list but a couple moves stick out to me so far.

1: 6A
2: 22B
3: 11B
4: 623B
5: 6B

It's tricky for me, especially if you factor in the "random" nature of many of his attacks... I actually think his best attacks all have "random" attached to it. No particular order of course, but these are the moves I like to use at one time or another in most of my matches.

Considering Dampierre's style I try my best to keep my game as varied as possible, but these are the moves that have been the most useful to me:

1. 623B
-A move that has slightly slow startup, but allows you to evade highs and also has deceptive range. The stun allows you to combo a variety of different moves. For the most part, the random element here is something you want to avoid; you will literally trip, usually letting your opponent get free hits. On the rare occasion, this "tripping" actually allows you to DODGE lows and highs, making for a pretty impressive moment... but for the most part, it's a risk.

2. A+B
-Quick startup, sends the opponent into a comboable spin and safe... if it doesn't randomly send you into a spin yourself, in which case calling it unsafe would be an understatement, and on hit removes your opportunity to combo and deals minimal damage. Still, getting a non-spin A+B at the right time can let you deal some decent damage, at least in terms of Dampierre's damage output.

3. 22/88A (Careful how you dodge, if you're on the left 88A is more effective, if you're on the right 22A is)
-One of my favorite moves to pair with quickstep and sidestep. Using the correct direction brings you further to the side, which I've found incredibly useful against players who settle into vertical attacks or characters with strong verticals in general. The hit crumples the opponent as well, so follow up as you please. Just realize that if you quickstep or dodge in the "wrong" direction, the movement with this attack will pretty much negate your quickstep/dodge and you'll probably move right into the vertical attack.

4. 623K
-A fairly easy move to ring out with, whether you suck with just inputs or not (just spam the kick and you'll still get lots of hits). The startup is fairly slow though, although if you get hit out of it, you usually end up taking 1 hit and can air control out.

5. 2A+B
-The startup isn't amazing, but it shuffles Dampierre forward a good distance, knocks the opponent down on hit and has fairly good damage for a "Dampierre move". I've found it very useful to randomly throw in after I've completed a combo... Oh yeah, it rings out too if you're on the edge.

6. 1A (auto GI)
-Auto GI is always good, and it's also a good mixup if you haven't been throwing many lows out.

7. 44B,K,B,K
-Can be useful for opponents that aren't prepared to block both knee strikes, but is much more useful if you combo it off of 11/77B.

8. 33/99B,K
-This attack is one where the "random" element is to your benefit- even you don't know if the first hit will GB, and if the second kick followup will be mid or low (and bring you into the prone stance). Still, I try to limit usage of this move and use it when the opponent is unprepared.

9. 3A, A, A... (until stance change)
-A situational move that shines in corners; if you are lucky, or your opponent is unlucky, you should be able to deal a huge amount of damage just from tapping A. Since the opponent gets put in a slight stun from a normal hit or a full crumple stun from a hit=>stance change, once you get a string going in the corner, your opponent can only pray you get a few hits... which you can usually follow up with just about any of the stance moves. If you're not in the corner, I wouldn't recommend going farther than 2-3 hits; in this situation, you WANT fake pain to occur early before your opponent gets pushed out of range.

10. 1B
-A move I personally like to use as the last follow-up to most combos I use; in most cases it's slow but quick enough to hit the opponent before they can regain control, and if it's not then it still places Dampierre into a very low crawl to avoid highs (mids too, I believe?), and then a crouch.

I'll post my personal list for now, some which pretty much echo the others...

1. 11_77B I absolutely love this move, avoids horizontals on start up I believe, even from close range, and it's good for whiff punishing.... I'm try to restrain myself from abusing it unnecessarily, because it's just so damn..good...

2. 33_99B BE! From first seeing this, the recovery looks meh...deceptive, I figured (after seeing combo 5) you can buffer moves during recovery.
I need to look up the frame data for this, I was testing this out and found it can be used as a frame trap on block to beat other quick options the opponents have against you.

3. A+B I tend to use this move more defensively, if the opponent approaches me, that's when I use it, I tried using it for offensive means but too many PB transitions...even on hit, so I'll stick with using it for keep out purposes.

4. 1K(hold) I use this more when I knock the opponents down by walls or if they're grounded next to me, if it hits and I'm in FP stance, I follow it up with FP B.

5. B+G- For RO purposes probably my favourite throw of all, and the fact it looks so damn good(on females especially), getting all 5 hits is just a bonus for me

6.1A Pretty much what Le Bello posted

7. 623B, I use it was a whiff punish too, I occasionally whiff it on purpose so that the last few hits of that move will actually hit the opponent that who walks into it, it's happened several times, but I'll use that sparingly.

