Favorite moves at point blank after blockstun

PhoenixDevice

[08] Mercenary
Scenario: you successfully block a string and are point blank with the opponent

what do you generally throw out in this circumstance?

For me it's probably

BB
AA6BA -> Wind Stance
1A+B
Throw
4BB

I find inputting an 8 way run move takes to long in this case.

That's not based on frame data or anything though. If it were I dont think any of those should be on the list. Hahah ... Frames... I know nothing.

The above list is a good way to get GI'd left and right (though that doesn't mean you shouldn't ever use them.) Throwing out BB against Sophie, for example, is a great way to get A+B combo'd to death. In general, they're all linear and quick which is going to result in a lot of GIs and/or blocking back and forth. It really depends on the skill level of your opponent, but try putting some of Talim's terrible low kicks in there.

For me, I'll use BB, 1K, 11K(A), 6A+B and A+K depending on what I'm trying to do. 6A+B can sometimes catch people who just toss out GI after they have a canned string blocked, but mostly it's nice for soul gauge damage. Throwing also works against GIers so long as the string left you in range for that.

With Talim your only real hope is to be wacky. You don't have go-to fast, safe moves that you can use to punish blocks and whiffs so your only option is to try to do something unexpected. 2A+B into wind leap or wind sault is an option; 2/8B+K into B:B, K or A/B+G can work, and A+K in this stance will occasionally fool someone; 3B[A] can lead to some nice mixup combos.

Sadly, turtling doesn't work well with Talim because she lacks the tools to retaliate. I'd suggest watching Kura's videos on Youtube to get some great Talim information.

I sometimes use 2K/1K and mix up with BB. Throw/66A to catch step. In my opinion 6A+B's only saving grace in this situation is that it can be cancelled in case your fear getting CH'd. otherwise it's usually too slow. (I guess it's also pretty good for backstep though.) As Lokim says, I want people to block my 6A+B more than get hit by it.

If the string forces crouch FC 3B is one of your best options. Her low kicks aren't terrible though, 11K is great and 1K is almost always free especially since we're talking point blank range.

In my opinion 6A+B's only saving grace in this situation is that it can be cancelled in case your fear getting CH'd. otherwise it's usually too slow.
I used to feel the same way about 6A+B until I spent some time watching Kura use it in Denver. He does a great job of choosing spots to fit it in and often, inexplicably, ends up ahead in the CF game. I've been forcing myself to use it more often and it fits in a lot more places than you might expect.

I've actually been mixing it in for wake-up games; it'll catch someone back/front rolling or rising into a crouch, and if they block it you get your good gauge damage. I also like using it after a GI, where its slowness can actually help you avoid being re-GI'd. If they stand and block instead, you've just gotten a bunch of quick soul gauge damage (GI + blocked 6A+B). If your opponent is flashing red that combination virtually guarantees a CF (see one of Kura's casual matches versus RTD for a totally awesome example of that.)

While we're here I might as well ask what the advantages of GIs are anyway. Pretty much everything can be blocked afterwards so is there any real advantage other than SG damage and massive flashes of green? That's probably why my list suchs; I dont even know what a GI really does for you other than avoid getting hit :P

I need to watch Kura vids when I get home from school...

Jelly, not everything can be clocked after a GI. There are lots of fast moves that can hit someone who has just been GI'd unless the opponent reverse-GIs. GIs can be used to interrupt predictable strings of moves and give you frame advantage. They aren't usually guaranteed damage but they force your opponent to guess at what you're going to do next. Will you throw? Will you do a fast move that they should try to reverse-GI? Will you do something slower that they can just block normally?

It's a mind game. If you can find someone to play against who's good at GIing you'll immediately understand how they can be useful!

Jelly: GI allows +20 frames advantage. Meaning that any move that's 20 frames or faster is unblockable afterwards. These moves can be re-GIed, but not blocked. So yes, it is a mind game.

Also, Lokim, I think you misunderstood my standing on Talim's 6A+B. I only said that I didn't think it was a good choice considering the situation that the original post presented. At point blank range after blocking a string. 6A+B is a great move though and I have been using it in the ways you described. Talim's SG game is pretty decent despite what lots of people tend to think.

but anyway, yeah, if you can work 6A+B in effectively and often, you will be pressuring the gauge in no time.

Back