How do you do Just Guards Online?

HydroJames

Shining Sea Dragon
I'm been practising in training mode learning how to punish the main moves of many characters. Once I got the rhythm down, I was able to JG and punish the attack. However, when I practice with frame delay, which simulates an online bout, JG's are near impossible for me to do.

JG require precise timing and, when fighting online, inputs tend to lag at least 5 frames behind.

So, I'm asking you, Masters of Soul Calibur, how you manage to pull off JG online? I've seen you do it before...

Don't bother in 1/2 bar situations (which is what frame delay training feels like anyway).

Usually works for 3 bars and is just as in offline with 4/5.

Do you have people you usually play with online? I find that much more useful than frame delay turned on.

Don't bother in 1/2 bar situations (which is what frame delay training feels like anyway).

Usually works for 3 bars and is just as in offline with 4/5.

Do you have people you usually play with online? I find that much more useful than frame delay turned on.
I usually wait for Party Wolf to hold an open room. I don't want to play randoms because I don't to risk running into sore losers.

Just to clarify, the window for a just-guard is tapping and letting go of G within 1/2 of a second of the impact.

I find it easier to perform just-guards by tapping G and sliding my finger off the button very quickly rather than trying to tap and pull my finger off of the button.

It just takes practice. The longer you play, the better you'll get at it.

My advice to you is to get comfortable with it first. Find moves that give plenty of time to react, and/or practice just-guarding the second swing of typical two hit combos. AA, BB, things you will see coming, and you would be surprised how many there are.

Meanwhile or afterward, practice just-guarding those pesky unblockables. Astaroth and Nightmare are easy to practice against, while Raphael and Cervantes are more difficult.

It takes a while, but it is possible. I've got a friend who has focused his whole style around just-guarding and he's only been playing for a couple months now. He's better at it than I am.

Generally I just get a sense of their timing and guess. Sounds horrible, but it works ok.

In terms of utility it's easier and usually more effective to JG hits in a string where you have a predictable timing to play off of.

Also most moves that are safe, you can just tap G afterwards and you'll JG any fast response in that manner.

I really need to learn this stuff. I've fought against people that just guards/ guard impacts EVERYTHING. It was insane I did n't know what to do in that fight. I barely landed a hit or two without getting just guarded or guard impacted, but every single combo they did entered flawlessly. I really was a mop there. BTW I play Viola and Phyrra Omega.

Back