Groh Mini Guide

Eji1700

[09] Warrior
There's not much activity here and everything before this is prerelease, so here's a little info on what I've found so far with Groh (going from memory so names for things will be updated later if necessary)-

Basic Gameplan-

Groh has decent range thanks to the length of his weapon, and his Avenger Stance (AVG) where he splits the blades gives him excellent options up close if you can find a way into it safely. This generally means lots of poking at first and then trying to hit confirm into something that'll put you up close and in avenger, as he only has a few moves that'll let him transition safely on block.

For meter usage if you're not going to get the kill with his CE, save it for SC. Groh gets some MAJOR boosts win SC mode, which I'll cover more down below.

I highly recommend reading the Groh Specific strategy stuff built into the game. If you go to the movelist, but don't select it, there should be an option below that with a breakdown of generic systems and info for every character. Read groh's. I'm repeating some of that here, but omitting other things and it does a decent job of explaining your basic tools.

Top 10 Moves-

This is so not set in stone this early, but these are moves I find myself using for the core of my gameplan (in no particular order):

1. AA - Generic punish to keep people honest. Block and AA when in doubt.

2. BB- About the same, best used when you've got them worried about your lows.

3. 2A- get off me button to check their pressure if they're trying to get away with too much.

4. 2K- like 2a but an actual low, also good at getting more damage on someone rolling.

5. 6AA/6A6- a really nice, safe, built in mixup. KD, rings out, and can get you into stance. Use it.

6. 1A- Great long range low. A little slow and not perfectly safe up close, but also a very good way to punish rolls. 1AK in SC is AMAZING.

7. 4A6- The only move that's + on block and gets into avg besides A+B6. If you think they'll push a button after blocking hit B or K and go from there.

8. 66A/66AA and 66B/66BB- If you only do the A or the B the move is safe. Only commit to the second one sparringly and properly spaced. Or if you whiff punish.

9. 6BB/6BB6- A nice close range option to help you get into stance. Pretty easy to hit confirm the stance transition.

10. 6B+K/6A+B- tied these as they're both my go to option for big damage. 6B+K6 is a great launcher that leads to AVG A+B, 66B+K6 for nice damage (AVG B+K instead of AVG A+B on CH). 6A+B can setup AVG and lead to very nice damage if you're reading step (say when their back is to wall/edge). On LH you can either do 8A+B6 for 78 damage and setup or if you did the AVG transition you can do AVG B, AVG A+B for 4 more damage.

Bonus:
11. Everything AVG- all his options are legit. The only trick is getting into it with + frames, which often requires transitioning on hit or making them overly defensive with something like 6AA. Learning how the SC options can affect your transitions is important.

Oddities-

Just stuff i haven't seen mentioned in many places-

1. Groh's CE does more damage if you're in soul charge. From about 80 damage to 110 (about half of someones HP). Doesn't seem to matter how much SC you have left so keep this in mind if you ever find yourself with 2 meters.

2. Groh's AVG A (the spinning multihit low) can be held (AVG [A]) for a slightly delayed but stronger version. This version is supposedly safer on block and knocks down allowing ringouts and slightly better combos in some cases (CH 4A+B6, [A] for example). This is mentioned only in his character specific guide, but not actually on his movelist for whatever reason.

AVG Stance Options-

A- Multihit low. Can be held for more damage, maybe less - on block, and KD which can ring out. Very powerful as it comes out quickly and does a nice chunk. The main threat o the stance.

B- 2 hit mid that ends back in AVG. Good if you want to keep the pressure up.

BB- B extension. Decent damage, think it combos on normal hit.

K- Quick low that does minimal damage but ends in AVG still. Mix up with B for more pressure.

A+B- High damage Attack Throw. I'm guessing the main use of this is for frame traps, although i've yet to do enough testing to find out if that works off of AVG B or AVG K (i'm guessing no).

B+K- 2 hit mid guard break for a nice chunk of damage. Great for dealing with RE/GI options when not in SC. Not sure if you get any followups.

8/2- sidestep. Takes you out of AVG but might be useable to dodge and punish certain moves (soph 236B comes to mind).

Getting Into Avenger (AVG)-

Safe on Block (only tested vs Kilik's AA, so hardly the gold standard. Needs real testing on taki A and soph 236B):

4A6- Slow startup, decent range, high, but appears to be + so great to handle step and start pressure. Will beat Kilik AA if you do AVG B afterwords.

A+B6- Groh's generic break attack. Puts you majorly + to the point that AVG A+B and AVG A beat kiliks AA in testing. Like all generic breaks it's slow to startup.

