Interview Time! Episode 6: 8WayRunners

Some time ago, when Polish football team coach was looking for players for the national team for Euro 2012 he said he would try everyone. Yes, everyone. Obviously, he didn't. It was no suprise, however, that was quite an interesting idea.

Now how about I decided to interview you? Yes - you, precisely. You, who are reading this. You - member of the SC community.

slide.jpg

One thing I'd like to ask first: 1 person = 1 post. No comments, only your own answers.

Now let's jump to the questions:

1. How did you start your SC journey?
2. When and why did you join 8WayRun.com?
3. Are you following the competitive community, or maybe you prefer being a casual player?
4. Do you watch SC tournament streams?
5. Is SC the only fighting game you are interested in?
6. What controller do you mind yourself more comfortable with?
7. Are you satisfied with SCV?
8. Are you looking forward more to another installment or maybe an enhanced version of SCV?
9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episoded of the Interview Time! ?

I began playing the series with Soul Edge for PSX. I was very young at the time and just mashed buttons with Li Long to beat the story mode XD.

I joined January 2009. I joined because when I had beaten someone in SCIV online I was called a lag tactition with Yoshimitsu. Puzzled by the term, I looked it up on Google and I found 8wayrun. Ever since then I joined because I saw valuable info in the SAs.

3. Are you following the competitive community, or maybe you prefer being a casual player?
I have been a competitor ever since the half-way point in SCIV's lifespan. During that time until now, I have learned so much about this game. Even now I am still learning, and I enjoy teaching people what I have learned as well.

If the event is important enough I will.

I actually began studying VF5 before the release of SCIV. I cannot wait for the release of VF5:FS!

The Dualshock PS3 controller is still my favorite. The D-Pad is well designed for precise movement/execution.

It still maintains my interests for now, but there are some little things about the game that kind of push me away from it.

8. Are you looking forward more to another installment or maybe an enhanced version of SCV?
I'm starting to get sick of having to revamp the way I play the game after every major patch. I just want the bugs such as random whiffing to be removed. Another installment of the SC series this early on would just make me laugh...

9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episoded of the Interview Time! ?
I'll just go ahead and say me! Just kidding... I'm indifferent to who is interviewed. As long as they know how to answer questions properly.

Waaaaayyy back when it was called Soul Blade (Soul Edge in arcades)...Cervantes was the last character before fighting Soul Edge and I remember that he ALWAYS fell for Taki's 1A <---I'm pretty sure that's what the input was back then. lol

After SCIV came out. I loved the SC series and up until that time, I was a pretty casual player and decided that I wanted to get more into the competitive scene.

I wouldn't call myself a total competitive player. I still like to mess around here and there and unwind from a long day with a couple casual matches.

Yes, love watching the streams.

In playing at a competitive level, yes. Tekken has failed to hold my attention for very long and I'm not really into 2D fighters. Though, I DO like to watch SF4, SFxT UMvC3 matches from time to time, and sometimes get in some casual matches Dead or Alive 5 looks like it might be interesting though. I'll probably have to check it out.

I prefer the PS3 dualshock controller. It's funny that SC is the only fighting game that I play on pad. Every other fighter, I use an arcade stick.

I am. As much as I love the SC series, I was hoping that SCV wouldn't be more of the same. I'm glad that Project Soul put in Brave Edges, Critical Edges and Just Guards among other things.

I don't know about an enhanced version of SCV, but I wouldn't mind seeing SCVI somewhere down the road.

A lot of good players out there to choose from. It's hard to pick one. Maybe Keev or Omega DR

It all started with a badly timed bald joke,.... not really.

With a pirate copy of Soul Edge, japanese or english was the same to me 'coz I didn't know both languages anyway, in the 90's I couldn't afford an original one, also South América was full of pirates everywhere so was easy to get the japanese version, now that I work I bought the collector's edition and I'll spend my money in the next SC games because I'm a fan, I would buy the PS4,5,6,7,8 etc.. just for SC.

