[GUIDE] How to fix the bad d-pad! WORKS!

HitsugayaT

[08] Mercenary
note: fix idea from walletandgromice

note2: this guide is for 360 d-pad:

Hi guys! Days ago i found a guide about carving/sanding some white plastic border around d-pad to create more room for it and so improve the d-pad...

it was good and really improved the pad....but it was still not very good expecially in getting wrong directions....like doing a 1A or 3A instead of a 2A....etc..

recently i found a strange new fix about opening the pad and adding a round plastic filler between d-pad and the rubber membrane, to fill the gap between them, that actually made imprecise the d-pad.

the best plastic that you can use for this fix is the lid of Pringles can.....simply buy a Pringles can, cut a round piece of plastic from the lid and put it between the d-pad and the rubber membrane
FMBD2JVF905432M.MEDIUM.jpg

it's absurd but it works!!!! REALLY WORKS!.....it transforms your imprecise d-pad in a very precise and good d-pad.....and add a "click" sound when you press a direction!

finally now i can correctly do every direction i want! no more 1A or 3A instead of 2A etc :D .....and moves like Astaroth's 63214B+G 28B+G are now really easy to pull off!

it's incredible how a plastic filler made of Pringles lid, can do this :D

many friends have already do this fix and they are VERY happy!.....now i want to link the guide to this fix also to you guys because many people don't know about this fix and are having troubles with that damn d-pad

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Fix-the-d-pad-on-the-Xbox-360-control-pad-mor/

and this is the youtube video that easily illustrate each step.

waiting for comments :D

I actually tried this a couple weeks ago. Two very key points:

1. It is much much easier and safer to do this than you think. You do no harm to your controller, and it's very easy to undo if you don't like it.

2. I was not satisfied with the results. I still get incorrect directional inputs all the time. I gave up and learned to use the analog stick. That sucks for things like 11 or 33 inputs, since there's more distance to travel, but... oh well. Then I just gave up on that and bought an arcade stick.

Seriously, just buy a stick.

1)not everyone is good with arcade stick...so

2)i don't know how you did this fix....but a lot of friends of mine on various forums (like 10+ guys) did this and it worked perfectly.......i can easily get 11 or 33 inputs....why can't you do this?
mmmm i've read on the linked guide that a guy needed to put 2 layers of plastic instead of just 1 on his pads.....maybe you can try with 2 layers? or maybe you used a different material than pringles lid?

This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any unofficial game controller for the xbox 360 that work better? Or is it not a good idea to buy them?

unfortunatly not.....there are:

Hori Controller Ex Turbo......it has a very good d-pad.....but unfortunatly it can't be find anywhere....nor in japan too! every retailer or online shop has it as Out of Stock

Madcatz Gamepad Pro: i have this.....it was better than microsoft d-pad before this new fix.....but it wasn't very good expecially because it confused diagonals with verticals/orizontals......like if i press 2 but my finger isn't exatly at the center but slightly on the right, it will get 3......so it didn't recognize the diagonals 1_3 and 7_9 when you pressed down+right, down+left ecc......so it was very bad to press 2 and get 1 or 3 just because my finger wasn't exactly at the center of the plastic.

Joytech pad.......worst than madcatz....so...

it's better to fix the original pad with this fix...it works!!!!!!

update
i tried with a new wired pad without the white border sanding and works greatly without this passage!

good!

Microsoft is releasing a limited edition X360 controller with improved d-pad in october...

It won't be released in the states, but in Europe, Asia, and South america... because it is said to improve gameplay in Soccer games, and soccer isnt populair in the US.
Im guessing an improved d-pad will improve fighting game experience too, so im buying...

Shame Microsoft sells anything as a limited edition while it should be standard...

I've also found that lightly (LIGHTLY) sanding the face of the D-Pad with fine sandpaper helps me out. No gloss = no stick to finger.

This may sound like a dumb question, but are there any unofficial game controller for the xbox 360 that work better? Or is it not a good idea to buy them?

I use the XFPS360 360-to-PS2 adapter and a regular PS2 controller. It works great, though for some reason the only command I can't do on the PS2 controller is Ivy's new CS/SS input. I bought it from Amazon and it's a viable option, but it's very expensive ($100 + the cost of a wired 360 controller). Regardless of cost, however, it should keep me happy through every fighting game that comes out on the 360 (and for what it's worth, it's a lot more fun playing Beautiful Katamari using a PS2 controller).

The wired controller I bought for the adapter is the Madcatz Pro, which has a better-than-average D-Pad and I think is fairly satisfactory overall. It's pretty cheap, too ($20).

I'm going to try this D-pad fixing method on my wireless controller probably sometime this week. I never use my wireless unless chatting on my headset playing Castle Crashers or something, so it couldn't hurt. I'll probably be using two layers of plastic.

I use the XFPS360 360-to-PS2 adapter and a regular PS2 controller. It works great, though for some reason the only command I can't do on the PS2 controller is Ivy's new CS/SS input. I bought it from Amazon and it's a viable option, but it's very expensive ($100 + the cost of a wired 360 controller).

Wow, sounds awesome. I think I'm gonna try that out. I'd rather have a feel for playing PS controllers all the time since the tournaments around here are held on PS3 anyway. I'm just tired of trying to use an 8A+B attack that sometimes ends up becoming a 9A+B attack (which is a crappy unblockable that leaves me wide open) because of the xbox remote. I even have problems playing BC: Rearmed with it because your timing and aim with the bionic arm is everything, and sometimes it just goes in the direction that I didn't want and it costs me.

Thanks for the info, Excalibur. I'll look around on amazon.com today.

I've also found that lightly (LIGHTLY) sanding the face of the D-Pad with fine sandpaper helps me out. No gloss = no stick to finger.

quote!
yesterday i was learning Ivy's moveset and i was having problems with Coiled 214B (to go into Serpent Embrace) because the diagonal 1 wasn't very comfortable.....so i sand lightly some border and also some border surface....and my finger was moving better during 214 motion and so it works better know :D

I'm going to try this D-pad fixing method on my wireless controller probably sometime this week. I never use my wireless unless chatting on my headset playing Castle Crashers or something, so it couldn't hurt. I'll probably be using two layers of plastic.

i recommend only 1 layer....i tried 2 layers but there was too filler and so it didn't recognize down (2) direction.

however this pringles lid works greatly........but i found something new.....i substituted pringles lid with peanuts/mascarpone lid....

it's a little more thick (more hard) and opaque....and works better!

it's like this plastic lid in the top/right of the screenshot:

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FMB/D2JV/F905432M/FMBD2JVF905432M.MEDIUM.jpg

however pringles lid works good enough if you don't have a peanuts/mascarpone/something else lid :D

Back