Is there a difference in 8-way run speed?

Sporko

Big Gimpin
Asking stupid questions is practically becoming a tradition for me at this point but luckily for *me*, any ego I might have had about fighting game skill ended the moment I started reading all the soul calibur forums and realized there were people analyzing freaking frame data and breaking the game down into mathematical advantage.

Somebody on another forum mentioned a difference in walking/run speed. Hell, the difference might even be obvious but I'd always just assumed walk/run speed was a standard and that only attack speed varied, so I never stopped to even consider/look for a difference. Some characters certainly looked like they were moving faster but I always chalked that up to skewed perception caused by size differentials.

So is there a difference? If so who are the fastest walkers/runners, who are the slowest, etc?

Generally, the difference between the bad and good steps seems to be less than in say SC3. However, its still there and a characters stepping ability is affected by the size of his hitbox on top of that.
That being said there has been no official tier list on steps yet. All I can say is that Hilde is most likely up there.

Nah, 8 way run speeds vary similar to step speeds. Again not AS pronounced as in the past, but someone like X is going to 8 way run faster than Asta, for sure. Voldo also seems to have a very fast 8 way run now, not sure if this was always the case, but going over this with a friend who plays him, he was able to 8wr some moves in both directions, that Cervy could only 8wr in one direction.

So the difference is there, but there's a lot less situations where only certain characters can step a given move.

I'm not sure if this still works on 4, but on 2 you could have the two characters run at each other and directly compare their running speeds. It could be an interesting study if someone has the time to test it.

Well obvious examples of different 8wayrun speeds are Algol and Yoda. Algol doesn't actually "run", he just floats-- which makes it hard to anticipate his running low kick as it looks like he's just slowly approaching you. Yoda's small legs make his 8wayrun pretty useless, which means his only reliable form of movement is through attacks/force cancels.

Back