Lost Swords

It's not hard to play defensively in SCV either... just press the block button like you do in any other fighting game. This game is more strategic than any of the other games because it takes more than button mashing and mashing GI to win. You have to make correct reads and know your opponent to win. It's as simple as that.

It's not hard to play defensively in SCV either... just press the block button like you do in any other fighting game. This game is more strategic than any of the other games because it takes more than button mashing and mashing GI to win. You have to make correct reads and know your opponent to win. It's as simple as that.

You mean that block that eventually breaks if you do it too much?

In past games, you actually had to time the GI with reads and button mashing was pretty much the best way to lose. In SCV, it doesn't matter if you button mash or turtle up, because of how mechanically, defense is at a heavy disadvantage against offense.

You mean that block that eventually breaks if you do it too much?

In past games, you actually had to time the GI with reads and button mashing was pretty much the best way to lose. In SCV, it doesn't matter if you button mash or turtle up, because of how mechanically, defense is at a heavy disadvantage against offense.
Youre alone on that one, just don't fall for day 1 guard breaks, learn to JG, idk what else to tell you. If you refuse to enjoy a game because you refuse to adapt to play differently, thats on you.

I literally have never heard anyone complain about being defensive in SCV

Youre alone on that one, just don't fall for day 1 guard breaks, learn to JG, idk what else to tell you. If you refuse to enjoy a game because you refuse to adapt to play differently, thats on you.

I literally have never heard anyone complain about being defensive in SCV
You're missing the point, entirely.

Like you never even read my post.

There is no room for adaptation and that's the problem. Previous games did not have this problem and if there was something different, there was room to adapt and thrive. Oh wait! You're the only person who thought that past SC's were awful, so no wonder it seems like I trying to reason with a brick wall.

There is no room for adaptation and that's the problem. Previous games did not have this problem and if there was something different, there was room to adapt and thrive. Oh wait! You're the only person who thought that past SC's were awful, so no wonder it seems like I trying to reason with a brick wall.
I read your post, and it simply goes against common sense, being defensive isnt a problem in the game.

And im the only person who thinks the previous SCs arent great. Lol

Lol.

I never played SCIII so I can't give an opinion on that, but it looks just like SCII, which is not a good thing at all.
You could throw cancel in lll. Meaning that while the opponent is doing the reaction motion for the throw you landed, you can turn around and do a combo on them.

EDIT: I only liked SCIV and that is because Ivy was amazing and Bullrush didn't have an absurd hitbox. Also, stances. There were stances.

I've already said this before and it's clear that a lot of people on this site strongly disagree with me.

But to make a long story short, the gameplay was just fine in SC through SCIV. It was simple enough for anyone to pick up and play and yet had a lot of room for improvement in skill. Guard Impact added a level of tactical unpredictability to duels. Grabs and timed guards could put combatants on edge and pick their offensive plans more carefully. This added a level of mind games to matches to where you had to counter-counter opponents or outright bluff them to get an opening. Add in a consistent varied roster with a lot of mixtures of close, mid and long range combatants and this meant that no two battles between skilled players ever played out the same.

SCV threw all of that out the window.

I'm kind of bored to death of repeating myself, but after 2 years, my opinion on the gameplay still sticks. I'd be okay with the increased tempo and aggressive emphasis of the gameplay if the defensive aspect hadn't been butchered. Just Guard is difficult to pull off and ultimately worthless, the Guard Impact has been neutered and needlessly limited to this new meter, and couple that with the halved move lists and how basically impossible it is to try to pull off a Brave Edge or Critical Edge without being vulnerable to a cheap combo...it's not any fun to play.

I can't even tell you how many times I've been knocked down and despite all of my efforts to block or get up quickly, I just watch my hp bar get chipped off piece by piece by cheap shot after cheap shot. And it's not like I sucked at SCV or that I didn't try...it's just that the gameplay's fundamental principles are designed to infuriate my particular kind of gamer: Strategic gamers.

I guess I have a bit of hardcore within me too because I like winning and I like challenges. But I also like to win based on skill, strategy and tactics. A win is a win, true. But I feel more satisfied when I earn victory through strategy and skill rather than through cheap combos or a lucky ring-out.

