General Understanding of Connection ports and Monitors

Are you looking forward to buying a gaming monitor for 2015?

• Total voters

franman

[13] Hero
Intro
CES 2015, an electronic hardware expo, has definitely display a lot of interesting tech which looks promising for the year 2015 and for this topic I'm here mainly to post a general overview of the currently existing ports for monitors including the latest one from CES 2015 as well as monitors.

Brief History
Back when we use to have CRT monitors, we use rely on analogue connections. As console gamers you're likely to use CRT TV monitors and the options for analogue connections are RCA (the three plugs consisting of red, white and yellow) and composite (which have way more plugs than RGA) some include "s-video" an option to display sharper resolution. As for PC gamers, they use VGA.

Forward to now
Nowadays monitors (both TV and PC) have already came a long way and it came up to point where monitors are beginning to display resolutions @ 8K. Furthermore, CES 2015 has introduced a new type of cable connection that supports this resolution. Back then we know that types of monitor connections are RCA, composite for analogue, then there's digital connections such as DVI, hdmi and currently display port (which has a lot of potential I say for better gaming experience), but there's new cable on the block and that is super MHL supporting 8K resolutions @ 120 Hz/FPS.

Hz & gaming
But what does that mean for gaming? what will you notice if you game with a cable that supports 120 Hz? You'll notice much smoother animation and the higher Hz is a contributing factor to greatly reducing motion blur. What you maybe confused about is that a video game runs @ 60 FPS; how does the 120Hz/FPS factor into this? From what I gather (take this one with a grain of salt), those extra 120 FPS are in-between frames added to the existing 60 fps; so instead of choppy like and blurry motion you'll get smoother and much less blurry motion.

Display monitors VS TV monitors
Going back to monitors, display monitors (computer monitors) are technically better for gaming than TV monitors because display monitors are capable of running the same resolutions at higher frequencies (Hz) given that you choose the right type of cable that supports it, but that may change since CES 2015 has introduced big monitors (assuming its TV) that run @ 8K with super MHL.

Panel Types +G-Sync/FreeSync
Among TV and display monitors there are panel types which we came across. There's TN-Panel which is generally best for low input lag in gaming but the view angles are poor and you can't see at those angles, IPS has better picture quality than TN with viewing angles being solved. IPS use to run at very low frequencies but as of CES 2015, the highest frequency the latest IPS can reach is 120Hz @ 4K resolution so that was definitely a break through. Continuing you have plasma with better contrast ratio than TN and IPS; however with burn in image then there's OLED which is rumoured to be the best panel for gaming potentially; better contrast than plasma, may have no input lag, may have no ghosting/motion blur. However during the early stages of OLED and its still in the early stages of development, it did have some input lag and motion blur. I guess we'll have to wait and see how OLED has evolve down the road of 2015. In addition, many gaming monitors feature G-sync or FreeSync which gets rid of tearing and reduces input-lag.

Cables & Monitors
Capable that a particular display monitor can run certain resolutions at that frequency, it won't happen unless you choose the best type of cable to get the most or all of it. So a display monitor capable of running 1080P @ 144Hz if you connect with hdmi 1.4 you will get the same resolution but with that version number for hdmi you only get 30Hz out of the 144Hz. Display Port is the better alternative since it can deliver 1080P at much higher frequency. Display Port seems to look promising especially when it offers much support to G-sync and FreeSync but that may change with the upcoming super MHL, but until then other parts of technology such as graphics card haven't caught up to 8K yet let alone 4K which is the next common thing they need to catch up to.

Discussion
So what are your thoughts? I know I've said too much but are you planning on buying any monitors this year? Are you thrilled with the new technologies CES 2015 has displayed?

Sources
Gaming Monitors and super MHL: http://www.blurbusters.com/
Cable Types:

Last edited:
It's worth noting that G-Sync is PC only and requires a monitor that supports it and a compatible Nvidia card. Free Sync is an open standard, but you'll still need a monitor and a system that supports display port so it's basically useless for consoles.

Going for 120hz+ monitors really offers you no notable gains if you're running off a system that runs at 60hz. I just got a 144hz monitor recently and it can do a very nice, rock solid picture with the PC games I have that support 144hz. It's still responsive with the PS3 (A mighty ASUS) but it looks weirdly dithered compared against my Dell Ultrasharp IPS. (Mainly because it's a TN panel I expect.) I don't find it helping my reaction time to any notable degree.

So while nice, don't consider them some kind of magic bullet for helping your skills.

Back then in this forum there were talks of various EVO monitors; there were many posted pictures of different monitors suitable for gaming but it was unfortunate that it died down.

Sort of resurrecting it TFT central has done a review on the Acer Predator XB270HU. This is what it looks like:
6.jpg

What's cool about this monitor is that it is an IPS monitor running @ 144Hz. The fact that it also includes ULMB which I believe is a program for blur reduction and G-Sync is a big plus.

And the input lag? Well here's TFT's comparison chart:
lag.jpg

---------------------
BTW Linus pretty much explains about Freesysnc as well as how tearing and input lag happens.

Last edited:
that is true because this monitor only accepts display ports which our current gen consoles don't currently have.

I wish the next SC will also be available on PC as Capcom did with SF4.

Back