Helpful Info for making your own Videos.

It looks like that device is simply that.. just a standalone video transfer box which allows you to send a composite SD video signal via USB to some storage device, like an external hard drive. I take it it encodes video on the fly all without a computer. What kind of quality you're gonna get I have no idea. It's odd though, they didnt include some way to monitor what you plan to record. I guess you would need to have 2 outputs and in your case if you're capturing from PS3 with this device, you'll need a splitter.

BTW, you wont be be able to capture any signal from the PS3 via HDMI (without modification) because the PS3 HDMI out is HDCP encrypted. So for HD, you're stuck with RGB component or composite/S-video for SD.

Has anyone actually used that Pinnacle PC-less Video Capture device?
If so, a review would be nice.

plz&thx.

Has anyone actually used that Pinnacle PC-less Video Capture device?
If so, a review would be nice.

plz&thx.

I currently use it here in Iraq. It's brain dead easy to use, just push a button and it turns on; push the record button and there you go. You can save your footage on a thumbdrive, and since it's not needing a PC, you can take it wherever you go to play. However, even in it's highest quality setting, it is far from the prettiest view that you will get. Also, you will need to have an editing software that deinterlaces, since this only works for analog signals. HD? Forget it, not happening. Skytoast is right about needing a splitter.

To sum it up: If you and/ or your friends still have non HDTV's, don't have the big money, or the knowledge of making good vids like jaxel and skytoast, but want to record your footage no matter where you are at and show your vids on youtube, then $99 bucks and a little web searching for the right vid editing software will do good. I've used it in a tournament before I had to go back to Iraq, and recorded other games like Halo and SF4, so it works. However, I will try to make the change to HD. Just got to get a laptop that can do all of what skytoast is talking about.

You get what you pay for. After that, you work it the best that you can.

Does any1 know where to get a splitter from?... I had the Pinnacle video transfer device in my head... When looking for a splitter and no1 know what the eff I was talking about... In both Fry's and Best Buy I saw coax splitters... But are there A/V splitters for composite connectors? If so, where do I get it from?

- I.C.E.

Radioshack has a Component Distrobution Amplifier (its not called a splitter), for only $50.

You need a distro-amp, not a splitter. You can get splitter cables for $3 each (you would need 5 of them for YPbPr/LR), but with a splitter, you lose 3.5db of signal for each split. With a distro-amp, you lose maybe 0.00001db for each split.

Coolio... Thanx for that...

- I.C.E.

P.S. In the process of getting the thing working we figured out that you don't need the amp thingy or those y cables if ur TV has composite (or component) out (and as it turns out mine does)... I'm assuming the videophiles in here knew this but I had no clue. Thanx for the help again.

Hey I just got an email about making videos from ps3 and xbox360 the software is called new Roxio Game Capture not sure if it's better than what you all use but it's 79.99.

On the free front, Blender is surprisingly versatile as a video compositor. (It's a 3d drawing and animation program.)

Blender is an amazingly capable tool - kick ass for what it does and the fact that it is free and they keep improving it over the years.

I don't think I've ever checked out its video editing and compositing capabilities however as I'm too stuck on the Adobe front for those things with too much invested in plugins and extensions. But seeing that the program now is all-in-one solution with even camera/object tracking, it's a nice alternative. A 3D modeler/animation + video editing/compositing solution -that rivals something like another commercial program called NUKE.

DaVinci Resolve is free to use and a fairly versatile video editor. I've found it a bit more user friendly than Vegas, a lot friendlier than Blender, and it offers editor layout options similar to Vegas, Premiere, and their own custom setup IIRC.

Back