Help deciding on mains.

kingbastek

[08] Mercenary
I want to main three characters and so far ive taken an interest in five and I would like some help narrowing it down. I know it depends on my personal style, but could you guys maybe help me decide by giving me some reasons for your personal choices? I want to pick three characters out of Raphael, Lizardman, Cervantes, Xianghua, and Voldo. I really wish Cervantes wasnt as overused as he is now because his moveset is just plain badass! I tend to go for the characters that arent as popular online though.

Lets see...
I an arrogant showoff, who considers himself very manly, silent but deadly, who thinks he can win a knife fight with a pen.
So of course I use Yun Seong and Zasalamel, also picking up Nightmare again as I did in SC2. And since they nerfed Asta I am picking him up too. And I never use a bitch, never...I let men do my fighting not women. lol

But to me Yun Seong and Zassalamel fit me like a glove.

If you're not sure who to play with just tryout everyone, eventually you will narrow it down. You might as well assess your personality, we could help you figure it out.

What are your characteristics?

I wouldnt main 3 characters till I at least mastered One...... Like he said choose who fits your personality or whoever is the most fun for you to play.... whether you win or lose if your not in this game for the tourneys or competitiveness at the end of the day then its just about who you have the most FuN playing

you have to choose who you are comfortable with the most. which movelist do you know by heart, which char do you have the most setups for etc.?

everybody always has only char he feels best with.

If you pick Voldo, you'll get victories that you don't deserve because even if the enemy knows the moves, they simply can't predict how Voldo will attack. It's pretty stupid... But some people like that. So against defensive people, you'll win unless you don't know how to use his moves... and against aggressive people you'll die for a while until you realize that you should forget about stances. Then it becomes a guessing game, or a contest of who can spam BB the most, or how many times you can manage a counter hit with 6B.
Woohoo.

Xianghua, as my personal opinion, I guess, she's half of what she should be, when you play online or against not so pro players.
SXS stance is probably fun to use, but it's absolutely useless against bad players who don't know any of her moves. So basically, you spam simple attacks and leave the subtleties aside... A girly Astaroth.
But she still has some nice attacks, it's just that excluding SXS from her game removes a part of the fun...

Cervantes is overused so you'll look like a bandwagon sheep.

i like the power characters who can knock people all over the place, especially when they have deceptive speed so you can play aggresive.

my main = asta ;p

i also like cool chars but that is really subjective.. my 2nd main is setsuka. i play her with speed and aggresion and i like her general art style. JF = cool in my books, and she is bad ass.

Well I know Raphaels whole moveset by heart, but he is a little bland to play with, which is why I want to expand my options. I think I can manage three mains instead of one though if I enjoy playing as all of them. I think in the end Lizardman will be one of my mains for sure because I almost know his entire moveset and Im working on some stun combos with him right now. I really dont know why more people dont use him because he has deceptively good speed and his mixups are amazing, not to mention his awesome Critical Finish potential! A second VERY strong choice for me is Voldo because I love his unpredictability. At the moment, im the weakest with him because its hard to manage all of the options he has at his disposal. If I decide to main him, Im going to have to spend a lot more time practicing with him than my other two mains because he is the most complicated one of the bunch. For my third main, I want someone quick with a lot of good mixups which is why I chose Xianghua. I guess Raphael and Cervantes will just be extra guys to keep things interesting. I only play against my cousin offline and we are each trying to choose three mains. He has Amy, Yun Seoung, and Mitsurugi (oh man how I hate fighting this guy! Im getting a little better at reading him though...) so far but theyre not set in stone for him yet either.

In Final Fight I used Haggar. In Streets of Rage 2 I used Max. In Soul Calibur I use Asta. I like the big powerhouses, the freight trains.

I am finally getting the feeling I am really getting to a higher level with Astaroth. (I don't play all that much.) And now I am looking for a backup. Against all odds I realised Maxi is a lot of fun to play. It's hard to keep him under control. Your timing needs to be on. I really like that though.

In short: Play whoever fits your style most. But I am also of the school that I don't want to pick the most popular characters either.

And yes, bitches should learn their place. It's at the kitchen sink.

This is my personal choice (probably not surprising as a Voldo mainer) but I'd pick them in the following order

Voldo, Xian, Lizardman, Cervantes Raphael.

Xian is one of those characters I always wanted to get proficient with but never ended up doing so.

This is my personal choice (probably not surprising as a Voldo mainer) but I'd pick them in the following order

Voldo, Xian, Lizardman, Cervantes Raphael.

Xian is one of those characters I always wanted to get proficient with but never ended up doing so.

Xian?

Usually people refer to her as X, Xiang, or Xiang Hua. Xian is... weird.

i tend to vary on playing characters. sometimes power is needed, sometimes speed and finesse are needed. depends on the person i guess.

my mains so far: Asta, Sieg, Nightmare, Amy.

I used to main voldo, but i kept getting confused from his moveset now from his sc3 moveset.

and yes, Xian does sound weird. i'm pretty sure it's a shorter way to write/say Christian.

Lets see...
I an arrogant showoff, who considers himself very manly, silent but deadly, who thinks he can win a knife fight with a pen.

LOL sounds like me all over.

Except, I like my bitches to do my fighting. Tira for life, regardless of the schtick she gets.
Also Astaroth and Rock are my other characters cause being run down by monsters puts you in your place.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Ive decided to main Lizardman for sure and Xianghua is a really strong candidate too because I like evasive characters. Voldo is such a badass character and I would love to learn how to play as him but right now I keep getting my ass beat by my cousin who uses Amy and Mitsurugi because Voldo's moves keep getting interrupted by those quick little bastards! I wanted to add another quick character as my third main so maybe ill try Taki for a little while and see how she does. Im not giving up on Voldo, I just need to put him aside for now and focus on characters that are a little easier to handle lol. Im still gonna practice with him here and there in the mean time though.

Back