I joined one year ago, I wanna know more about my favorite game, I mean, I knew who is Daigo in SF but I didn't know who is representative in SC.

With 75% of online victories I would say...hmm... I prefer being a casual player, sometimes I think I don't have enough time to play competitive, that makes me feel old, lol.

Yes, yes, YES!!, I enjoy watching tournaments streams!!!, I'd hack a website to saw a match, give me more streams!!!

I like Street Fighter because is fun to watch but I only play Soulcalibur.

I didn't try a stick one at all, PS3 sixaxis pad is fine to me.

I miss Mina and I can't believe Talim isn't in the game and there are no reason to exclude her of the game, that disappointed me.

However, the gameplay is enjoyable enough to love SCV.

I'm waiting for Mina, period.

Kayane, she deserve it, She travel a lot to play this game and I feel like she is a kind of connection between SC fans and Namco, I enjoyed when she get the Leixia picture from Daishi I was happy for her.

Also she's beautiful, I read complains in streams how they don't have female players like her in their countries or in his games, we're lucky people.

When I was 7, my parents would always take me to Blockbuster to rent a video game every other week or so. I remember picking out something called "Soul Blade" on one particular trip, and from there, I was sucked into a tale of soul and swords, eternally retold

My profile says I joined in January of 2009, so I'll believe it. I had heard someone plug the website while playing SC4 on XBL, saying that it was a good place for combos and strategies and whatnot.

At this point, I'm a competitive player for life. There are times when I miss the easy-going nature of a casual player, and I always feel the burden of wanting to be the best player there is, but looking back, the competitive scene is too much to ever leave.

Depends on where the event is located, what time, who's playing, etc; if it's a big major full of lots of big names, or a smaller tournament that my friends are going to be in, I'll definitely tune in.

I just had the pleasure of seeing high level UMVC3 play for the first time at NWM, and thought it looked like a lot of fun, so I'll be trying to get into that. I've also played Tekken since I was very little, and I'm going to try to get into that competitively when TTT2 is released. VF5:FS looks great, and I'll be trying that out, too. Finally, I'll be giving DOA5 a try just so I can say I gave the series a fair shake.

I've played on pad all my life, and am partial to Playstation style controllers. For SCV, I prefer the Dualshock 3 because of the triggers, and because I enjoy rumble when I play fighting games. I recently just bought a Hitbox, and will be making the switch to that as soon as it gets here - I'm very eager and excited to learn how to Hitbox.

From a casual perspective, I'd like more costumes. And of course, it'd be nice to see some old faces return in the form of some character DLC. However, from a gameplay perspective, I'm completely satisfied with SCV.

I'd like to see a sequel 4 or 5 years from now, after we've truly played this game into the ground and know all there is to know about it. An updated version a la SSF4 or Arcade Edition is a bit different. As I see it, there are two different scenarios:

A) If it brought a balance patch, new characters, new stages, new costumes, and included some or most of the current DLC, I would buy that on release and hype it up to everyone I knew who even knows what a fighting game is.

B) If it was just a patch on a disc, I would buy it, but only out of necessity to stay competitive.

Essentially, I want them to really push the envelope on the game if they're gonna give us an updated version of it.

William Fresh.

1. I discovered Soul Calibur II after I saw the trailer for it on TV one day. I started playing fighting games with Tekken 3 at the arcade, so when I saw Heihachi from Tekken was a bonus character in the PS2 version, I was instantly interested. I also though fighting with different weapons was so cool. Soul Calibur II was the only game I played for a long time. Matter of fact, even with all of its problems, it still manages to be my favorite one so far.

2. I joined here very recently. I've been really wanting to better my game and hopefully be a part of the community.

3. I'm not 100% following the competitive community, I can name some top players and have watched a lot of tournament footage, but that's about it. I haven't been to any tournaments as I haven't found any local community where I live, although I'd like to.

