Hey all!

orcitect

[08] Mercenary
Thought I'd introduce myself. I've been lurking on the 24/7 stream, well just in the chat, not in the lobby! I'm on PSN (PSN tag: Goukitech) so I can't hop in the 24/7 lobby sadly. Got SC5 last week and I'm just trying to learn and find all the resources I can. Previous to SC5, I only played 2D fighters; Blazblue and SSF4:AE mostly, with more of a focus on BB, but I fancied a change to 2D fighters!

At the moment I'm just spending time in practice and ranked with Devil-Jin predominantly, but I'm playing Nightmare too. Still testing out characters, trying to find a mid ground as I find Nightmare too slow and Devil-jin too easily outspaced. I love Devil-Jin's style of combos though! Any suggestions?

Took me a little while to find a SC related forum actually, I usually lurk on SRK and occasionally Dustloop but neither have anything SC related!

I have a Youtube channel tracking my 'progress' too!

Welcome dude. If you think NM is too slow, might I suggest Mitsu, Patrollklos, or Algol?
All of which are very easy to learn.

Patrokolos seems cool, I like the look of aPatrokolos but I'm not really used to the whole JF thing. (Though I can do the 3aB(be) 'TLC' with DJ quite consistently and that's a JF I believe.)

Viola is considered a good character for those with a 2D background so maybe you would like to try her.
On the other hand you can simply try anyone else. Nightmare is not a generic character, he kinda falls in some kind of niche. Same for Viola and Devil Jin actually...

I watched your first two matches in your Replays[3] video and you're not doing bad at all! I have some simple advice for you.

You're often using 22B the wrong way. It works some times but it shouldn't. Basically when you block something, it's your turn to attack, and when your attack gets blocked, it's the opponent's turn to attack. You understand that, which is good.
The bad thing is that 22B is not supposed to be used when it's your turn to attack. It's supposed to be used when it's NOT your turn. It's meant to break the rule.
So after one of your attacks was blocked, instead of blocking and waiting for their attack, perform 22 or 88 in anticipation for a vertical attack, and after a short delay, finish with B. If it was successful, you will evade a vertical and punish it with your 22B combo.
I suggest that you practice that in the training mode.

Pertaining to the same "your attack was blocked, it's your turn to block" rule, after you blocked something and the other player understands that it's his turn to block, you can attack if you want but you can also create greater pressure by walking over there and throwing them.
Depending on the distance, they might react to you coming closer and they might crouch in anticipation for your throw, in which case a mid attack will hit them instead. (Launcher!) So keep that in mind.
Low pokes serve the same purpose. They should have a little more range and their damage is pretty much guaranteed. Throws can be broken, even though most people won't do that.

Other than that, you're doing very well. The two things I talked about are not specific to Devil Jin so you can apply that with any other character if you decide to switch.

I noticed that you punished a whiff with your CE at least once. It's a great way to use the CE if you can do it consistently.

I'll have to try Viola out a little perhaps! I've been playing some more Nightmare today with quite good success. I got lucky with a few derp moments with Nightmare's CE (Someone whiffed during a fully charged CE and it just ruined their morale I think.) Nightmare seems to be quite good for learning when it's safe to throw out an attack as his attacks are fairly slowly. Trying to use agA to shut out some advances as well as 6B. Uploading a few Nightmare replays now actually. There was a Xiba who was a little too happy to use his low recovery from knockdown and I've found that 3B bA with nightmare shuts that down pretty hard, I had to hang back or charge a 44[ B ] with DJ to deal with that particular move usually. Had some success using 1[A] with Nightmare to the same effect as 44[ B ]

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm having trouble sometimes figuring out when it's 'my turn' as you've put it, I also think that I'm overusing AAB a little much when it's my turn as is it doesn't seem too good on block, fairly safe but doesn't seem to be with some characters/situations. I don't quite know the characters enough to know when a Vertical attack will be coming so that I can catch it with a 22B, Sometimes I'll time it right but other times as you say, it'll just be my turns' attack.

I try to do throw pressure with 4B3 with DJ (Can lead into A+B BE for Jin pretty well.) and I'm starting to do a similar thing with 66K6 with Nightmare, and the of course I can use the GS B if they start ducking or GS A If they try to hit me before the grab. I don't poke as much as I should, probably sticking to the 'my turn, your turn' thing too much.

Yeah, Knowing when to sidestep and mix in throws seems vital for any character on SC!

I'd usually use DJ's CE to punish because It seemed the fastest option at the time, and of course a good amount of damage.

Ah, sidestepping is not really about knowing all that much.
If you're blocking a string like Cervantes' or Aeon's BBB, you can sidestep the third B and punish it, so knowledge is applicable for that sort of thing, but...
Otherwise if your attack was blocked, it's pretty much about anticipation. You take a risk and you hope for a good reward.
Of course you can put in some effort to read their typical answers after a blocked attack, but I prefer the lazy way of just hoping for the best and switching my strategy if I get caught too many times while side stepping. :P

I think there are some characters against which sidestepping in anticipation seems less effective since they use so many horizontals for their all-purpose stuff. Cervantes is the primary example in my head, so sidestepping against him in anticipation is not worth it, in my opinion.

