Final Fantasy XVI announced

Do you think FFXVI will be better than XIII and XV?

• Total voters

RyujiSakamoto

Premium Member

@DanteSC3 I don't know who the other resident final fantasy fans are on here, but I am curious of your impressions....

Hiroshi Takai from FFXIV and The Last Remnant is the director
Naoki Yoshida (Yoshi-P) from FFXIV is the producer
Ryota Suzuki designer of Devil May Cry 5 and Dragon's Dogma is apparently the battle director
Creative Business Unit III is developing the game so its basically the FFXIV team

While the trailer did not blow me away, I am interested in the setting and move away from SciFi/modern setting. With the people involved coming from an already quality/successful game, I feel much better about this than I have for 13 and 15 (which were dumpster fires in my opinion). I am hoping they can just make a great game, I don't need the most mind boggling graphics or a character with dozens of belts on his person. (Keep Nomura away for the love of god)

I do have mostly positive initial feelings from this trailer. I love the seeming return to roots of Final Fantasy I-V in being medieval fantasy rather than the various high tech and modern society that became the norm for the franchise for a little bit too long. It is being made by the team responsible for Final Fantasy XIV and the Ivalice Alliance, so that’s nice, though maybe a bit of a shame that they didn’t get Matsuno for director, since he did recently make a kind of return for the Ivalice events for Final Fantasy XIV. It does look a bit on the generic side, a bit bleak, but if done properly, this definitely could be a fine entry in the series.

I guess the main development team and Nomura are distracted with Final Fantasy VII Remake, but this may be a blessing in disguise. I’ll be keeping an eye on it, for sure. If it’s a solid game experience all on its own without leagues or DLC following it to finish it, without extraneous tie-in movies and anime series, no ridiculous product placement (which seems hard to do in a medieval setting), and released in a timely manner, then it could be a much-needed morale boost for long time fans of Final Fantasy.

As an aside, both this and Demon’s Souls Remake suffered a miscommunication implying that they would also be on PC, with Demon’s Souls flatly denying that it will come to PC at all and Final Fantasy XVI refusing to comment further, so if it ends up being a PS5 exclusive, I probably won’t be playing it, which is a shame if it turns out to be quite good. But I feel like, worst case scenario, it will be a year later delay like Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Ooh I think it looks fun! I agree though it's a little underwhelming/bland somehow,* but I can't quite put my finger on it. I do like the throwback to older worlds and less of the modern day look. I miss Amano's character designs; I know we'll probably never get them back, but at least these characters don't look too "Nomura" in their appearance.

* I say this in reference to Dissidia saying the trailer didn't blow him away. I feel the same.

It seems Nomura and the FF13/FF15 people are busy working on part 2 of the FF7Remake. So much for part 2 being released in 2021!

Somehow I get the impression that this game could get reception on the level of FFIX and FFXII (aka a more muted reception because people love Nomura's designs....)

Wouldn’t the entire point of having the two different teams be that they wouldn’t delay each others’ productions? I would still expect FFVII Remake Part 2 to be on schedule (if that even is 2021, they haven’t said) and FFXVI will come out when it does, but I would be surprised to see it in 2021, since they didn’t give us a date. The only thing I’d say for sure about 2021 is FFVII Remake Part 1 coming to PC/Xbox/Switch.

Wouldn’t the entire point of having the two different teams be that they wouldn’t delay each others’ productions? I would still expect FFVII Remake Part 2 to be on schedule (if that even is 2021, they haven’t said) and FFXVI will come out when it does, but I would be surprised to see it in 2021, since they didn’t give us a date. The only thing I’d say for sure about 2021 is FFVII Remake Part 1 coming to PC/Xbox/Switch.

Yes but considering how much effort it takes for them to makes these games, I just cannot imagine a game the size of FF7R getting a sequel in 2021.
The FF13 sequels while reducing their budgets through each sequel, had two year cycles between games and had a large swath of content.

Indeed 2021 makes sense to milk the FF7R1 for PC and xbox/PS5 and XSX ports

Well I can already picture who the next guest for Calibur is going to be if there's a season 4. Regarding the game itself, it's funny but also depressing that the elements I like about FF16 are not staples of the Final Fantasy games while everything else that the series is known for makes me cringe. I hope the final game lures me in though, I haven't enjoyed a game past FF9 and could do with returning to the series.

It would be devastating if it XVI wouldn't live to its expectations as I am pretty much excited to play it once released. I could not imagine waiting for 4 years only to be disappointed. :/

If any of you have ever played FF14 for any length of time, you'd be aware of the talent behind this project bodes very for FF16. Takai and Maehiro are very good at what they're doing, and Yoshida's management style has done very well for the development team.

Back