4. No, but if I'm lucky enough to catch one I will. Usually I am working or something when one is showing live.

5. As of right now, yes. I hated III, and since there wasn't really any SC players where I lived it sort of made me give up on the series. When I played IV about a month or so before V came out, SC caught my attention again. When I play games, especially more competitive ones like fighting games, I like to focus on just one for a while.

6. When I played Tekken 3 that was an arcade version so I was comfortable using a stick. But it's been years since then, that was when Tekken 3 first came out. Now I prefer using a controller.

7. At the moment I'm satisfied. I pretty much agreed with the last patch that Namco put out. It seems like Namco wants to be more involved with this game. You can definitely tell it's meant to be competitive, but it appeals a lot to casual players, too. However, I still believe the game has its problems that need to be addressed. I just hope Namco is paying attention and willing to fix the problems. The community is here to help give important feedback.

8. I'd really love for there to be more Soul Calibur games. And although I'm satisfied with V, I think Namco kinda alienated long time fans, too, like taking out certain characters and really half-assing the story. Although I enjoy the fast-paced fighting system in this game, I still find it more intriguing to watch old SC IV footage, even though the game wasn't exactly balanced. I'd like to see a return to the old system of combat, like putting back in guard impacts, the old characters that we've come to love, etc. It just seems like a lot of the magic of Soul Calibur was lost with this one.

9. I don't really know enough of the people in the community, so I think I'll leave that to y'all.

Well, I first touched the Soul Calibur Series when I was 7, SC2 came out, and I saw Link on the box art, so naturally I was like "OHHH SHIIIIIT" And got mah mom to buy it with dat mommy monies. After the gamecube died out,
I never touched another SC, solely for the fact that I was 7, and had no idea it had a competitive sceen, or any sequels up until about SC IV, but at that point I didn't have a gaming console to play on, so I was like 'what evs' I bought SC5 because it looked badass, and guess what? It was.
I needed tips on how to be a better player haha, getting my ass kicked was getting old fast. I joined somewhere around March of this year.
I'd really love to be at a competitive level for this game, but Alas, I am 16 at the moment, and cannot afford a car/gas money/ insurance, so Tourneys are sort of out of the question (probably the biggest cluster of local SC player near me, are in Seattle, which is about an hour and a half away from where I live). More importantly, I need to improve my skills in this game.
FO'SHO.
Naaawh, I got into the FGC with Marvel Vs Capcom 3, and I've been dabbling with Third Strike lately.
The neon blue corded Xbox pad from Gamestop haha.
Yeah, I just wish the characters had more depth you know? Like every character has a few JFs, or a unique stance or two.
Please, No SUPER ULTRA MEGA SC5 ARCADE EDITION, please.

FahrosTTTT Please, for the love of god.

A friend of mine bought SC1 day 1 for the Dreamcast and invited me over to play it. Been hooked on the series ever since.

I was a member of the old forums that 8wayrun replaced. Joined almost immediately, as this is a better site. I joined the old forums mainly looking for frame data. I remain a member of the site primarily for: the soul arena content (frame data, combos, strategies, etc), matchmaking, and SC news (though there's nothing much on that front anymore until SC6 is announced).

I generally only follow the players that I know or have played with.

Not very often. I find watching SC (or any game for that matter) to be rather boring, I'd much rather be playing it (games are meant to be played, not watched). Plus, I'd much rather watch the recordings later instead of live, where I can skip over the boring matches, any awkward long pauses, and replay instantly anything that was interesting. I find it can be hard to appreciate watching when they are playing characters I don't use myself (and thus don't fully appreciate/understand their decisions), and frustrating to watch people play my mains and not make the choices I would have (course I know its far easier to say that you would have done something when watching than it is in a real match). I also find most FG commentators to be annoying (though super late shout out to Bibulus for the NEC SC5 beta exhibition commentary with him and Utoh [pardon my spelling if that's wrong]).
But, when there's someone I know competing, I'll watch their matches. And I'll watch them occassionally for research purposes.