For instance, I'm using Seong Mina in SCIV and I'm facing Taki, I'll play defensively by GI'ing, Side-stepping and other tactics to minimize Taki's superior speed and close-quarter advantage. Then I'll take advantage of openings as well as her lack of ranged attacks to win round 1. When round 2 opens up, I'll get more aggressive with close together mid and close range attacks while GI'ing any attempt to build counter-momentum. If I lose round 2, then I'll learn from that and stay more in the mid-range of attacks. As much as I try to avoid ring-outs because I don't count them as much of a victory as compared to a KO, I'll keep the door open and throw off Taki since she'll be wary of that possibility when I try to inch her towards the edge of the ring and that may cause her to do something stupid, which I'll take advantage of and use that opening to gain a well-earned victory. If I lose round 3? Oh well! Live, learn and try a better strategy next time.

In SCV, let's say that I'm using Leixia against Natsu and I win round 1 through offensive maneuvering then awesome! Let's change things up and try to be a bit more defensive so that I'm less predictable in round 2. But wait! Natsu completely owns me because defense is completely worthless in SCV. Then we go into round 3, despite my best attempts, Natsu manages to curbstomp me with a combined Brave Edge and Critical Edge blitzkrieg that I had no chance of countering because again, defense is worthless in SCV.

It's so heavily geared towards aggressive gameplay and it's defensive aspects have become harder to implement to where I can no longer thrive as I did in previous games. This game is projecting the soul of another series and it just plainly doesn't belong here. Hell! Even other aggressive fighting games like DOA5, Injustice and MK9 aren't so needlessly complicated and they're better fighting games for it. And believe me, I tried to adapt, but it was the equivalent of pushing a 5 ton wall up a steep hill and I just didn't see how it was worth it.

Couple this needless change to gameplay with bare-bones offline content, a terrible story mode and a lazily cobbled together story and I just have no reason to keep playing that false-soul calibur game. I won't act like previous Soul Calibur games were perfect either (Occasional abuse of Soul Charge in SC and SCII, VC in SCIII, and a tad-bit slow pace to SCIV's movement), but they were way more fun and identifiable as part of the Soul Series despite each game's unique features and offerings.

SCV is a soul series game that desperately wants to be Tekken or Street Fighter and it clearly shows.

To Lost Sword's credit, at least the Guard Impact isn't attached to a meter and seems to have returned to it's classic form. Which means that even if the aggressive tone remains in future SC games, at least the defensive aspects won't be worthless or weakened which should bring back more interesting and skill-involved gameplay and duels.

But since I just voiced an unpopular opinion (at least on this site), I can already see an elitist preparing to "put me in my place", so just get it out of your system and then we can get back on topic.
Lol I'm sorry, but wat. I don't mean to 'put you in your place' but basically everything you said is wrong.

The whole list of things you mentioned in SCIV are still in SCV.

JG is very easy once you get the hang of it. Plus the reward is soo high. Plus, it's defensive. It's a way to defend against a string or BE and capitalize. Jjust because you can't doesn't mean it's useless. GI, while requiring meter, is faaaaaaaar from useless too. I use it all the time. And while the movelist may have been halved, most moves were useless.

If you get knocked down, just press G and you'll stand up and guard. The ground game wasn't even changed from SCIV.

RO's are disgraceful/cheap/aren't a true victory? Lol I use Viola and I will ring you out as much as I can. Ring outs are very strategic. If the opponent has positioned themself (or you have positioned them) to be rung out, then that's their problem.

Here's an example. Take Xiba. With Xiba, you can play keep out and punish the opponents mistakes with 3BKK. Stay at it's max range. Let's say Leixia steps forward and 3B's. Step back and 3BKK whiff punish. That's defensive. You have to have good spacing though.

I mean, I don't really know what else to say. JG is the defensive option they've implemented and to be honest, it's extremely good. Frame advantage and punishes? Yes please. Sorry if I sound condescending but, the game has defensive options. It's also the most balanced and competitive Calibur yet.

Thread going crazy. Better post stuff.

this_thread_is_gay_gif.gif

I'd argue that JG could be alittle more fine tuned since some chars benefit from it more than others. But quite frankly, that's off topic from this thread.

Anyway, I have to wonder at the person who did their 'research' and come up with the conclusion that the majority of players who play SC hates losing and would rather not fight and 'insert other nonsense here that gave birth to the hideous thing called Lost Swords'. That PERSON needs to eat a cactus and come under fire and question from the community. Because obviously they did a poor job of looking into what the fans wanted and I doubted they even tried to understand what the fans wanted.

That, or they really did want to throw out Lost Swords with no effort and use it as a cash cow and just decided to throw in a BS reason that 'Oh ya, we uh... heard that no one likes losing and that y'all like to bring Sophitia back (we already got her model) and love to dress up right?" And if so, then that is selfish and STUPID because they've only carved the rift between the fanbase even deeper so that we won't be angry at them for this and instead yell at each other for the casual vs competitive argument.

