Leixia Q&A/General Strategy Thread

So it turns out it takes 8 frames longer to begin a step after being forced into crouch by an opponent's attack, which means Leixia can do stuff like:
1A or 44A to kill step after 44K gets blocked
WR A to kill step after 1B gets blocked
66BB to kill backdash after 6B+K or the kick from 3B+KK gets blocked, or 4A to kill sidesteps

It's arguable that blocking her stuff and dashing out of range is one of her bigger weaknesses, but you can expoit people's habits with tricks like these, and a CH 1A or 66BB can be gamechanging.

The 1B>WS A option sounds really good. But most people will probably just attack after blocking 3B+KK or 6B+K. And well, 44K leaves her too close to get away from. (and it's 0 frames of recovery). But 1B is pretty much a poke, and the hesitation it causes from looking like A+B is more likely to cause them to play defensive.

It does explain why Astaroth's 4B into stuff feels impossible to step though

I'm a fan of the 6B+K/3B+KK into stuff. Since it's -6 a lot of people will try to mash out of it only to lose to 44B/4A+B/AA/backdash/whatever, and once they realize that isn't always going to work out for them, you have 66BB to kill backdash for ~100 damage and 4A to either kill sidestep for more mixups or be at -2 if they do nothing and block it.

There are a lot more implications from this for other characters too. Pat 44B is positively disgusting when you realize he can 66B/66A to kill movement after it gets blocked, as if his oki wasn't good enough. I'm gonna make a thread eventually with examples of setups for a bunch of different characters using FrC to limit movement and force mixups/reverse mixups.

So what about this guy who said he would win NEC with Leixia und that Viola sucks ass? How did he finish?

lol, although I know where you were going with this, I'mma be honest man. I really don't think she can win this match vs a knowledgeable Viola. But I know that I'm a bit biased right now since I can't figure out how to win without real damage.

That and I need to talk to you about Hilde because that matchup feels worse than Mitsu at the moment.

I really don't think she can win this match vs a knowledgeable Viola.

Guess what? I think the same. :) I wonder what advice we will get soon about this matchup from the "mysterious" player I was referring to.

And I'm not sure, if I can help you with Hilde to be honest. I know what to punish (in theory) and stuff, but my practical experience against her is very limited.

lol, although I know where you were going with this, I'mma be honest man. I really don't think she can win this match vs a knowledgeable Viola. But I know that I'm a bit biased right now since I can't figure out how to win without real damage.

That and I need to talk to you about Hilde because that matchup feels worse than Mitsu at the moment.
I agree that Hilde is one of the hardest matchups for Leixia and maybe the hardest. Viola and Mitsu seem not so bad to me these days but I have not played their strongest players.

And I'm not sure, if I can help you with Hilde to be honest. I know what to punish (in theory) and stuff, but my practical experience against her is very limited.

Well I guess I was basing it off your matches with Rome. We really don't have any dedicated Hilde mains around here but I played Hawkeye's Hilde this past weekend and it just seemed hard to get any kind of momentum going.

I agree that Hilde is one of the hardest matchups for Leixia and maybe the hardest. Viola and Mitsu seem not so bad to me these days but I have not played their strongest players.

Viola on paper shouldn't be too bad vs Leixia, but it's just she has to land everything right. Some characters like Omega and even Xiba can get away with more since one good whiff punish gives them major damage. Unless there's a tactic I'm missing (besides crybaby vs orb stuff), it feels hopeless if you can't 100% download your opponent.

Viola on paper shouldn't be too bad vs Leixia, but it's just she has to land everything right. Some characters like Omega and even Xiba can get away with more since one good whiff punish gives them major damage. Unless there's a tactic I'm missing (besides crybaby vs orb stuff), it feels hopeless if you can't 100% download your opponent.
Well it's important to avoid the bnb stuff like 6ab, 44a and 3b. Like against Algol it can be stressful fighting a character who will kill you for one mistake or one good read. I'm not going to claim it's in Leixia's favour of courseKappa. But the thing I like about the Viola matchup is that you can space her a bit, and it's so rare for Leixia to be able to space a character well. Your pokes have better range so long as you can keep away from the orb spam. I just try to focus a lot on stage position to try to avoid being vulnerable to 1-hit ring outs.

