Ivy Tech Traps - the complete guide

Thanks, I will test that later.
First off, thanks for posting such an exhaustive guide to this part of Ivy's game. It's a great piece of work and it's great for 8WR that some members still post information of this quality.​

About the above point, you have said that 214K grounded offers no advantage. A friend of mine who is learning Ivy pointed this out to me as one of Ivy's weaknesses. I was adamant that this was not true, but he said that Ring had posted it. Now possibly no-one in the world knows more about Ivy than you, but I wanted to test this to be sure. I found that Ivy is on about +5 if you try to attack on wakeup, making interrupting her extremely risky. If it is +5 then Amy could interrupt SW 3B with her 6B but most characters would have to go for more generic defensive techniques such as step or GI if they want to avoid blocking or eating 3B.

Have I made a mistake or am I missing something?
No, you are probably right. It was a mistake on my part. With advantage I wasn't only referring to frames, but advantage in general like in CL 236BB case - the opponent cannot roll, GI, interrupt - must block, get hit or JU but every option still gives Ivy the initiative. After 214K on grounded every next move she does can be step-G, even 2A, 22K or i13 SW 1K. Moves that cannot be stepped such as SW 6A can be still blocked. It is especially useful for characters that have moves with evasive properties that can be used when getting up from the ground such as Ivy CL 214B, Xians 225B, Amy 4A etc I will correct that later, though. I had no intention of confusing anyone. Thanks for bringing this up.

I think this also has something to do with the way she slams her opponent to the ground, CL 236BB and 6B8 put the opponent face down, while the stomp doesn't (unless the opponent was launched from behind, then he cannot step or interrupt I think)

Her 214K and 6b8 wakeups are totally character dependent. Some can roll SW 3B and some can't. Same goes for another SW 214K. You can avoid both SW 3B and SW 214K by rolling backwards. She will be then forced to use longer range moves like 9B or CL 216BB but they are very unsafe.

SW 22_88K. 22_88B. Normal, back, forward
Close up SW 3[B+K]. 66A. All but right
CL/WP 9K. WP 3A. Forward, left
WP A+B. 3A. All but right
WP 66B. 66B. All but right
WP 66B. 3A. All but left
CL WR: B. WP 3A. All but left
CL WR: B. 66B, A. All but left
CL A+B, A+K. WP 4A+B, B. Forward
SW 3B+K. 11_44_77K. All but right
CL WR: B. A+B. Forward
CL WR: B. CL/SW/WP 9gB. Forward, normal, backward
WP 1B. Dash forward. CL 236B, B. All but left

Ring, I am not sure but is this a tech trap?: CL 22_88B (Press B+K while doing it) (While Rising) B , 8B+K. Not sure if it is a tech trap if they block or don't block the first bit.

Tech trap occurs when you knock down the opponent and he is trying to get up. But this works mostly with moves that offer guaranteed followups on hit ,if you look at the list you will see that most, if not all, of the moves are also combo starters. CL 22_88B offers no techtraps unfortunately, just like you get nothing guaranteed on hit.

I don't know if you know this Ring, but I THINK, that SW 22_88K, 214K isn't guarenteed on Xianghua? She is the only(I Think) character that can interupt it. She can interupt the 214K with an OTG A+B. I think the timing is a little strict. Can't exactly remember because my friend told me 2 months ago and I only recently remembered.

Yeah, I think we have seen this before numerous times but it's not interruption - in SC4, 214K is always guaranteed on X but she can punish 214K on hit - still, it's not 100% consistent, her legs must be directly in between your feet (not sure if this makes any sense, lol) to punish the stomp.

This was a nightmare in SC3 where Xian's A+B was actually interrupting guaranteed combos, making them do 50% less damage or so.

Back