.:. Gabriel’s CAS Cornucopia of Homages, Originals, Recolors, and 3Ps .:.

Thumb Beast.jpg

The Beast
  • Credit: Myself and my sister
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★1/2
  • CAS Type: Homage
  • Source: Walt Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (film)
  • Style: Raphael (weapon: rose)
  • Brief biography: Arrogant jerk prince turned “hideous beast” by a traveling sorceress, must find true love before a magic rose completely wilts or he’ll stay that way forever. Does anyone not know this?
  • Creation notes: OK, this one is only so-so. The real Beast character is not really that humanoid, he has dog-like legs, massive paws, an arched back, a more animalistic face, etc. This character at least resembles the Beast however (especially at size 5), and works in the context of the other Disney characters. The biggest problem is the face, which we didn’t spend a whole lot of time on. Originally my sister had one of the masks on it, and to me it’s a tossup what works better, mask or not. We tried adding a tail, but it just looked... wrong. But in any case we weren’t being very ambitious, just clowning around, so I’m satisfied. My favorite part is the card — looks pretty convincing in that pose from the back!
  • Updated 3/29/12: fixed his eyes so they are blue again (not pictured).
>>>>> Open spoilers tab for pics! <<<<<
SCV The Beast 1.jpg
SCV The Beast 2.jpg
SCV The Beast 3.jpg
And for reference:
beauty-disneyscreencaps.com-8939.jpg
beast.jpg
beauty-and-the-beast-2.jpg

Thumb Belle.jpg
Thumb Belle Ballgown.jpg

Belle
  • Credit: Myself and my sister
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★
  • Source: Walt Disney’s Beauty and the Beast (film)
  • Style: Raphael (weapon: rose)
  • Brief biography: She wants more than this provincial life! She’ll settle for a prince and a castle full of servants and books. She’s also beautiful and smart. So basically she’s struggling with life like the rest of humanity.
  • Creation notes: This is about as fast & simple as it gets. Outfit 1: pretty basic, but iconic enough to be recognizable. The apron could only extend down so far with stickers, this was as good as we could get it. Not much to say really. The card was funny because there was an actual reason to use the teapot graphic. Outfit 2: the ballgown is again pretty simple and iconic. The only challenge was extending the sleeves up to the shoulder and adding the shoulder fabric, which was done using crescent special equipment. It looks better still than it does in motion (lots of clipping). Once again, the rose was chosen for plot reasons and also the motions of Raph’s style look reasonable. I had a suggestion to use Ein, which was pretty funny.
  • Updated 3/29/12: made Belle’s blue dress paler. Fake extended her neckline with a skintone sticker on the shirt. Not pictured: made her gold dress’s torso & gloves darker, and removed the gold stickers on her upper arms.
3/29/12 Updated Version:

SCV Belle Alt.jpg

Old Version:

SCV Belle 1.jpg
SCV Belle Gown 2.jpg
SCV Belle 2.jpg
SCV Belle Gown 1.jpg

(It is, by the way, an amazing coincidence that these two rows lined up to be the exact same horizontal width. I cropped the images to random widths, the only thing I normalized was the height (640 pixels), so it is truly a staggering yet completely trivial coincidence.)

SCV Belle 3.jpg
And for reference:
beauty-disneyscreencaps.com-53.jpg
Belle-Screenshots-belle-13114379-960-540.jpg
Belle-Screenshots-belle-13114383-960-540.jpg
That’s it for tonight! Tomorrow Next week I’ll work on uploading some of the formulae, and finish uploading the remaining homages.

WOW, YOU CAS CHARACTERS ARE SO AMAZING I CAN'T EVEN COMPARE WITH MY PICS THESE ARE SO AWESOME IMEAN U GOT LIARA TSONI THANE AND FRIGGIN COMMANDER FRIGGIN SHEPPARD ARE U SERIOUS U ARE THE SICKEST OHSNAP I NEED TO GET TO WORK IMPROVING MY OWN GALLERY AND....

......*ahem* I luv your CaS gallery! :D

Not a Mass Effect player myself, but yeah Liara looks really good, especially without the scaled fauld. If you need to free up some stickers for the jacket, might I suggest swapping the "1" stickers with either the leg or boot stickers? I used "1's" on legs before on my Rei (Fist of the North Star) CAS (in my gallery, don't want to post my own on your thread), and that would allow you to use zippers or something else for the jacket.

I don't understand Shepard's monocle or shiny pants, without the pants it would keep his bodysuit's patten going downwards. Without the monocle, you may be able to use the feathers of courage to extend his torso armor, maybe? Just some thoughts.

Haha, thanks everyone, this is a really positive reception!

UPDATES/REVISIONS 3/29/12

The masses have spoken, and so I have made revisions. All the original posts have been updated with this information / these new images, but they are collected here for convenience.