Yeah you're right in that it's rare for Leixia's spacing game to really shine. Only downside, is the risk of whiffing is really high vs Viola rather than say Maxi. If you're lucky to be playing on a stage with difficult RO positions it's easier of course.

The other issue for me is meter use. Some times I want to have meter to GI, but this also means not having meter for high damage. I guess I can just lab this match harder (since I know that I'll be seeing at least 3 Violas in most US tourneys), but I just need to find a way to deal with the whole "gotta play perfect" thing in matches.

Yeah you're right in that it's rare for Leixia's spacing game to really shine. Only downside, is the risk of whiffing is really high vs Viola rather than say Maxi. If you're lucky to be playing on a stage with difficult RO positions it's easier of course.

The other issue for me is meter use. Some times I want to have meter to GI, but this also means not having meter for high damage. I guess I can just lab this match harder (since I know that I'll be seeing at least 3 Violas in most US tourneys), but I just need to find a way to deal with the whole "gotta play perfect" thing in matches.
Without having played those Violas I can't really comment. I feel like there are things players could've done better against Viola but that's easy to say while I'm watching recorded matches, it's a different situation in the pressure of a tournament. I think LP was the only player (when playing against Viola) I saw who didn't freeze up in the face of her bnb mixups, and he was also taking care to read his opponents' reactions to his own mixups, so he seems to understand the situations a bit better than others. Having said that, I didn't feel like Reptile did much wrong against her but still lost so maybe it's just a case of her being a bit too strong. Certainly I have watched the same combo over and over again just from watching a few random videos with the damage and ring out range, and it did remind me a bit of 2009 Hilde at EVO. I still don't think she should be banned, but it wasn't great to watch her one-hit kill people repeatedly with the crowd booing in the background. Probably the only disappointment in what was otherwise a really good tournament to watch. We'll see how people deal with her in upcoming tournaments.

I still don't think she should be banned, but it wasn't great to watch her one-hit kill people repeatedly with the crowd booing in the background. We'll see how people deal with her in upcoming tournaments.
Well there was Partisan, and then JJJ too in pools who I thought looked comfortable, but I dunno, it's hard for me to ignore the mental advantage that heavy reward can give you. When you feel you have a chance to turn things around at any point, it really helps put things into perspective. Not saying those two players didn't earn their wins, of course.

As dumb as she is, I think for most of us here in the States, it's just known that even if some people would want her banned, it's far too late in the game to be doing this now. And since I have no desire to play Viola myself, I guess I just have to find a way to read minds better or get used to losing to her.

So what are the uses for 66K? I know it's practical and I know you can just keep chaining them together on hit until block which you grab them.

On another note I have problems using 44K. It get's side stepped and punished... unless they're are recovering from CE.

So what are the uses for 66K? I know it's practical and I know you can just keep chaining them together on hit until block which you grab them.

On another note I have problems using 44K. It get's side stepped and punished... unless they're are recovering from CE.

66K? It's fast, mid, tracks one side, hits grounded, (most of the time), frame traps, safe vs most chars.
44K is for wakeup mostly. (Hence the recovering from CE thing). Otherwise you have to just guess your opponents next action. Usually after enough AAs and 1As people won't just step every time.

It's kind of useful after launchers, e.g. 3B 3B+KK G.
Your opponent will probably get up immediately to block the 2nd K of 3B+KK. If you cancel it, and your opponent is right in front of you, you can try to keep the pressure going, e.g. 2A, throws, 2K, 9B to jump over your opponent's 2A attempts, CH WR A or even FC3B if they are slow.

So I was screwin around with her aB tech traps and in some instances if you step forward/left/right you will get both a ground stun and a normal hit with 2B+K. Example 44aB~6~2B+K. I'll see if I can't get a video of it up and rolling later today. Also, while I'm on the subject, for whatever reason, 2B+K will be an unblock able at some ranges, especially (or only) against nightmare. I've been trying to see what the ideal range is for this to work but haven't figured it out yet.

2B+K is unblockable sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it but I've seen it happen four times in half as many matches. I haven't pinned down the exact cause but it seems to happen most often when the opponent is slightly off axis to Leixia's left. Seems to hint at it being an axis issue where the GC knocks the opponent out of guard just before the quake impacts, rather than both occurring simultaneously.

Whatever the cause, it's gay as fuck because it's usually a free round for Leixia when it happens. I just GI 2B+K now.

Back