Inputting CE

TxA

[09] Warrior
When it comes to inputting a Critical Edge, is there a trick to inputting it as fast as possible? I main Natsu where CE is often done after a bomb where you have a massive window to input it, but for characters whose CE is best as a whiff punisher such as Yoshimitsu's, how can I ensure I input it as fast as possible?

Right now I tend to keep spinning the stick counter-clockwise while spamming A+B+K which is still RT/R2 for me. I'm guilty of also doing something highly typical of a scrub: doing a GI when I meant for a CE.

Feel free to mock my inabilities.

I think the faster input is :2::3::2::3: A+B+K. Not sure if you've seen this or if it will help at all, but...

Never heard of anyone GIing instead of CE. Noob shuffle is just the greatest thing to see.

Thanks for the quick responses, but my issue is more to do with maximising the input speed to levels which pros are capable of. I was just curious about whether there are tricks to doing it.

I heard it was possible to input 23 23 A+B+K or 36 36 A+B+K, leaving out one of the directional inputs to maximise speed?

Just do it really fast, the game is very generous on your input.

Unless you're Nightmare then you be Grim Stance dashing all day.

Thanks for the quick responses, but my issue is more to do with maximising the input speed to levels which pros are capable of. I was just curious about whether there are tricks to doing it.

I heard it was possible to input 23 23 A+B+K or 36 36 A+B+K, leaving out one of the directional inputs to maximise speed?

Hmm you know you ROLL this input right? i hope you are not trying to input 2 then 3 then 6 individually, otherwise i dont unerstand how this can be an issue (no diss! :) ).

You press down 2 then make a quarter circle roll over your pad twice. Inputting 2323 or 3636 makes no difference, its the same movement with your thump. Take Sophitia and train normal quarter circles for by doing her 236B. Then you can do 236236B which is another input and easier than CEs. Make sure you hit the B after the last 6, also for the CE.

if you play stick just make sure you hit the 6 correctly.

As fast as possible is 2323A+B+K. 6363 is kind of awkward, but you can do that too.

It should just be a little wiggle of the thumb on pad, you rock back and forth twice. On stick you slam straight down into the gate, then hit the corner twice.

Remember when it comes to whiff punishing that you have to add on your input time when you're considering your speed. If you take something like Yoshi's 6K (i15), it's just a direction and a button, it happens immediately- you're tacking on a frame, if that.

Yoshi CE is i16, but... 2323A+B+K is the fastest possible, but only if done frame perfect. That would add 4 frames to your time (and that's if you execute perfectly, really really fast). that is, you could treat it as i20 (minimum).
so, you should consider using it in the same places that 4K works (also i20). If 4K has enough time to hit, CE can probably work. If 4K doesn't have enough time, you use CE and you'll probably eat a punish.

Watch your range, too. IIRC Yoshi's CE doesn't have the greatest initial reach, that would probably go to someone like Pyrrha Omega.

Thanks again for the replies, but Drake really gets what I mean.

It should just be a little wiggle of the thumb on pad, you rock back and forth twice. On stick you slam straight down into the gate, then hit the corner twice.

The problem stemmed from how I tend to input directions too quickly, a lot of the time with Natsu's PO dashing and movement, I make cock ups from trying to 66 then 8 for a HOV attack too quickly and nothing actually comes out.

"wiggle of the thumb" really makes sense to me; just grabbed my controller and "wiggled" to the 2 and 3 areas and it makes sense. It feels a lot better.

Hearing some frame data on Yoshi's CE was a pleasant surprise. I should be able to recognise 4K punishment windows and tell when CE is a viable alternative.

Thanks to the community for showing a generous helping hand here and not dismissing me for a hopeless neophyte!

The one I struggle with is Raphael 22B-CE. It seems like the window is very short. I get it right about 50% of the time in a battle, but for some reason I get it like 90% in training mode.

33kBE-CE is much, much easier for me to pull off.

The thing about NM's CE, is that since it's a GI, it's best to use out of recovery frames so you don't mess up by doing a 'double grim stride'. I still haven't figured out how anyone can input this without recovery-input delay.

Back