Hi ! How is it being new to tira ?

acojan

[08] Mercenary
Hi guys ! Its been ages since i have played SC ( i played a lot of SC2 maining cass and xianghua but played none of SC:3 at all ) and i have decided to get back into the game :D

With all these new characters to choose from since the days of SC2, i have chosen tira as my first cuz unorthodox crazy crap is just sexy like that and the has a personality disorder = epic win
and hula-hoop of death is also the best weapon i have ever heard of ....

I noticed how her stances work and the difficulty of using most of her unsafe moves preperly and i have unfortunately been scared sh***less and pretty much turned off but I am still not sure weather to abandon learning her ... shes just sooo awesome :(

what have you guy's first experiences with tira been like ?

I NEED to know this too, because I'm in desperate need of a third main, and top tier whoring isn't my style...I prefer the unique, under represented characters that have alot of style. Besides, I have Voldo for fighting off high tier garbage anyway.

When I first started playing her, all I did was spam her lows and stuff.

If you want to love playing Tira well, you're going to have to love the very basics of SC's mechanics, cuz that's what she is (At least when I play her now). I space, poke, step, and hope for a whiff. She's like Hilde except instead of a win I get a 22A or 6B when they whiff.

BC: You'll find her somewhat similar to Raph. Kind of. Well, maybe not that much but you have to play both defensively.

Note: I am speaking of JS only, cuz whenever I hit Gloomy I uncontrollably spam 3B and 2A+B.

A good place to start would be checking out the Tira General Strat Thread. It's a bit big, but you'll get plenty of good ideas of what you're supposed to do with Tira.

But the first thing you need to understand about playing Tira is that you are playing one of the worst characters in the game. On paper, she has absolutely nothing good going for her. Her range is too short to compete with long range characters like Sieg or Astaroth, she's no where near fast enough to deal with close-range scrappers like Amy or Taki, and her damage off of normals pales in comparison to hard hitters like Mitsu or Sophi. When you take her to play against seasoned players, you will get frustrated and find that her tools just aren't as powerful as a more well-rounded character.

That said, Tira is a mixed bag of sorts. Like Nukleurfire says, you have to have a good grasp of basics to play Tira correctly; blocking, stepping, punishing, etc. It's all about being able to adapt and know what tools are available to you at any given moment. Adaptability also means getting comfortable with both her moods; both her moods have very different tools available to her, but this is the best way of thinking about it:

Jolly: More unsafe, slower, much longer range. Use JS to space and poke.
Gloomy: Faster, better frames (generally) more damage, higher combo potential, less range, self-damages. Use GS for heavy-hitting moves and big combos.

The last thing to know about Tira is this: Be fearless. Don't let her negative frames frighten you. Your strongest weapon is the fact that Tira is so overlooked, that many players don't know how to deal with her. No one will know her frames better than you, so do your best to be unpredictable.

The last thing to know about Tira is this: Be fearless
lol, this is what i'm doing. i go in all guns blazin, i either kick ass or get whupped.
i know what you mean, on paper she must be the worst char. but ive found that compenstaing for chars bad points really helps your over all game with other chars, hence, tira's my new girl.
i find myself desperatly trying to get into gloomy and go to town on them, but thats what usually gets me in trouble.
edit:am i right in thinking i should learn to use tira as she is in jolly, and then get damage if/when i get in gloomy? kind of like a 70/30 80/20 split?

Your strongest weapon is the fact that Tira is so overlooked, that many players don't know how to deal with her. No one will know her frames better than you, so do your best to be unpredictable.

This is extremely true. Most people aren't expecting a some of Tira's moves. My first time using Tira wasn't very good but I eventually god a lot better with her. The thing is you need to attack and when they are about to reply use the Grim Reaper move (or the other one I can't remeber the name) to quicky over power their move. Usually they aren't expecting that.

Back