This is actually more of an alternate than a revision. I like my original armored Liara, but just to show my appreciation for all of your input, here is an alternative without armor. Silver Gauntlets were replaced by Tiger Lily Gauntlets, and the upper sleeves were made white. The Scaled Fauld (and indeed any belt equipment) was removed so that the Noble Dress is now continuous. I looked at alternative faces, but I still think this one matches Liara the best although it is admittedly too “cute.” I removed one sticker that was creating a blue trim to her... um... crotchplate, and used the free slot to create a blue belt on her back. I believe that’s all. Note: several more updated pics than shown below are attached to the original Liara post.

SCV Liara Alt 1 (1).jpg
SCV Liara Alt 5.jpg
and i want the friggin formula to see if i can improve on it, your groundwork is that good ;o)
Your wish is my command. Formula added to the original post (page 1).
Spent another hour making tiny subtle changes to his head. The biggest difference is in the color, texture, and position of the “head plates” as well as the addition of a central ridge that Thane has. I think it’s slightly closer to Thane now, and I don’t think that I could get any better unless I tried a significantly different approach. I looked for other faces, but it was too difficult to compare because every time I had to fix the eyebrows, eye color, eye white color, and face makeup. In the end I stuck with the original face I used, but it’s possible one of the other faces might have been better. Note: one extra updated picture is included in the original Thane post.

SCV Thane Alt 2.jpg
Made the hair ribbon blue (like it is one scene, also looks more French). Extended the tunic using stickers. Made the belt dark brown. Added a yellow collar using stickers.

SCV Gaston Alt.jpg
Made the blue dress paler. Fake extended her neckline using skintone sticker on the shirt. Not pictured: made gold gloves and gown torso darker, removed stickers from shoulders.

SCV Belle Alt.jpg
Changed the face. Much better, thanks for the suggestion. Don’t know why I didn’t use this face in the first place. BTW, the reason I used the Glossy Leggings is to extend the appearance of leg armor up to his waist. Otherwise he looks a little too vulnerable in his midriff.

SCV Cmdr Shep Alt.jpg
Fixed his eyes so they’re blue again, the way they were originally before I accidentally reset them. No picture.

My apologies. You did a really damn good job then.
No problem, I feel your pain (obviously!).

Photography tips for shooting a TV screen (these assume you know some basic photography or are at least willing to refer to your camera’s manual):
  1. Set file mode to RAW if you can. If you don’t have RAW on your camera, you are going to need to pick a manual white balance setting that gets you good color from your TV (experiment). Don’t leave WB on auto if you can help it, or your colors will vary randomly from shot to shot.
  2. Set your exposure mode to manual (M).
  3. Set your shutter speed to 1/60, so only one TV frame is ever shot (avoiding blur and frame overlap). If your 120 Hz or 240 Hz HDTV has a fancy frame interpolation feature some overlap may be unavoidable, but faster than 1/60s and most TVs don’t put out enough light to capture without too high an ISO. So shutter at 1/60 is usually the best choice.
  4. Set aperture to maximum (lowest f/number) and increase ISO gradually until you reach correct brightness (check your histogram, if you can display it on your camera - avoid clipping the highlights). This yields the cleanest possible image.
  5. Make sure you are square to the TV (i.e. don’t shoot from slightly off to the side), and use a low-distortion lens if you own one. If your lens is a zoom, the lowest distortion is typically in the middle of the zoom range (e.g. 35mm on a 18-55mm lens). Consider using a tripod if you have one, just for convenience’s sake. Position the camera so your TV, or even better just that image portion you want, fills the viewfinder — using all of your sensor’s resolution.
  6. If you have RAW capability, shoot one SCV CAS image with a 50% grey value (0:0,16) chosen on the color picker. You are going to use this image to manage white balance later. If you don’t have RAW, you can skip this step, but do try to get your WB set properly as mentioned earlier.
  7. Take all the pictures you need. Keep manual settings the same from pic to pic.
  8. If you have a RAW editor (e.g. Aperture or Lightroom), use your 50% grey picture that you took earlier to color pick for a custom white balance. Apply that custom WB to all the photos from that session and future sessions.
  9. Adjust exposure, crop, resize, and export.
  10. ?
  11. Profit
It sounds complicated, but really it’s the most effective and efficient way; once you configure the manual settings, you can simply click-click-click knowing that every single shot will be perfect.

OK, been busy recently but I’ll upload a few more. Next up is... Cloud and Sephiroth. I know, I know! Don’t hate me, please. It’s just one of those things that has to be done.

Thumb Cloud.jpg
Thumb Sephiroth.jpg

Cloud and Sephiroth
  • Credit: Myself
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★ & ★★ respectively
  • Source: Final Fantasy VII (game)
  • Style: Siegfried
  • Brief biography: Emo memory-scrambled self-proclaimed SOLDIER and alien hybrid genetic experiment badass. Icons of a genre, since used and abused by Square Enix in every possible form. Whether you hate them or love them, you can’t get away from them.
  • Creation notes: Cloud works pretty well, better in SCV than in SCIV. Used three cones with stripe texture for the hair. Everything else is pretty simple. Sephiroth looks better in motion than he does in stills; used crescents for bangs. SCIV Seph was better. Back in SCIV my sister and I did pretty much every FFVII character; I only resurrected these two out of a sense of tradition and very watered-down nostalgia. I may try some other FF characters, but from other games in the series; this iteration is more than played out.
  • Plan: Make Cloud’s pants solid (not striped). Experiment with different shoulder / arm accessories.
SCV Cloud and Seph 4.jpg
SCV Cloud and Seph 1.jpg
SCV Cloud and Seph 3.jpg
SCV Cloud and Seph 2.jpg
And for reference:
200px-Cloud_Strife_art.jpg
Sephiroth.png
33494lphfg1pxic.jpg
241644-bigthumbnail.jpg

