Distant Worlds: an SCV Regular Cast Alternates Contest

Looks Indian to me, the tiger doesn't help either.
Also there's no country called Arabia :B

Your quite right and I feel a litle silly for writing that as I knew this, I think it was because I had Disneys Alladin in mind when creating him. I suppose he could be from Saudi Arabia or some other middle easten country
As for the tiger well if Rock is allowed to have a rhinoceros head ;)

All I could think of was AC. But Robocop Hilde is VERY impressive indeed.

Glad you liked her...
Hehe you recognized the song ;o)
Make sure you check out Beauty and The Beasts Slideshow if you haven't (and comment in my thread if you'd like).
Here, nobody will notice i posted a slideshow in the spoilertag anyways, cuz this aint fast food pic viewing (even if the slideshows are one click away)...
Well i hope not, but we'll see ;o)

But i won't give up and start reposting pics, because it is so much better in slideshow with music, even if it takes more time...on a very self-indulgent note, i am trying to elevate this forum to new artistic heights (unless there are other in-game pics musical slideshows out there i dunno of)...

Which country does the prayer helm represent? I wanted to make an unmasked Nightmare but had no clue where it came from lol.

Your quite right and I feel a litle silly for writing that as I knew this, I think it was because I had Disneys Alladin in mind when creating him. I suppose he could be from Saudi Arabia or some other middle easten country
As for the tiger well if Rock is allowed to have a rhinoceros head ;)
Well Disney's Aladdin was pretty much Indian (even the city Agrabah is named after Agra in India, home of Taj Mahal).
Still not convinced he's an Arab, try Persian?

About the rhino, well I never actually thought about the rhino!

cuz this aint fast food pic viewing (even if the slideshows are one click away)...
Well i hope not, but we'll see ;o)

But i won't give up and start reposting pics, because it is so much better in slideshow with music, even if it takes more time...on a very self-indulgent note, i am trying to elevate this forum to new artistic heights (unless there are other in-game pics musical slideshows out there i dunno of)...
Honestly I prefer pics rather than slideshows. But since according to you they are better than pics wouldn't it be unfair to compete with pics ;)? Just kidding.
And while I watched it earlier, I couldn't comment since I wasn't able to figure out the countries they are supposed to represent. Sorry, but this is the main idea of this challenge :<

Which country does the prayer helm represent? I wanted to make an unmasked Nightmare but had no clue where it came from lol.

Well Disney's Aladdin was pretty much Indian (even the city Agrabah is named after Agra in India, home of Taj Mahal).

Very good points, I think the Disney took insperation from various places. theres the indian as pointed at but some of the characters and the fact that its located in and around a desert is very arabian. I do Persian is a good way to go though

Not to mention the opening song Arabian Nights ;)

Honestly I prefer pics rather than slideshows. But since according to you they are better than pics wouldn't it be unfair to compete with pics ;)? Just kidding.
Just laughing then ;o(

And while I watched it earlier, I couldn't comment since I wasn't able to figure out the countries they are supposed to represent. Sorry, but this is the main idea of this challenge :<

You certainly got a point there, i forgot...Robocop Hilde is from Detroit, USA, in a not so distant future,
Queen Hilde is from Wonderland, and Prayer Helm Hilde is from Bengladesh
Why do we need to state a specific country, that is been done already, remember Spetsnaz Ivy...

I think these recent issues have resolved themselves, but just so we're all clear:
- "Arabian" Cervantes is an eligible entry. Matty82 may call it Arabian, Persian, or Indian, but either way, it's eligible. I know that might sound like an ignorant and incorrect approach to some people, but I think the theme Matty82 is aiming for is very clear.

- The theme is about creating a regular character 3P whose real-world setting of origin is different than said character's canon one. Wonderland is not a real-world country, but I've accepted Queen Hilde as an eligible entry from "European-country-that-isn't-Wolfkrone/Germany."

- If an entrant would like to submit their entries in slideshow format, they may. However, keep in mind that this is a CaS contest, not a slideshow contest. I will be judging CaS designs and I expect anyone else voting will generally be doing the same. Extra details that are relevant to entries (e.g. character backgrounds) are encouraged, but not necessary and will not be considered during deliberation for the Judge's Choice.

