Favorite quotes thread

Awesome thread, I have a bunch. I'll narrow it down to some of my absolute favorites.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment. I told them they didn’t understand life." - John Lennon

"I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not."
"Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are." -both Kurt Cobain

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -Gandhi

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln

"We cannot solve our problems with the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein

"Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to you in life." -John F. Kennedy

"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see."
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -both Mark Twain

To see what is right and not to do is want of courage or of principle. - Confucius. Yoshimitsu the Second just took that quote since he's troll like that.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein
Mystical explanations.-- Mystical explanations are considered deep. The truth is that they are not even superficial. -Nietzsche

Metaphysical world.-- It is true, there could be a metaphysical world; the absolute possibility of it is hardly to be disputed. We behold all things through the human head and cannot cut off this head; while the question nonetheless remains what of the world would still be there if one had cut it off. -Nietzsche

Just beyond experience!-- Even great spirits have only their five fingers breadth of experience - just beyond it their thinking ceases and their endless empty space and stupidity begins. -Nietzsche

What then is truth? A mobile army of metaphors, metonyms, and anthropomorphisms -- in short, a sum of human relations, which have been enhanced, transposed, and embellished poetically and rhetorically, and which after long use seem firm, canonical, and obligatory to a people: truths are illusions about which one has forgotten that is what they are; metaphors which are worn out and without sensuous power; coins which have lost their pictures and now matter only as metal, no longer as coins.
We still do not know where the urge for truth comes from; for as yet we have heard only of the obligation imposed by society that it should exist: to be truthful means using the customary metaphors - in moral terms, the obligation to lie according to fixed convention, to lie herd-like in a style obligatory for all... -Nietzsche

Because we have for millenia made moral, aesthetic, religious demands on the world, looked upon it with blind desire, passion or fear, and abandoned ourselves to the bad habits of illogical thinking, this world has gradually become so marvelously variegated, frightful, meaningful, soulful, it has acquired color - but we have been the colorists: it is the human intellect that has made appearances appear and transported its erroneous basic conceptions into things. -Nietzsche

Over immense periods of time the intellect produced nothing but errors. A few of these proved to be useful and helped to preserve the species: those who hit upon or inherited these had better luck in their struggle for themselves and their progeny. Such erroneous articles of faith... include the following: that there are things, substances, bodies; that a thing is what it appears to be; that our will is free; that what is good for me is also good in itself. -Nietzsche

Cause and effect: such a duality probably never exists; in truth we are confronted by a continuum out of which we isolate a couple of pieces, just as we perceive motion only as isolated points and then infer it without ever actually seeing it. The suddenness with which many effects stand out misleads us; actually, it is sudden only for us. In this moment of suddenness there are an infinite number of processes which elude us. An intellect that could see cause and effect as a continuum and a flux and not, as we do, in terms of an arbitrary division and dismemberment, would repudiate the concept of cause and effect and deny all conditionality. -Nietzsche

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan
Yeah, I love Nietzsche :)

1) Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the greatest relationship (Buddha)

2)Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. (Lao Tzu)

3)In three words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. (Robert Frost)

“Bach gave us God's word, Beethoven gave us God's fire, Mozart gave us God's laughter. God gave us music that we might pray without words.”
Written on the wall in some German opera house.

"Listen up, Simon. Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not you who believes in me. Not in me who believes in you. Believe in yourself!"
"Who the Hell do you think I am?" -Kamina

Back