Pretty much. Its the only one that I'm interested in competing in.
I dabble a bit in BB, but, there's really no scene for that around here, limiting my interest in it. I also find its constant revisions to be annoying.

I play on a standard TE stick. I also have the unusual preference of the 360 pad over the ps3 pad if I'm forced to play pad.

I think SC5 is the best of the series. I'm almost completely happy with it. I like the pacing of it, Pyrrha, the banishment of step G, its net code and strangely even just guard (though I still think re-JG should be possible, though, maybe not). I haven't had any desire to go back to any of the previous games.

I think its far too early for a new installment, enhanced version, or even a new patch for SC5. The game is still young, has players playing it, and has tons of stuff that hasn't been discovered yet in it. Leave SC6 for a couple years, let it wait for the next cycle of consoles. Constant balance patches/revisions are annoying, particularly when they completely change how the characters play (see BB CS).
I wouldn't mind a Vita port for practicing/experimenting on the go, but, only if its frame data/mechanics are kept identical to SC5 unlike Broken Destiny.

I started playing Soulcalibur on the Dreamcast when I was sent away to a group home for kids who had shitty attitudes toward authority. The staff there would bring their Dreamcast over and play SC and MvC2 with all the kids and we would just have casuals virtually everyday.

My roommates started beating up on me in Soulcalibur IV from simple Mid/Throw mixups. I got really pissed and started reading 8wayrun for effective ways to handle that and other things. Eventually it caused me to watch Lolo v. Mick matches which really made me interested in the game competitively. I bandwagoned Lolo and started maining Yoshi and then started to delve far deeper into the complexities of the game (something I had only reserved for CvS2 and Tekken).

Of course. I went to Final Round XV and am planning on going to EVO. I also watch every tournament I can, if not live, on a recap.

Whoops, I answered that above.

Currently, yes. Tekken did me very wrong and CvS2 has no logical successor. The only other games I still play competitively online are SF3SO and Vampire Savior. I may pick up VF5FS soon.

It's strange, I never played Tekken or CvS2 on controller but with SC I feel more comfortable on a pad. I could never see myself playing SC with a stick or Tekken/CvS2 with a controller.

For the most part yes. Some things I don't agree with as a player with a turtly play style (backdash nerf, movement being very risky). I'm also not 100% satisfied with certain casual features being absent, but that's not core game breaking at all. When it comes down to it, I think SCV has the best engine of any of the games in the series.

I'd love a Super Soulcalibur V. More characters to learn, certain gameplay tweaks, maybe even injecting it with those absent features I mentioned previously. I'm all for it. And of course I'll be looking forward to SCVI.

Lolo, Mick, Xeph, Heaton, or Ramon would all be great choices. Most of those guys are why I got into the scene or keep continuing to grow as a player. Especially Xeph, who I consider to be one of the strongest players in the community from who I have played.

With the very first installment of the series Soul Blade

This year actually after some reading about this forum on the gamefaqs boards so i just came here went str8 into the SA of my favorite char (style) and when i wanted to ask a question i just signed up

Casual i enjoy learning stuff and getting better but in the end i only play for fun

Most of the times i forget about them but i ve seen some vids on youtube from some tourneys

Certainly not! Fighting games are my favorite genre in the industry and i ve tried most of them, especially 3d since i suck at 2d

I always play on the console controller be it xbox for doa 4 or sixaxis for tekken 6, sc v ssf4, umvc3 etc

Tough question... I think gameplay wise is probably the best in the series the online is good as opposed to most other figting games i tried online... But i feel so many things are missing for it to feel SC V maybe if the name was SC online it would fit it better i still enjoy playing though in the end the gameplay is what matters the most

Yes pls for both

Not sure im the right person to give an opinion about this but i would like to see an interview from kayane (or another female tourney player if there is one?), kalas or a sophie player

When I was about five or six and found the Soul Blade arcade in the old movie theatre across town, I played Mina and I've been hooked on the series since. However it wasn't till SCIV that I started to consider playing competitively.

