Grim Stride Cancel Guide

I would've posted this sooner (when it wasn't old news), but I've been without a computer for quite some time. I figure this will still help newcomers or people unaware of the finer details of the cancel.

WHAT IS IT?

The Grim Stride Cancel is a glitch that shortens the recovery of GS by entering Night Side Stance, and then canceling the entrance to NSS to return to neutral.

It is done by inputting b+kG as soon as Nightmare enters a crouch during GS. The sooner you cancel, the better.

Canceling allows you access to several tech traps and down traps, as well as making 33B6 and 66A6 safe on block. It also makes other GS entries (66K6, GSB6, etc) safer, but not entirely. 33B6 is the most ideal move that you'll be using the cancel with, and the move this guide focuses on.

Since the cancel is done with a G input, you can cancel with a JG, which will JG 2As, 3Ks, etc, but you will have to adapt your cancel timing dependent on the speed of the move you're trying to JG.

Because the best answer to 33B6 is no longer a simple 2A, people will try other, riskier things. They will grab you, 2K you, go for guard damage, or try to step on prediction. Knowing this, you can take advantage of things you normally shouldn't be allowed to, like getting away with 33B6 GS B on block.

You can get a very good mixup with run in > 33B or run in > 22A/aga.

Assuming you cancel perfectly:

33B is -7 or better, unpunishable by natsu 4a+bA/2bA and aPat's CE.
33B is -9 if you try to attack from a GS cancel, including CE. Usually it will be -11 or -12 unless you're a robot.

You can JG things that are i11
You can GI things that are i17
You can cancel fast enough to 8K/8B 2As and 2Ks

The list of followups are:

Tech traps/down traps
NOTE: Almost everything is guaranteed if you get the earliest cancel. Tech traps become combos in this situation.

GSB - catches all ukemi and downed. Harder to catch right ukemi against smaller hitboxes, but still doable with practice. Some characters (aPat, for example), if they ukemi to the proper direction, will be hit with a meaty GS B, not letting you get the full combo.
44(B) - Catches right ukemi and grounded. Will cover right ukemi if you're having a hard time catching it with GS B; will also leave you at plus frames should they ukemi the opposite direction.
66B - highest damage (next to 4BB) against grounded opponents. Use if they won't ukemi. Can catch right ukemi if they land very close.
3B - Catches all ukemi and grounded. Timing varies from hitbox to hitbox. Easier if you don't GS cancel.
2(K) - Catches people who hold G and don't ukemi. Will catch roll.
4BB - Highest damage and catches all ukemi and grounded, but you have to cancel perfectly. Opponent can ukemi out of second hit in most situations.
4A+B - huge down trap against certain characters (see spoiler below). If you cancel perfectly, it will catch all rolls and backwards ukemi for ridiculous damage. It works against the entire cast (minus Zwei) at tip range.

Combos
GS K BE - hilarious long range reverse RO/wall splat. Guaranteed, might be JUGable though.
AGA - Left side wallsplat/RO
2a+b - Meter, good for finishing off a round.
6 GS B - Eaisiest followup, good for finishing off a round. Gives you a backturned 50/50 wakeup.

All ranges: xiba, cervy, aeon, nightmare, rugi, yoshi, voldo, algol, apat
Close and tip only: ezio, siegfried, maxi, damp, asta
Mid and tip only: pat
None: zwei

Everyone not mentioned can left roll it at mid (round start) and close distance. No one can left roll it at tip range, except Zwei, who can do so at all ranges.

An odd issue is that some characters (Astaroth, aPat, etc) can left roll it if they are in close range and are running forward, even though they couldn't do so if they had been standing still.

I actually compiled a video going through some of the stuff the GS Cancel can do...it ain't good quality (was long before I got my capture card)...if need be I can re-record so people can get some sought of understanding of what it actually looks like in action.

I actually compiled a video going through some of the stuff the GS Cancel can do...it ain't good quality (was long before I got my capture card)...if need be I can re-record so people can get some sought of understanding of what it actually looks like in action.

post it up

Back