How to beat button mashers, help!

Dab_Of_Oppo

Gentlemen of the Road
Right, time for personal embarrassment, and you may mock my lack of skill freely (I know I still need to learn a lot, you stating it would be redundant).

I lost 11 out of 13 matches to my button mashing cousin. Just now. Have a laugh! I sure as hell did!

So, how do you beat the spastic beings known as button mashers? Everything I tried was not working out correctly (main is Pyrrha, if you can call it maining). The two rounds I did win everything clicked and I wiped the floor with him, but otherwise it was laggy as hell and nothing was connecting. Anyone want to play me online, or help me get better at this game?

Lastly, and not wanting to make excuses, would my sister Skyping and streaming Netflix during the entire series of matches have anything to do with it?

My first suggestion is to create some space between yourself and the masher. If you have time to observe what they're doing, you can dive in when there's an opening (though obviously this doesn't work if it's really laggy).

Alternatively, pick a character with a built-in guard impact and counter-spam their spam. Heh. I recommend Nightmare, his A+B counters so many things...

(And yeah, someone using a lot of bandwidth on your connection can definitely have an impact on latency.)

Guard what he does, then 236B.

Chances are, if he's mashing, he won't block it and he'll eat it at the start of his next attack.

Well you can do what the 2 gentlemen before me said, as well as using your meter for GI, followed by combo.

Turtling and punishing is probably the best way against a spammer.

Also, if your playing Sc5 online, make sure nothing else is leeching your bandwidth. Streaming videos such as netflix take a ton of data.

Stun and knockdown on counterhit moves are often the easiest way to beat mashers.

Well that and blocking.

Thanks for the help, will definitely be using more of those. Now to just remember them. ha

Have you tried kicking him from your lobby?

He's family, and we're all close, don't want to be ill-spoken-of in the village.

Block something. Push BB. If he gets hit, push BB again because he's probably still mashing buttons and will now eat a CH. Repeat.

Yes, Netflix and Skype will own your bandwidth.

Just pretend you are going to charge right into him then stop. He will probably attack, then hit him right after.

If your only using Phy can't offer much advice as i know the girl as well as i know the new creepy neighbors who just moved in the area.

i suggest pretty much everything Zyrusticae saidwith a hint of using and mixing your quickest attacks while switching it up with your :6::6::B: or :6::6: :A: moves, since there usually very quick and fairly strong, but i think in Phy's case she as a really crappy hitbox for her :6::6::B: like really bad so throwing in some :K: and :2::K: really does the trick since almost all kicks have decent range and quick speed. her :4::4::K: is pretty good to. :A+G: and :B+G: are also good when you predict the spam and quick step them concluding in a hilarious punishment.

However if your cousin is using Nightmare or someone overpowered like him (Mitsurugi, Natsu, Asta etc...) then it's a whole other story, in the right hands Phy can be OP to, like Patroklos. if all else fails experiment in training mode for awhile, you'll learn new things naturally, those that work and don't work as much in a real fight. and remember when it comes to meter the best time to use a :CE:is when the other player is about to rise from the ground, is stunned or is airborne about to land those are times when your CE will connect and dish out the pain at it's peak. hope this helps Dab.

Back