I joined at the tail end of SCIV so over a year ago, I joined because I realized that if I wanted to be able to compete on the competitive level this community was a vital tool in accomplishing my goals.

Yes I follow the competitive community. I've already been to my first tournament and though money is kinda tight being a college student I still plan on pulling enough together to attend future events.

Always, I've even been accused of watching streams to much.

Actually no, I am also interested in Marvel vs. Capcom and Virtual Fighter but SC is my first love and until I reach my SC goals I don't plan on picking up another game anytime soon.

I used to play on a PS3 pad but I made the switch to a stick which I find more comfortable.

As a competitive player yes I am. I feel that project soul really put balance as a top priority in this game. I love the new mechanics and though the game isn't perfect I definitely think installment has pushed the game in the right direction and I look forward to even better games in the future.

Absolutely, I feel like the SC fan base are far to loyal to not see another installment. SCIV was suppose to be the last of the franchise but a presidential term later we got our SCV. So as long as project soul is still listening to it's fanbase we'll have another game for sure.

9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episoded of the Interview Time! ? Definitely Ramon or RTD (RTD for the sake of the RTD/Mick beef I think we're all curious about that one.)

My little brother, back when toast was still a good food, rented soul calibur 2 and made me play it. Then many years later, when toast, of course, is now irrelevant, he made me buy and play soul calibur 4 and I never stopped playing it. Not even now.
About a year ago because my friend told me to 0.0
As close to both as you can be
Yes, they are usually pretty fun to watch
No, I play UMvC3, SF4, and pretty much any Tekken game that is put into my Xbox.
The one that came with my Xbox
Needs more cowbell, but overall yea
Sort of, do I have to pay?
Whoever the last guy said

Around the age of 8-9 years old In Council Bluffs, IA when I lived with my dad at the time and I find Soul Calibur 1 at the Aladdin's Castle arcade in the mall of the Bluffs along with Tekken 2, Bloody Roar 1 and Killer Instincts 2 and played Lizardman cause you have to be fucking nuts to not play Lizardman at least once. Later around 12-13 I got SCII for the Gamecube cause of Link but loved playing Raphael and NM casually at the time and the whole guest character on each console thing was hella tight.

I joined 8wayrun after stumbling on SC2 and SC4 tournament videos and being curious and researched as to why Hilde was a broke ass ho and Algol being Algol to expand my FG knowledge. I finally joined the website after being annoyed about Capcom stream monsters in the NEC2011 main stream and I went to the second stream and wanted to watch some non capcom games and to and watched high level SC4 action and was impressed especially with the U.S versus France battle and wanted to get some info on SCV as well. The reason I joined 8wayrun is because I wanted to get into a another FG seriously after leaving smash brothers competitively for 2-3 years mainly brawl lololol and melee later but left cause of personal reasons with the games, my scene, and the flaws the smash community has I feel when compared to other FG's. That and being banned for posting Hentai. 2 more other smashers I knew left around the same time I left and one of them has a account on here and helps try to develop our newish Soul scene in a 2d dominated area and I with word of mouth whenever I get a chance. Also my area apparently had a SC1/SC2 scene back in the day from what I heard from a very old school SC1 player and told me about the SC1/early SC2 days which was tight.

Yes I follow the competitive scene but have only entered locals so far and having no PS3 sucks but I am working to get a PS3 cause I really need one cause I was one of the 4 lucky winners to win a copy of SCV from IGN's twitter's stream contest with FlithieRich 2 weeks before the game came out and people were salty on here when I told them that. I am hoping to travel soon and get some games in with OOS players.

Yes SCV and KOF13 are my main interest when I am watching majors while Marvel is my least because finding SCV only streams as well as KOF13, SG and Tekken only streams are only 10 to 1 when compared to a gang of SFAE2012, UMVC3 and god awful SFXT streams.

