Ending Strings Early/Delays

Suirad

[10] Knight
I thought it might be a good idea to list which strings have delays in them and which should considered for ending early. I'm tacking on my opinions, but by all means say what ya'll think as well

Delays:

1A~A Dangerous, but might be worth doing every so often if people like to punish 1A on stop.
B~K Good for a quick surprise if you end at B often and want opponent to keep blocking or use
slower TC moves for response.
66B+K~A If opponent goes for TC you're SOL, but it does lead to good damage on CH with the B launcher
66B+KA~B There is some 60 something damage to be had by mixing the last B and doing so protects the A.
236236A~A I don't get what this is useful for.

Ending Strings:

A - Bad frames and low damage to begin with, best you'll get is a reset.
6A - If you can get someone to attack into the second hit you get shake stun and 6A is + on hit seems like
a decent choice.
1A - Pretty safe to end. Probably shouldn't be using it so much that it's an issue, but you could use the
delay to discourage punish if need be. You get an ok tech trap situation on hit too, so it's not a huge loss.
4A - A good place to end as it's both safe and + on hit, albeit not much, and the following hits are not (safe).
4AA - If you've gotten this far and aren't dead yet same as 1A.
B - Gets better frames on block than BB, people expect second B and can't react to it well, there is always
the delayed K and you're in an ok position on hit too.
B2 series - People can block in at any point on hit so it's probably a good idea to end quick, say at 1 or 2
2B - You get to hit confirm this so there isn't a lot of excuse for throwing the second B on block unless you
are fairly sure they'll retaliate. Second attack comes out of nowhere too, so you're in the clear if they
they decide to continue blocking for it.
K - Frames and damage poor, but like 2B second hit cannot be discerned in advance, like A though just a
reset for your troubles.
B+K - Love the move for it's evasive properties, but that 2nd B will get you killed if it's not CH. I think stopping here is a must unless opponent likes to be aggresive on block/hit of the 1st hit
9A+K - Likely a good idea to stop there, you threaten the K and you're going to get hurt for anything else
you try. If you did 9A+K have the good sense to stop there I say, unless it looked like you'd get CH.
11A - That second A isn't going to mess people up too often if they are used to it and this is both safe and +
on hit. Seems like a deal to me.
66B+K - Safe and good SG damage, parity on hit. A good choice if you think opponent will block since it will
mess them up later-on if you find yourself doing the following A.
66B+KA - You get to hit confirm CH from this point and that's why you're doing the move to begin with. If
they block B+K but get CHed by A then you get a decent tech trap situation and the threat of the B
will make this safe most of the time.
236A - The first time you do it, it'll probably be safer than 236AA, after that you're just giving opponent more
frames to punish with.
236236A - If opponent likes to GI/step/jump and hurt you for the second A then this might be worth a shot
It's -20 though so don't expect much from here, whether it be safety or on hit follow-up.

Comment's? Questions? Did I miss anything?

missed: B+KB ("endable" string and can be delayed) - using B+K puts you in a high risk medium reward situation on block. Leaves you at -12 on block, so its punishable by the best. The second B can be slightly delayed to get your opponent to begin his offense. In short, stopping the string short risks a free mixup by your opponent (the reward being your attempt at TJ, TSS, and CH all at once) and continuing or delaying the string will risk heavy punishment (the reward being small damage, or medium if you hit the JF:4).

Comments: Delaying 236236AA on hit will result in a knockdown instead of a stun. Don't know if you get any tech trap opportunities after this.
Stopping AA short might be useful if you're abusing AK and want them to duck/freeze

Offtopic: 9A+KB is a sneaky frame trap if they for some reason don't hit you out of it. 9A+KB is very unsafe but is the best option on CH. Overall 9K is a way better TJ option than the slow, low damaging 9A+K series.

Comments: Delaying 236236AA on hit will result in a knockdown instead of a stun.

whenever you Hit with the second A in isolation that will happen. Plus you can tech trap the stun if you want or get guaranteed damage, so thats basically always better. I think anyway.

Agreed, my choice is always the guaranteed damage. One of LunarAura's posts said something about this, so I thought maybe there was something I didn't know about tech traps (VERY likely) that could possibly make it useful.

Back