Thumb Setsuka.jpg
Thumb Setsuka 2.jpg

Setsuka (SCIV/BD version, +alt)
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★★
  • Source: SCIII, SCIV, SCIV BD (games) — using SCIV/BD version
  • Style: Alpha Patroklos
  • Brief biography: Caucasian raised as Japanese by a master of iai techniques. Vowed revenge on Mitsurugi for killing her master, whom she realized she loved only too late. Evidently raised orphans in Turkey between SCIV and SCV, when she trained Patroklos for some reason.
  • Creation notes: Alpha Pat’s stance is not quite as feminine as Setsuka’s (obviously), but I had to try and restore Setsuka to the roster. I opted for SCIV/BD version because I never played SCIII. I’m very happy with the face and hair accessories, and I like the fake phoenix tattoo on her shoulder. I used the Pareo for the bottom of the kimono. I include two versions: one with the loose kimono top, and one with no top. From the side, the “no top” version looks a bit more like SCIV Setsuka, but it has a very badly done sticker on the left arm to try and fake like her kimono top is half-on. I will definitely try to revise that in the future. Overall I’m only partly satisfied with this version, still working on it.
  • Plan: see if I can fake the half-kimono a bit better.
SCV Setsuka 2.jpg
SCV Setsuka 1.jpg
SCV Setsuka 3.jpg
SCV Setsuka 4.jpg
And for reference:
Setsuka-soulcalibur-broken-destiny-character-artwork.jpg

setsuka-sc4-fix.jpg

Thumb SCV Gabriel 2.jpg
Thumb SCV Gabriel 1.jpg

Gabriel
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★
  • CAS Type: Homage (technically speaking)
  • Source: me
  • Style: Yoshimitsu (casual) / Alpha Patroklos (work)
  • Brief Biography: It’s me! In both casual and work settings (I work in a hospital).
  • Creation Notes: Heh, this one is kind of a joke. My brother, his girlfriend, and my sister all made themselves, so I followed suit. The casual outfit is pretty typical of what i wear: jeans, grey sweater, white T, brown belt and sneakers. I work in a hospital, so the alt outfit is supposed to be slacks, shirt & tie, white lab coat, gloves, pen & penlight, ID badge, etc. I think it came out pretty well. I had to use a sticker to extend the waistline up a bit, otherwise the rise on the slacks was way too low. Faked a high belt with stickers. The one lacking feature is the hair; corporate Cut isn’t quite accurate. The most accurate hairstyle was the ponytail, if you chopped off the ponytail portion (heh). Tried to see if some kind of head accessory would clip the ponytail and just leave the head portion, but no go. Oh well. I like the player card for the work outfit because the A.Pat weapon pose looks like I’m drawing a solution or using a pipette or something.
SCV Gabriel 3.jpg
SCV Gabriel 1.jpg
SCV Gabriel 2.jpg
No reference pics for this one. I’m not quite that public with my personal information online, sorry!

OK, been busy recently but I’ll upload a few more. Next up is... Cloud and Sephiroth. I know, I know! Don’t hate me, please. It’s just one of those things that has to be done.

View attachment 14722View attachment 14723
Cloud and Sephiroth
  • My Rating (out of 5): ★★★ / ★★ respectively
  • Source: Final Fantasy VII (game)
  • Style: Siegfried
  • Brief biography: Emo memory-scrambled self-proclaimed SOLDIER and alien hybrid genetic experiment badass. Icons of a genre, since used and abused by Square Enix in every possible form. Whether you hate them or love them, you can’t get away from them.
  • Creation notes: Cloud works pretty well, better in SCV than in SCIV. Used three cones with stripe texture for the hair. Everything else is pretty simple. Sephiroth looks better in motion than he does in stills; used crescents for bangs. SCIV Seph was better. Back in SCIV my sister and I did pretty much every FFVII character; I only resurrected these two out of a sense of tradition and very watered-down nostalgia. I may try some other FF characters, but from other games in the series; this iteration is more than played out.

And for reference:
200px-Cloud_Strife_art.jpg
Sephiroth.png
33494lphfg1pxic.jpg
241644-bigthumbnail.jpg

Le Bello notices that Cloud's trousers, in your CaS, are stripy, but in no outfit does he have those.

Knowing your refined eye for detail, Le Bello thought it good to bring this to your attention?

Le Bello notices that Cloud's trousers, in your CaS, are stripy, but in no outfit does he have those.

Knowing your refined eye for detail, Le Bello thought it good to bring this to your attention?
Good call! I’ll add that to the plan and update him when I get around to it.

Back