No I am also interested in KOF13, Tekken Tag 2, Skullgirls and Marvel 3 a little as well the most but god help us if Capcom does a arcade perfect rerelase of CVS2 with online play cause I will be all over that stuff like a crack fiend.

Pad always have and smash even pushes this even more when i was still playing. I would love to learn stick later and get me one of those SCV hori sticks once I get my money flowing from my new job and managed otherwise need to find a good PS2 to PS3/360 converter so I can stop borrowing from MKL.

Yes a little for the most part but the game being rushed as well as single player modes as well as the koreans, Talim, Cassandra and the ONLY MOTHAFUCKING BLACK GUY Zasalamel not being in the game and word of mouth along with reviews and 3 mimics hurts the sales and one of my good friends didn't want to buy the just because Talim wasn't in there. Other than that and a small thing or two I like the game alot.

Actually yes to fix some stuff and to add characters but make it downloadable and a retail disc version but I doubt it but if it does holy shit.

I would like to see E.G Floe interview to help explain the transition of 2.d to 3.d games and stuff around those lines. Also I would to see French players, U.K players and Omega DR to be interviewed.

I wanted to try a new game and I was at Gamestop with my mom and brother, I couldn't decide what to get so my chose for me~She picked Soul Calibur 2 for the PS2 and I'm glad she did~ Loved the series ever since

I think I joined in November of last year....and I joined because I wanted to connect with other fellow SC players since nobody seemed to even know about SC in my neighborhood

I prefer to stay as casual player simply because I'm not a competitive person by nature but I do like to win and I'm not afraid of a challenge~

Yes! They help me~ I like to see how the pros do it and what tricks they use and how the space themselves and things such as that~ Also for fun~

No, I enjoy the Super Smash Bros. games,Street Fighter, and I just got started on Tekken~ I really like Lili

Hm, controllers that are not the arcade stick...I find the stick too difficult to handle ~

Heck ya! It's loads of fun...with other people. But the Creation is great fun also~

I would prefer another installment to keep the series running also I would like to see how the new characters develop and what new features they add :D I don't want a SCV Version 2.0

9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episode of the Interview Time! ?
Not sure...I suppose anyone who hasn't been interviewed :o That way everyone has had a chance to be interviewed~

Those are my answers, thank you for the interview~ ( -^^-)

1) Got Soul Blade and realized it was a fighting game without projectiles. Been a hardcore fan since although I never owned SC 1.

2) SCV was announced and I figured this place would be the best place to find any info regarding it.

3) In my eyes everyone is a player. I don't really care what you have accomplished or not.

4) I try to watch the streams as much as possible to support my favorite game franchise.

5) I like to spectate the new MK and occasionally play KoF XIII. Dead or Alive and Bloody Roar would be the only other games I actually get thrills from playing though.

6) Xbox 360 transforming D-Pad controller. My hands always feel like I'm going to break the PS3 controller and arcade sticks are just cumbersome.

7) For the most part. We could always use the missing characters back.

8) Well I will support a single rerelease if it puts the missing characters back in and maybe an across the board whiffing fix. Not doing more then one. If they decide to make SCVI then I'm 100% on board with that if it has more new styles.

9) Any Maxi or Patroklos players.

Back in the Philippines, I saw the Soul Edge arcade for the first time. I was drawn to it cause it featured a lot of weapons. At some point I bought a PS1 so that I can play Soul Edge. Then SoulCalibur 1 came out. I loved that game but I was still a casual player. I accept challengers though and I won my matches from time to time. Thats when I met the SoulCalibur community of the Philippines but it was almost time for SoulCalibur 2 arcade release. I started being serious about the game when SC2 came out.

I joined 8wayrun during SC2 days to share and get knowledge about the game and of course the character I'm using. Now that I think about this some more...this is a tricky question actually. I know that people who have been here since SC2 days that there were 2 websites back then where the people who took Calibur seriously hanged out.

Yes, I'm active in the community. I join tournaments and stuff.

Yes, but only the big tournaments.