I've noticed a few people doing that to me with a few different strings, people sidestepping the B of Nightmare's AAB, I tend to just start using A2AA or 3AA/3A2A if they do that. I'll have to try not to play the game so linearly, throw an attack out and then sidestep and see what happens like you've suggested.

Yeah, I've found its bad to sidestep Cervantes. I think I'm gonna bounce between Nightmare and Devil Jin mostly. I'm not planning to go to any tournaments so Devil Jin seems fine to play.

Welcome to the site!

Admittedly, when I first got Soulcalibur V, I was torn between several different characters since Ivy (my main from SC2-Now) seemed pretty bad at first. Even though I learnt Calamity Symphony (her command grab) and began maining her for the fourth time, I was glad I had invested time into other characters because it greatly increased my knowledge of matchups and other little details like ducking Maxi's 66A and punishing it with FC 1B ~ G ~ 6B8 or jumping his 2A with Ivy's 9B and getting free damage out of it.

I see you have the same indecisiveness that I had when I first looked at the roster of Soulcalibur V, but evidence from your posts suggest that you prefer the powerful high tier characters like Nightmare and Mitsurugi. Even though I invested 24 hours worth of training mode to learn things about every character (I'm still not Player Level 99!!) I highly suggest a new player like you should focus on one character until you have mastered them, then you should move on to learn about the rest. Knowing about your enemy is one thing, but knowing about your own skill is another thing.

I hope I have explained what may be best for you, and below are some useful Soul Arenas and threads that might help you in due course:

Mitsurugi:

http://8wayrun.com/forums/mitsurugi.96/ - Mitsurugi's Soul Arena. Here you can discuss your ideas and opinions while also asking questions, and with Belial as the forum moderator, you're almost 100% sure to get an answer. There is also a Patch 1.04 wishlist, where you can post what you'd want to change to Mitsurugi if Namco were to ever make another patch. The threads below are what I believe are the most helpful threads within the Soul Arena of Mitsurugi:

Nightmare:

http://8wayrun.com/forums/nightmare.95/ - Nightmare's Soul Arena. Exactly the same purpose as Mitsurugi's, except it's for Nightmare (lol). The Threads of most helpfulness and importance are listed below:
I hope I haven't babbled on too long, but I have covered most helpful things in the Soul Arenas. Even though I have listed a few here, there are more! Feel free to browse the Soul Arenas at your leisure.
As for the Notations, Partisan (one of the Senior Moderators) made a tutorial for notations on Soulcalibur IV, but it still works the same. View it below and it will explain everything to you:
This is now where I conclude and allow you to go off and find out more about your favorite characters. Welcome to 8wayrun.com and I hope you have a good time here.​

Hey Mage!

Thanks for the lengthy reply!

I'm pretty set on Nightmare at the moment, the links are very helpful! I've come from Blazblue so I know the number notation and such and I've kinda picked up the SC specific acronyms and such through osmosis from lurking on the 24/7 stream.

I appreciate the warm welcome!

Hi orcitect!

Welcome to 8wr! It's nice to have someone so enthusiastic to learn stuff, check streams and have your own videos for evaluation :) You're doing pretty well for someone who's new from what I see from your vids, having experience with other fighting games do help of course. At least you do stuff methodically instead of rushing and mashing like many other new players do. You probably know already that a lot of principles in BB (pretty much every FG) are present here, like mid/low attacks, okizemes, mixups, tech rolls, supers, frame traps , spacing game etc. Which region/state are you from? Feel free to ask any of these great players here questions about whichever character you decide to main at the individual character forums :)

I used to play Blazblue CT too, used to play Rachel but got a little miffed she was shit-tier in CS when she's (canonically) one of the strongest of the cast...

Hey Frostheart!

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, knowing not to just press buttons.. being able to figure out what's safe... bringing execution and such across certainly helps! I'm actually from England! So the connection to the US may be a little shaky, haven't tried it with SC yet really. In ranked I've had mostly 3 bar connections with the US which isn't bad.

Ah cool, I wasn't into fighters when CT was out, I got into BB near the end of CS2 and into EX. I played Ragna in CS2 and continued into EX with him. Rachel seems to be better in Extend, but then again I play Ragna so if I get zoned I struggle to do anything really! Naturally BB's blockstrings are MUCH longer than SC's but the mixup experience help, I'm perhaps using Grim Stride a little too much to go into standard grabs, Need to do low grabs before people get wise to ducking after a 66k

Hey Frostheart!

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, knowing not to just press buttons.. being able to figure out what's safe... bringing execution and such across certainly helps! I'm actually from England! So the connection to the US may be a little shaky, haven't tried it with SC yet really. In ranked I've had mostly 3 bar connections with the US which isn't bad.

Ah cool, I wasn't into fighters when CT was out, I got into BB near the end of CS2 and into EX. I played Ragna in CS2 and continued into EX with him. Rachel seems to be better in Extend, but then again I play Ragna so if I get zoned I struggle to do anything really! Naturally BB's blockstrings are MUCH longer than SC's but the mixup experience help, I'm perhaps using Grim Stride a little too much to go into standard grabs, Need to do low grabs before people get wise to ducking after a 66k
Do you have PSN or XBL?

Back