On hit stuff(meaning block and AA will punish):

6BB6- I think... Again this was all minimal testing and the training dummy doesn't like multihit strings and I was too lazy to record last night. Might be safe on block , but I doubt it.

6A6- seems the goal is to use this and 6AA for a minor mixup. The second A is a combo on CH, but I think you get into AVG with advantage if you transition anyway.

66B+K6- your go to combo ender. You can get a launch on 3B and confirm into 66B+K6 for good damage and end in AVG. Ditto on almost every other launch. I'm sure it's not always optimal, but when in doubt it's not a bad option at all.

WR B6/WR A6- Putting these together because they seem pretty meh in my limited testing. More needs to be done, but if you need them you've got them. WR B seems especially bad as I'm not even sure it's safe on block if you don't transition to AVG.

B+K- just sets you into the stance. Not sure when to use it right now as any range where it might be safe seems less than optimal, as the farther away you are the less scary the AVG A/ AVG B mixup is.

I'm sure i'm forgetting a few. I'll either update later or someone else will make a real guide.

SC-

USE IT. I don't know how great SC is for some members of the cast, but given that groh's CE is mostly just combo fodder please don't waste your meter on it unless it's really really worth. Groh gets a huge power boost from SC.

Noteable new moves outside of stance wiht no stance transitions:

1AK- SC only, decent range and very high damage low attack throw.
3BB- A high damage automatic extension to his 3B (second B is basically SN B, see below).

Groh gets a new option from AVG in SC, and it's technically a new stance called Steed of the Night (SN from here on out).

Steed of the Night(SN) options-

AVG 4/6- this is how you activate the stance outside of transitioning into it (more on that later). 4 puts you behind them and 6 in front of them (always at the same distance). I think youve got some mild invuln frames when teleporting. While teleporting you have the option to do and A, B, or K followup (listed as 6A, 6B, 6K, but the 6 isn't required as long as you're in a teleport). You can of course just teleport and then go into a normal AVG option for more mixups.

From my testing ALL of these are safe on block, with the main issue being that 2 of the 3 are quite linear.

SN A- 2 hit GB. Cannot remember if it's high or mid, but either way a great option as it comes out super fast. RE is a common answer to groh's SC pressure, so remember you can blow them up.

SN B- 3 hit mid coming in from the sky. Lots of damage and a good combo followup on the few moves that lead into it often netting around 70-80 damage. If they don't quick getup you can 8B+K, 66B+k for about 106 damage. I haven't figured out the rest of his Ukemi game to punish the quick getups yet though.

SN K- 1 hit mid(?). Usually used to combo off of certain SC only SN transitions. You can throw yourself out of the ring with this. It's probably safer on block than SN B, but B does seem at least a little safe. Does KD so probably wallspalts/RO's as well and maybe has some ukemi stuff.

Getting Into Steed of the Night(SN)-

AVG 4/6- discussed above. Any move that transitions to AVG can now go into SN. This makes many transitions much safer as the quick teleport moves you out of the way of a punish, either putting you behind them in AVG for followups, or letting you do one of SN's followups for high damage and pressure.

ANY SC ONLY TRANSITION- I don't remember every option, but there's a lot of moves that can only transition into a stance in SC. THESE DO NOT GO INTO AVG, THEY GO INTO SN. It's always always the 6 version of SN (in front of the opponent). For example 4B+K is an ok long range poke out of SC. 4B+K6 in soul charge puts you into SN, so you can get in their face on block, or on hit you get a combo into SN K. I do not remember every single new transition, but their listed in training and I recommend you practice them. Of note 4A+B6 gives you a SN B on hit (not even CH) for a boatload of damage if you can set it up.

Hopefully this helps people get started. I'll throw more on here when I get home later today, but ideally someone who's actually good can start a real guide by then. In the meantime we can use this to compile what people find and hammer things out.

Combos-

I leave you with this for non SC stuff (not me, but better than me trying to show anything)-

In SC just remember that anymore that gains a transition to SN should have a guaranteed followup on hit, usually for very high damage.

Last edited:
Added a top 10(ish) list since those helped me a lot when I was first learning 3d fighters and overwhelmed by what seemed like huge movelists. I'm not 100% on what i've picked but it should help beginners narrow down a gameplan.

There is a move that looks like a jab when he is in AVG stance, what is the command for it? Does anyone know. If you look at the combo video about he does it at the start of one of the combos at 0:24.

You're probably looking at WS B6 AVN BB. On counterhit, WS B grants enough frame advantage to immediately perform AVN BB.

This is just a very special case scenario. No other move can do this or any other follow-up will work.

Back