8. 2k Nice little low poke

9. PB B, I think this move tracks a little both ways, and has good range (surprisingly it hit opponents at tip of it's range when I thought it would whiff)

10. PB K

Special mention 3B,B or rather 3(B),B yes, at close range when you whiff the first B, opponents thinks yay quick whiff punish!! Sadly, B will hit you, just wish that it's range was slighly a little further longer and I'd be happy with it.

AZ

I'm not a fan of "top 10" threads because it encourages people to restrict their lists to 10 moves, and because pretty much all characters have a lot of very important moves, top 10 lists cause other equally valuable moves to be omitted or overlooked.

As for my top ten (with me cringing at the fact that I had to leave some moves out), here it is:

1. B!E!
2. 623B
3. 33_99B BE
4. 11_77B
5. BB
6. AA
7. 4B
8. 6B
9. A_B+G
10. CE

1. 623B
2. B!E!
3. 1K
4. A+B
5. 66A
6. BB
7. AA
8. 6B
9. 1B
10. 11_77KK

Special Mention: All PB moves, FP B, 44Kk BE, 22_88B, 33B BE, Grabs and CE.

Considering how much I've been playing this character again recently, I felt I ought to contribute. I dismissed his potential for quite a long time after dropping him months ago, but here I'll detail 10 reasons why I picked him up one more time, and perhaps encourage others to appreciate this character more as a result:

1.) :6::2::3::B:
This is his best move, in my opinion. When it comes out properly, it's a potentially hard-hitting launcher that catches backsteps effortlessly, tech crouches, is ridiculously safe on block (-4) and can often combo into itself then :A::+::B: if luck shines on you. Even if it randomly transitions into Poker Bluff, you can still make something of it if your opponent's reactions are not on point by buffering (mashing) :B:/:A::+::G:/:B::+::G: late into this attack's active frames for a surprise mixup. This move would be broken if it didn't randomly transition into Poker Bluff.

2.) :(1):*:(7)::B:
An evasive high-damage launcher that can beat out a plethora of your opponent's aggressive options when combined with a quickstep. Very unsafe (-22), but for good reason.

3.) :6::2::3::K:::K:::K:::K:::K:::K:::K:::K: a.k.a. B!E!
This is what makes :6::2::3::B:, :(1):*:(7)::B:, :(3):*:(9)::bA::+::B::+::K: and :A::+::B: especially dangerous. If this inputted fully successfully and :4::B: get tagged onto those launchers, then your opponent loses anywhere between a third to half their health for one good read.

4.) :6::A:
Fast and safe step catcher that combos into :1:/:2::B:, and also doubles as one of most consistent punishment options for its range where moves like :A::A:, :B::B: or :6::B: come short. Not that Dampierre's overall block punishment isn't among the worst of the cast, but still.

5.) :6::B:
Very fast tech-crouching high that knocks down, is +2 on block and has all sorts of guaranteed followups, including :1:/:2::B:, :3::K: and :(1):*:(7)::K::K:. If the pushback was not so much that it pushed him out of range for another :6::B: (and many of his other pokes), its frame trap potential would be incredible. As it stands though, this is still a powerful tool provided you are close enough to make use of it.

6.) :(6)::A:
Slow, but catches step decently at a range and is very safe on block (-4). It has all the followups :6::B: and :3::K: have, but :1::K: is guaranteed as well, which can lead into a guaranteed PB:B: if they try to ukemi, or a forced block (followed by a Poker Bluff mixup) if they do not. If you're close enough, :B::B: is his highest damage followup.

7.) :(2):*:(8)::B:
While a tad slow, this is a decent post-quickstep alternative to :(1):*:(7)::B: that's safe enough on block (-2) for potential frame trap shenanigans, and has most of the same followups as :(6)::A:, save for :B::B:. :(4)::kA::+::B::+::K: also combos if you want to go for damage.

8.) :1::B:
An almost unseeable low that knocks down and can be used as a follow up after many attacks. Extremely unsafe on block (-28), but only worry about that when your opponent successfully guesses at blocking it and punishing correctly at max range. Them guessing when it's coming opens them up to more mids anyway, like :6::2::3::B:.

9.) :(3):*:(9)::bA::+::B::+::K:
Easily Dampierre's best Brave Edge. Provided you immediately follow up with an attack, it gives you incredible frame advantage on block, so follow up with anything you want. If you know it is going to hit, it is yet another move that leads into the ridiculous damage that B!E! can dish out. If the Guard Break happens by some miracle, B!E! or :3::B::B: immediately.

10.) :2::3::6::2::3::6::A::+::B::+::K:
Interrupt a string or correctly read any offensive that isn't a throw: rob an opponent of a third of their health and possibly their pride.