Not really, I play SC primarily but I also like Tekken.

Right now, I'm using the SFxT FightPad SD. I love the shape and comfy for my style of play.

Its good enough. Its better than 4 but no better than 2. The lack of characters (and I lost my main too) is a turn-off sometimes.

Yes, I would like to see more characters and mechanics (and WL moves)

Any member from SC community of the Philippines, South California, North California or Singapore.

SC2, it had Link in it.
During the mass exodus from SC.com to 8wr
I follow competitive, though I've only really met a handful of fellow competitive players.
Not live.
Yes, at least competitively. I watch match vids of Marvel and SF but I can't play them.
6. What controller do you find yourself more comfortable with?
I play on 360 pad usually. Will eventually learn stick.
Quite. Other than the lack of a story mode and the unaccounted for missing characters, gameplay is good, and people still play it so that's good enough for me.
New (DLC) characters are all that would really excite me.
9. Who would you like to see interviewed in the upcoming episode of the Interview Time! ?
OOF or RTD

1. It started for me after seeing commercials for SCIV and thinking "wow that looks cool" after seeing Nightmare and Seigfried. And around that time it was pretty close to my birthday so I decided to pick it up and started playing with a friend we played it for a few hours before deciding to go hang out at his house and since he didnt have SCIV we picked up SCIII that same day. So for following years of SCIV's life I alternated playing it and SCIII, although SCIV a lot more than SCIII. Then after researching more into the series past I played Soul Edge and SC2 on an emulator. Then my friend bought Soul Calibur on the XBLA and we played that from time to time when we were on Xbox's otherwise it usually was SCIV on the PS3. And played SCIV quite often until SCV came out and now have been enjoying that.

2. I joined 8wayrun one day after meeting CuteAndDeadly online on SCIV. Having had to figure out everything by myself up until then I was only barely decent with Taki at the time, so he was using a variety of different characters and easily stomping me each time so I asked him how he knows so many characters so well and thats when he told me about 8wayrun.com and ever since that day 3 years ago Ive been a member.

3. Yes I usually keep up with what happens at the tournys.

4. Yup I love seeing all the high level play and wish I could attend.

5. No, although it is the one I am the most active on. Before SC the fighting game I played the most was Super Smash Bros. so I still enjoy playing that whenever I get around to dusting off my gamecube or wii. I also am slightly interesting in Dead or Alive having had fun playing the demo of 4 with my friend I went out and bought 4 for only 10 dollars a few months ago and had some fun with that. MK is something I dont really mind watching but was kindve turned off by one of the early ones being too complicated for me to do the moves. And then I was never really interested in Street Fighter, Tekken, KOF, VF they all just seemed too slow and drawn out I remember watching some Street Fighter x Tekken matches just for kicks and they seemed to just take waaaaay to long for my liking. Although one other fighting game Ive always liked was Killer Instinct. My dad had it on the super old ass huge block gameboy and i played it every now n then on more updated gameboys and tried out the one on the snes, I think its on that I dont really remember haha.

6. Always have and always will be a pad player.

7. Yea I'm ok with how the game is currently there's some things I miss from older SC's but for the most part I'm ok with it.
8. Yea I would be. I hate seeing a series come to an end so I hope for a SCVI but, not because SCV is bad like some people do, rather because SC is one of my favorite game series and I would hate to see it end here.

9. Hmm there are many great players out there but I would like to see the guy who has been my friend for many years who has helped me greatly and is the best SC player I've ever seen be interviewed N3ver3nding68 previously D3lthm1n

I'm an old timer. I used to play MK pretty seriously before SE came out, and about the time MK4 came out as the most horrible looking thing I'd ever seen, I was walking around the arcade looking for something better and saw Soul Edge on the other side of the bank of machines. Li Long and his nunchucks looked so awesome I had to play. I was able to dominate all my friends who played with me, and most of the random people I met in the arcade. Then I went to Tulsa in 1999 and learned how bad I really am.