Also, interesting note on Aladdin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aladdin#Sources_and_setting
Although Aladdin is a Middle Eastern tale, the story is set in China, and Aladdin is explicitly Chinese. However, the "China" of the story is an Islamic country, where most people are Muslims; there is a Jewish merchant who buys Aladdin's wares (and incidentally cheats him), but there is no mention of Buddhists or Confucians. Everybody in this country bears an Arabic name, and its monarch seems much more like a Muslim ruler than a Chinese emperor. Some commentators believe that this suggests that the story might be set in Turkestan (encompassing Central Asia and the modern Chinese province of Xinjiang). It has to be said that this speculation depends on a knowledge of China that the teller of a folk tale (as opposed to a geographic expert) might well not possess, and that a deliberately exotic setting is in any case a common storytelling device.

For a narrator unaware of the existence of America, Aladdin's "China" would represent "the Utter East" while the sorcerer's homeland in the Maghreb (Northern Africa) represented "the Utter West". In the beginning of the tale, the sorcerer's taking the effort to make such a long journey, the longest conceivable in the narrator's (and his listeners') perception of the world, underlines the sorcerer's determination to gain the lamp and hence the lamp's great value. In the later episodes, the instantaneous transitions from the east to the west and back, performed effortlessly by the Jinn, make their power all the more marvelous.
tl;dr The original Aladdin story had characters who were Chinese, but acted like they lived in a Muslim country. The mindset I'm looking for in these entries is the reverse: the chosen character acts the way he or she normally does, but their appearance makes him or her look like he or she's from somewhere else.

tl;dr The original Aladdin story had characters who were Chinese, but acted like they lived in a Muslim country. The mindset I'm looking for in these entries is the reverse: the chosen character acts the way he or she normally does, but their appearance makes him or her look like he or she's from somewhere else.
Actually Islam reached China so the story takes place in a Muslim Chinese town. But that's beside the point, I was talking about Disney's version.

And about the whole issue: it's just that Arabs are very often portrayed as Indians in the media, sometimes even with an Indian accent, that it gets annoying after a while. It's just like "all Asians are Chinese."

Actually Islam reached China so the story takes place in a Muslim Chinese town. But that's beside the point, I was talking about Disney's version.

And about the whole issue: it's just that Arabs are very often portrayed as Indians in the media, sometimes even with an Indian accent, that it gets annoying after a while. It's just like "all Asians are Chinese."
I suppose it's true that Islam did reach a significant level of influence in China. I don't know that it was strong enough such that the Emperor of China took an Arabic name and became Muslim, though. Still, you learn something new every day.

And yeah, I know what you mean about the misrepresentation of ethnicities in the media. It would be nice if you guys could nail down something specific for that entry, but I just wanted to make it clear as a judge that it's eligible, whatever you decide to call it.

This is getting a bit too technical for me, i will stick to slideshows and to my thread allright, because i don't see why my Detroit US Robocop Hilde is not an eligible entry, nobody said the character couldn't be fictional (they basically all are btw), or from the future...
Especially because i redid her so that the colour scheme matches Hilde 1P and that of Robocop as well...

If this is not playing by the rules, then count me out...honestly

i don't see why my Detroit US Robocop Hilde is not an eligible entry, nobody said the character couldn't be fictional (they basically all are btw), or from the future
No, no, I didn't disqualify any of your entries. They're all eligible.

Robocop Hilde says :

140gg3n.jpg

I really loved my Siegfried and honestly he became one of my favorite CAS. I even became better at using him since I chose him more often. Thanks again for the contest, I wouldn't have thought of doing something similar without it.

So I wanted something similar for my other main, Omega Pyrrah. Unfortunately it wasn't as easy nor stylistically similar, but I finally liked the result I got.
I present you.. Egyptian Omega Pyrrah

IQjQZ.jpg

2MZKz.jpg

lNlcU.jpg

LHS0E.jpg

5j2dF.jpg

It originally started as Indian with the prayer helm, the concept was that the prayer helm's face cover matched the chiton/sash. But I didn't like it and tried other stuff until I found this which emphasizes her wicked eyes.
It's ironic how I made a fuss about nationalities then do a stupid switch like this xD

Some color things you won't notice in the photos:
  • The bra's pattern matches the pants'.
  • The material and color of the shoulder pad connector matches the darker one on the shoulder pad itself.
  • The texture of the sandals' cloth matches that of the top.

I apologize for the double posts but this one is only a filler since I'll probably never use the third spot. I wanted to keep it separate from the previous one.

So I made Japanese Siegfried, what's the most obvious next step? Yep, Japanese Nightmare.

ZdR6p.jpg

u2WNI.jpg

hoeGQ.jpg

Again it's quick and simple, and it will be deleted if I ever make a proper 3rd entry.
Note that the colors appear too saturated here.

Back