6.) :(6)::A:
Slow, but catches step decently at a range and is very safe on block (-4). It has all the followups :6::B: and :3::K: have, but :1::K: is guaranteed as well, which can lead into a guaranteed of PB:B: if they try to ukemi, or a forced block (followed by a Poker Bluff mixup) if they do not. :4::4::kA::+::B::+::K: is also a valid option if you don't feel like saving meter for his Critical Edge.
BB combos after it as well (character specific?) for decent damage plus it keeps them standing at disadvantage within throw range.

Top Ten move list eh?
1) 623B
2)4B
3)33/99 B (BE)
4)11/77/44 A~B
5)B!E!
6)A+B
7)6B
8)6A
9) 8B+K
10)44K (BE)

Note: thank you for the correction :P sorry folks >__<

That I didn't know for some reason. Duly noted. =]

Do note that the option slade mentioned is the highest guaranteed damage you will get, but that's only an extra few damage, so sometimes you may prefer to knock them down instead and play oki

edit: damage is like 58 iirc, actually forgot to add 66A combos oh dear..!

AZ

Do note that the option slade mentioned is the highest guaranteed damage you will get, but that's only an extra few damage, so sometimes you may prefer to knock them down instead and play oki
One thing I also found is that it doesn't work at max range either. Then again, neither do most of the followups for that move. In addition, it turns out :(4)::kA::+::B::+::K: doesn't work after :(6)::A:, so I'll amend that in my list.

In no particular order

1. Critical Edge
It's an obvious choice. High damage and can really spook your opponent.
2. 623 B
I think this is Dampierre's most overrated and dangerous move in the sense that I think overusage of this move is the best way to get killed. Obviously a powerful tool though I find myself using it less and less these days.
3. A+B
I'm thinking of stopping this move altogether. I just don't think it's worth it. They made his chances of spinning around way too high. At the very least I wish he would never spin out if it's blocked or whiffed, but only randomly when it hits. I can accept not being able to combo off of it. It's spinning out when I just wanted a blockstring that pisses me off.

4. 8 B+K
This move grew on me. Initially I thought it was mostly a gimmick, but I've grown to really like it. It's a bit slow, but almost all of Dampierre's jumping moves are so I find that if I want to low crush something and I'm willing to take a bit of a gamble then I throw this out. The distance it crosses is great too and getting B!E! is big damage, as one would expect. Also if I have the meter I sometimes try to go for the Critical Edge. It's gimmicky, but I usually check to see how they try to punish this on block normally to see if the CE would counter successfully.

5. B!E!
A move that needs no introduction. Unfortunately I find myself using this move a lot less than I used to because it's absolutely fundamental to winning with Dampierre and it's also entirely unreasonable to expect to actually complete the chain online, where the timing changes constantly. That's the frustrating thing. These days I really enjoy using B!E! as a punisher and mid hitting move to scare crouchers. It's surprisingly useful even without comboing into it.

6. 66 A
Great move. It's the only running move I use with Dampierre for the most part. All his running moves are slow, but I like how safe this one is on block. It's nice too and can catch side steppers and late risers, which is great since people usually stay grounded or crouch when they see Dampierre running forward on their wakeup. Combo potential afterward is nice too.

7. 2K / 2A
God-like pokes. It's also pretty much all I ever land. It's lame, it's boring, but it's all there is to do sometimes. Great for interrupting pressure and for tick throwing, to which I think few can rival Dampierre in throws.

8. 6B
A classic move that I really need to start using more again. It's safe and quick, but actually getting in with Dampierre is so damn frustrating that opportunities to make use of this move are incredibly rare for me.

9. 33B BE
Excellent usage of meter. I like going for the gimmicks via 44K BE, but when I really want things done you almost literally cannot go wrong with this move. It's fast, it's powerful, and it's super safe on hit. I just wish you had more time to tell if it successfully hit them or just broke guard though as I find I end up sometimes whiffing grabs when I could have used B!E!

10. 22B
Nice side step not too unsafe either. It takes awhile to hit, like most moves with this guy do, but when it does you have a lot of opportunities to mess around.

All in all I find that I use Dampierre's unique and interesting moves less and less and use his more straight forward pokes and blockstring attacks more and more.If I land into one of his stances, I'm more horrified than anything. There is no point to having random elements when all of them are bad and the original basic move is the only good variation. Getting punished for trying to be unpredictable is so frustrating I'm not surprised I dropped this game half a year ago. I feel like Dampierre is such a great design with an interesting theory behind his moveset, but he's also so poorly executed too that it's a damn shame.

Special attention does go to moves like 11B. Obvious huge money maker as far as damage goes, but the degree to which it is unsafe makes me try to avoid using it.

Back