I was a member of the first SC.com forums, (though there wasn't really membership, you just put the same name in every time in the name field when posting). Then we all moved to guardimpact.com, then that closed and we got shuffled over to SC.com again for a little while, then CF.com, and now we're here. I wasn't super active on the forums for SC4, but I was around. When SC5 got close to release, I began following the boards in earnest.

As an SA mod and the Casual forum mod, I'm both, though I'm far from being the best at either. I've started going to the monthly offline tournaments here and being more active in the community like I did in SC2 days, and I placed 4th and 5th at the two monthlies we've had so far. I'm also a TO now.

I've always been interested in the casual aspects like story and aesthetics. I pick my characters based on how I like their look or their weapon, since the very beginning with Li Long, more than whether they're top tier. And SC has a fairly engaging story for a fighting game, though this latest installment has been a major let-down in that area for everyone except the Alexandras.

Not live. I watch replays of the most interesting matches after they're over. There's no way I'd have time to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours straight, especially watching mostly matches I don't even care about.

No, I've enjoyed MK9 since it came out, but it's taken a back seat to SC. I've played Tekken since T2, (though I'm not very good at it) and I'm looking forward to TTT2. I played DOA2 a long long time ago and didn't really get into it. Maybe I'll try DOA5. I haven't decided yet.

6. What controller do you find yourself more comfortable with?
I played on a Hori FS3 for all of SC4, but now I have a Hitbox. It makes some things easier, like hitting diagonals and double or triple tapping, but other things like 236's and 41236's are tougher, and forget doing 360's. Fortunately SC doesn't require that.

With the gameplay, yes. With the online, a BIG YES. With the story and other casual aspects, BIG NO. We all know it was rushed and they made the right decision to focus on the gameplay, but everything that made me fall in love with SC is gone. I really am not crazy about the new characters. There was something magical about the older games that I really miss. They really made you care about the characters. Maybe it's just from the stilted story mode, or from the old timers being like old friends after so many games, but all of the new guys seem very boring in comparison.

Always. I'm hoping for an enhanced SC5 with the missing characters brought back, a good story mode, and an actual arcade mode instead of the time attack we have in this one.

Maybe one of the casual guys like Gatsu or Pocky-Yoshi. We've seen a lot of competitive players already, which is nice, but maybe something different would be fun too.

I started playing from Soul Edge but only casually, SCIV was the first time I gave competition a shot.

During SCIV I was playing 2D's in tourneys and loved sc in general so I joined 8WR and started gathering info seriously.

Yes to 'competitive' all the way.
On occasion, I watch the recordings later on most often.

Nope, I play Street Fighter, UMVC3, and dabble in Virtua Fighter.

I prefer stick for 2D and pad for 3D in general.

Actually, yes! I didn't like some system mechanic changes like the change to GI's and the mechanics of JG's but I generally think it's pretty damn good.

If another installment comes, great but I'm fine with SCV.

Ramon...... lol.

1. I played SCIII at a friend's and when I got my PS3 about two years ago, I found a copy of SCIV and remembered how fun the series was.
2. By the time I got SCIV, it had been out for a long time and I was getting destroyed by players online. I wanted to get better at the game and I got pointed here. I'm still being destroyed online, but for the most part people here are willing to help you out.
3. I follow the competition, but I'm still a casual player, though I'm working hard on improving to be more competitive.
4. Yes, whenever I can.
5. Pretty much, but I do want to get back into Virtua Fighter, my first 3D fighter.
6. I recently switched from pad to stick and I'm still in the process of transitioning, but I do feel that button presses are a lot better on stick than pad.
7. Definitely. It needs more on the story though. On the gameplay side, it's very balanced and the netcode is amazing.
8. I would prefer SCVI over a new version of SCV, but if a new version did come out, I would buy it.
9. Kayane! Or RTD or WingZero. Or even Kerrigan.

Live streams

3 Viewers
아메이카
아메이카
[(kor/jpn)] 살아있습니다

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members