Looking to ged gud- any good resources out there?

RedwoodLynx

[01] Neophyte
Hi all!

So I'm a long time fan of the SC series- been playing since II- and am very excited for VI. Several friends and I have recently gotten back into 2 and 3, and while I generally hold my own, I'd like to be better than just meh. Despite having played a good bit of every SC title since 2, I never really progressed very far beyond mediocre. If you were to rank my skill on a 1-10 skill level, with 1 being "what do you mean, guard?" And 10 being pro level, I'd be about a 4. I can consistently beat mediocre button mashers (2) and usually can beat skilled button mashers (3) but a solid fighting gamer (5) can consistently beat me, even if soul calibur isnt their game. I generally play more FPS and driving games- SC is really the only fighter I've really fallen in love with. I've taken the time to memorize the movesets of several characters and generally know what I'm doing, but at this point I've kind of plateaued.

Can anyone point me to any good guides or resources that could help me improve? I'd really like to hone my skill prior to SC6's release and be able to come out swinging when thats out.

People will be quick to bombard you with frame data and all sorts of things to memorize, but all that really matters at the point where you are right now is a solid grasp of the meta. DrakeAldan's playlist on the basics of SC is by far the best resource for this. It covers important concepts like punishment, when to attack, and checking you range. It's phenomenal.

Full playlist link:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb2EmHJAl80&index=2&list=PLEckTsRyLvYaBoCORWo2rIXUFP8hnJHyB

This is my favorite, it is too long and unorganized but it is a giant knowledge dump so it is worth wading through. Aris covers a lot of SC2 specific things but in general his SC2 tutorials dive into how Soul Calibur works at a fundamental level. You also get to see more of an OG perspective of the series.

Back