Does this game seem a little...linear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IN SC5, REDUNDANCY HAS BEEN REDUCED.
It really hasn't. Namco reduced the movelist and made certain attacks the obvious top5-10 for each character. This means is that now you watch a video and any given player of character A, B or C looks exactly the same.

In SCIV you could tell who was playing virtually straight away just by watching how they played. Malek played nothing like Scud. Mick played nothing like Kayane. JAG played nothing like Saitoh.

In SCV, better players make better reads and/or have better execution, but playstyles do not diverge at all. Every Pat will abuse 66B, every Viola will spam 6B+K. In many ways SCV is an excellent game but the repetitiveness of the matches becomes incredibly tedious after a while in my opinion.

And why is a moderator editing DiS's posts for disagreeing about the relative merits of SCIV and SCV? I get that 8wr has virtually nothing to talk about any more, but if you're going to use even this discussion as an excuse for moderator-backed mob mentality, then discussion on the site is nothing more than a joke.

And why is a moderator editing DiS's posts for disagreeing about the relative merits of SCIV and SCV? I get that 8wr has virtually nothing to talk about any more, but if you're going to use even this discussion as an excuse for moderator-backed mob mentality, then discussion on the site is nothing more than a joke.
They weren't edited because he was disagreeing, they were edited to remove his flame bait.

They weren't edited because he was disagreeing, they were edited to remove his flame bait.
Ok, so

- disagreeing with the majority is flame baiting, while

- editing someone's post outside of their control and, in the process, describing their thoughts as unintelligible and taking an additional swipe at their skill level is moderation.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Ok, so

- disagreeing with the majority is flame baiting, while
Would you like a screenshot of what he put sent to you? I promise you it's nothing to do with this topic.

editing someone's post outside of their control and, in the process, describing their thoughts as unintelligible and taking an additional swipe at their skill level is moderation.

Thank you for clearing that up.
What moderator are you referring to?

ca291d4ff1fe2895794fa58b14ea0635.png

Hyrul's right about the edit thing. It left a bad taste in my mouth when I saw it too.
The whole purpose of this thread is "Do you think SCV lacks depth compared to previous SCs or not". If a post expressing an opinion on the topic is "flamebait" then that's probably a good sign that the thread itself has a shitty topic.

Hyrul's right about the edit thing. It left a bad taste in my mouth when I saw it too.
The whole purpose of this thread is "Do you think SCV lacks depth compared to previous SCs or not". If a post expressing an opinion on the topic is "flamebait" then that's probably a good sign that the thread itself has a shitty topic.
I didn't personally edit DiS' post since it was before I was a Super Mod but that's the only valid reason I saw for the post to be edited.

I didn't personally edit DiS' post since it was before I was a Super Mod but that's the only valid reason I saw for the post to be edited.
I didn't mean to imply it was you, just that whoever did it probably shouldn't have. I'm not going to point fingers.

I didn't mean to imply it was you, just that whoever did it probably shouldn't have. I'm not going to point fingers.
Yeah I know, I was just clarifying that I'm not sure of the reasoning for the edit but that's what I thought it was.

It really hasn't. Namco reduced the movelist and made certain attacks the obvious top5-10 for each character.
YOU START OFF BY DISAGREEING WITH ME, THEN YOU IMMEDIATELY ADMIT THAT NAMCO HAS, IN FACT, REDUCED THE MOVE LIST.

NICE JOB. I'M SURE THE REST OF YOUR POST ISN'T GOING TO BE FALLACIOUS AT ALL.

now you watch a video and any given player of character A, B or C looks exactly the same.

Every Pat will abuse 66B, every Viola will spam 6B+K.

MY MISTAKE! THE REST OF YOUR POST WAS FALLACIOUS, AFTER ALL!

APPARENTLY, THE WAY SOMEONE LOOKS WHEN THEY PLAY IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS. YES, OF COURSE! OUR OUTSIDE OBSERVATIONS OF PLAYERS ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN ACTUALLY FUCKING PLAYING THEM FIRST-HAND! ALL THIS TIME I THOUGHT THAT EACH PERSON STILL HAS THEIR OWN WAY OF PLAYING THE GAME. THAT PEOPLE WHO FOCUS ON INTERRUPTS STILL USE INTERRUPTS. THAT PEOPLE WHO FOCUS ON MIXUPS STILL USE MIXUPS. THAT PEOPLE WHO FOCUS ON PUNISHMENT STILL USE PUNISHMENT.

I WAS WRONG! WHAT ACTUALLY MATTERS IS THAT SPECTATORS ARE UNSATISFIED WITH REDUCED MOVE LISTS! HOW AWFULLY BORING IT IS TO THE EYE AS WE WATCH FROM A DISTANCE AND NOT FIGHT PLAYERS FOR OURSELVES NOR FIGURE OUT WHAT EACH PLAYER'S UNIQUE SET OF VALUES ARE! GET THE FUCK OUT. I'M NOT INTERESTED IN ARGUING WITH YOUR FAKE ARGUMENTS JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT AN EXCUSE TO FEEL COOL ABOUT YOUR FAKE INTELLECTUALISM.

Reactions: CFW
In SCIV you could tell who was playing virtually straight away just by watching how they played. Malek played nothing like Scud. Mick played nothing like Kayane. JAG played nothing like Saitoh.
In SCV, better players make better reads and/or have better execution, but playstyles do not diverge at all. Every Pat will abuse 66B, every Viola will spam 6B+K. In many ways SCV is an excellent game but the repetitiveness of the matches becomes incredibly tedious after a while in my opinion.
As much as I hate agree with MONEYMUFFINS here, (I mean seriously, why can't you say the same thing without the caps, formatting and insults...?) I do...

I can tell people apart by watching quite easily. Simple as that. ...I don't even watch much footage and I'm capable of that, and I'd hope that many people would be able to tell you that they play their characters differently to how they've seen others.
A personal example of mine, I'm sure, doesn't mean much to you, but I find watching any matches with Viola involved quite difficult just because they all play very differently to mine and I have to consciously try to take in as little information from those fights as I can. Sure, I use 6B+K a lot as you mentioned, but I almost never use 6B, 3A or 3K outside of combos and instead usually use 66B or sometimes just an A, I use 4A+B far more than I've seen anybody else use it, and I actually try to stay at 4A+B range where I can step more easily and use B+K more effectively. Better or worse, it's certainly a variation.

I mean, different people can use the same attacks and mechanics in a different way anyway, but I see plenty of variance so...
Whether it's more or less is another matter, but it's certainly there and enough of it as far as I'm concerned. To be honest, I couldn't even understand where the OP was getting this impression from and before I saw people taking it seriously I was just going to say "No...?" but apparently some people actually feel that way.

capital letters
Ok so this has turned into an attack on me personally and calling me stupid. What is this really. Fake intellectualism? What the fuck are you talking about? There is no reduced redundancy because even where one person usually used a reduced part of the movelist, different players used different subsets of the movelist, and then gave them a completely different style of play almost like they were using a different character. In SCV players still use limited movesets, but save for one or two characters like Natsu, they use exactly the same small set of moves because they are designed to be the most dangerous moves. I thought that step in the thinking was clear, guess I should've spelled it out, but seriously... feel cool? You ridiculous twat. Who the fuck would even think that people come onto a website about a video game to try to "feel cool about fake intellectualism"?

When discussions about the SC games are reduced to this level of bullshit, even by the top players, then what the fuck is the point of this website? "The mob has spoken, everyone else GTFO"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back