Does this game seem a little...linear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zink Imp

[08] Mercenary
I'm not sure how to really put this, but does anyone else think that there's not a lot of substance to the characters? Like, no matter how many times I see a Maxi or a Lexia I basically know exactly what they are going to do. It's like a rhythm game, and less of a fighting game. When I look back on SC4, more characters seemed to have a more arsenal of tactics they can use during a fight. Here it just seems that all the characters have one string of combos and tech going for them. Anyone else think that?

When I look back on SC4, more characters seemed to have a more arsenal of tactics they can use during a fight.
YOU MUST'VE PLAYED BAD PLAYERS IN SC4 TO GIVE YOU SUCH DECEPTIVE MEMORIES OF IT. EACH GAME'S CHARACTERS GENERALLY BOIL DOWN TO A CERTAIN SET OF MOVES THAT ARE TO BE EXPECTED. IN SC2, FOR EXAMPLE, TOO MANY IDIOTS ARGUE THAT THERE ARE TWICE AS MANY MOVES, THEREFORE THERE ARE MORE TACTICS. BUT IT STILL COMES DOWN TO THE SAME FEW ATTACKS BECAUSE MOST OF THE OTHER ATTACKS ARE UNNEEDED TO SUCCEED. IN SC5, REDUNDANCY HAS BEEN REDUCED.

wait.. are you saying that all leixia players play like other leixia players (not a lot of variation within a given moveset) or that leixia players play like maxi players (in that there is a superior overall general strat) ??

Redundancy has NOT been reduced. There is still a ton of crap moves that no one uses. It still boils down to a 10 move game at the tournament level. The new mechanics is essentially the only difference.

And this is one of the several reasons why you aren't at a tournament level
T8xBWhH.gif

SC4 characters did have more moves, yes... but as far as depth and skill is concerned SC5 is better. It's a lot tougher to make a comeback in SC4 than it is in SC5. You have the meter system which makes combos you normally can't do without meter, suddenly available. (Like Viola, and Nightmare wall combos).

People can argue the meter system has made character like Viola too badass now, but it's a depth feature setting Soul Calibur standards higher than the average fighting game genre, and player with 5% health but 2 full soul gauge meters is still a major threat... The universal fighting game:

"Here is my HP bar. You hit me, I hit you. Whoever's depletes first, loses..."

SC5 gives more depth because of the meter system, ring outs, and Yoshimitsu can heal himself... (lol!) =]

I'm not sure how to really put this, but does anyone else think that there's not a lot of substance to the characters? Like, no matter how many times I see a Maxi or a Lexia I basically know exactly what they are going to do. It's like a rhythm game, and less of a fighting game. When I look back on SC4, more characters seemed to have a more arsenal of tactics they can use during a fight. Here it just seems that all the characters have one string of combos and tech going for them.
Are you basicly saying that you want more moves upon moves to give you more ways & options to defeat your opponent to make SC seem more of a "fighting game" rather then just a "few primary methods, repeating rhythm" type of game?

The only game I know that has moves on top of moves & a gigantic serious amount of options to fight, is Raging Blast 2 DBZ. Every move can be used differently in like 8 different ways & combo's can be remade into 10 different ways with a continuation of over 99 moves. Is that something your looking for in any specific fighting game? If so, good luck...

Even if you do find a game like that, it probably wouldn't have too much popularity. Someone in 8wr once told me that highly competitive games like that I've just told you are way too hard for people to get into. & people who are not strong enough to take up the challenge to competitively play that specific type of game, becomes too frusterating for people to continue playing. There are more casual scrubs & sore losers in the world of gaming then you know. There aren't many competitors who would dare crave a challenge. Look at Halo for an example. That game imo is the most competitive shooting game ever, yet CoD has more popularity cause it's more easier to play. CoD also does have more quality I suppose then Halo, but still...

Games with a high amount of competitive play such as the one your probably looking for wouldn't be too popular. Only the strong survive in that type of tough shit. We play for blood, money, & fame. lol

Last edited:
I don't see how SC V is linear. I mean, yeah everyone knows that SC IV, you had more of an arsenal, which opened a few doors for some nice combos, but adding in the BE moves just elevated everything. I'm still grumbling that GI isn't what it used to be, but moving on... I don't see it as a rhythm game at all, it is more like
"Oh a (insert character) player! I've played a few (insert character) so I think I know the match-up pretty well." kind of thing.
It's all about knowing the character, how you fight against them, and knowing your character, not getting into a rhythm.

In general, everyone move list has been reduced. Raphael, Ivy, Mitsurugi, Kilik-to-Xiba, Xianghua-to-Leixia, Siegfried, Nightmare, Cervantes, Taki-to-Natsu, and Maxi, all of them got nerfed in the movelist for sure. But I don't think SCV is linear, is the fault of the people who love to spam the same attacks like Xiba players use 6B+K most of the time.

I think if we had SCV mechanics with larger movesets and SC2 attack delay variations, SC would be even more awesome. (I like things they way they are as well, so don't get me wrong)

It might not be that the game itself is linear, but rather certain players choose to play with fewer moves.

I said earlier that redundancy has not been reduced, but what I should have said is that redundancy has not been eliminated.

Either way, you still end up with about equal number of go-to moves for *insert character*. Which is why I said the game hasn't changed much other than meter and jg.

Ridiculing a person for their opinions is one thing, altering someone's post, or constantly deleting them, is an all time low for 8wr. Does freedom of speech not mean anything to anyone here? Do people not respect that idea? I know this isn't a democracy but cmon man, I'm not trolling anyone so leave me alone.

It might not be that the game itself is linear, but rather certain players choose to play with fewer moves.

I said earlier that redundancy has not been reduced, but what I should have said is that redundancy has not been eliminated.

Either way, you still end up with about equal number of go-to moves for *insert character*. Which is why I said the game hasn't changed much other than meter and jg.

Ridiculing a person for their opinions is one thing, altering someone's post, or constantly deleting them, is an all time low for 8wr. Does freedom of speech not mean anything to anyone here? Do people not respect that idea? I know this isn't a democracy but cmon man, I'm not trolling anyone so leave me alone.
1377596176622.gif

I Actually kind of agree.

Though my biggest quaff is my inability to attach myself to a fighting style.

No one truely feels like Talim in this game. Viola was more fun before she was buffed. Tira doesn't feel much better to me.

I Stopped playing a bit ago, but with sc2 coming back I'll be coming back.

Let me get this straight, your Avatar is a picture of an Asian women making fun of white people. You have to go out of your way to say you aren't trolling. And every post you do offends someone. But somehow you aren't trolling? Apparently you had a picture of Hitler as your avatar at one point also. The admins had to tell you to remove it and you argued with them. So yeah.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back