We should voice our complaints and take a more productive stance in this series that we have come to love. Because SC2 HD online failed in the online department and other janky stuff and Lost Swords just fails period. We could all whine and complain and bicker at each other but it'd be better to channel that energy into making our voices heard. A petition like ninja said, would be something to consider or just trying harder to communicate with PS/Namco. @Ninjaguy446 :3

Remember, our voices was heard for the continuation after SCIV! So cross our fingers the next thing that comes out is good. IF NOT THEN WE WILL SIMPLY NOT SIT HERE AND LET THE SERIES DIE A HORRIBLE DEATH FROM SOMETHING DISGUSTING ON THE LEVEL OF LOST SWORDS IN THE FUTURE.

*This isn't a 'SCV IS AMAZING VS SCV SUCKS ROTTEN EGGS' thread. All this arguing is just beating a dead horse with a pink bat.

Everyone is biased and opinions are subjective. Point is, there's always changes as the series progress. Gameplay wise, we'll follow how PS does it and voice agreement or complaints on issues and they'll be the one taking it into consideration. (Psst, nerf Viola <3 and take off invincibility frames for CE plz). ---> My biased opinion.

*PS was affected by the tsunami incident as well as rushed by Bamco because they wanted to put the time and effort into caring for their Tekken baby. SCV is a great game that could have truly been better. (FUDGE 3 MIMICS).

*All of you just calm down and stare at my derpy cactus avatar. Bai. *huggles*

I quoted this one because its the smallest piece of bullshit i have read on this page.

LONG STORY SHORT= SCV REQUIRES you to be proactive in your defense, everything you do has a price and very real risk reward. Holy fuck watch SCR top 3 and see how those players (eyuk eyuk eyuk) change their game plans and choices as the matches go on. Defense with attacks is a necessary skill to have to thrive in SCV. You obviously do not have the right head for this game because of the system changes, while some can be argued as too much as a whole, the changes reeeeeallllyyyyyy progressed the game. I do not even know what to say because this argument has happened 31432e4234234235235234u5t43985 fucking times already.

Your SCIV example is flawed because half the damn roster were shit and should never win under normal circumstances if the opponent was remotely keen on the MU. SCV's system has things like JG and meter to make near every character viable to use (insert zwei arguments here) SCV has bullshit but its pretty damn balanced, ESPECIALLY compared to fucking four.

Ugh, learn to play the damn game and stop posting your terrible opinions, inb4 you get indignant and criticize the community for being all mean and how you have well thought-out "points" and wonder why all you get are one sentence/picture responses.

To fill my part of the status quo, heres a silly gif which describes things.

1393452823391.gif

I quoted this one because its the smallest piece of bullshit i have read on this page.

LONG STORY SHORT= SCV REQUIRES you to be proactive in your defense, everything you do has a price and very real risk reward. Holy fuck watch SCR top 3 and see how those players (eyuk eyuk eyuk) change their game plans and choices as the matches go on. Defense with attacks is a necessary skill to have to thrive in SCV. You obviously do not have the right head for this game because of the system changes, while some can be argued as too much as a whole, the changes reeeeeallllyyyyyy progressed the game. I do not even know what to say because this argument has happened 31432e4234234235235234u5t43985 fucking times already.

Your SCIV example is flawed because half the damn roster were shit and should never win under normal circumstances if the opponent was remotely keen on the MU. SCV's system has things like JG and meter to make near every character viable to use (insert zwei arguments here) SCV has bullshit but its pretty damn balanced, ESPECIALLY compared to fucking four.

Ugh, learn to play the damn game and stop posting your terrible opinions, inb4 you get indignant and criticize the community for being all mean and how you have well thought-out "points" and wonder why all you get are one sentence/picture responses.

To fill my part of the status quo, heres a silly gif which describes things.

View attachment 38289

But I like posting my "terrible" opinions...and at least I'm not the little boy whose calling names and cussing out people for not agreeing with me. I already know that most of the community disagrees with me with valid opinions and you know what? Fine. I was just answering a question and I answered it based on my experience with SCV and past games and made myself clear. Got a problem with that? Too bad.

But no, apparently honestly answering a question is a crime on this forum.

You know what though, you keep enjoying bare-bones SCV and I'll just keep exercising my right to free speech. For goodness sake, it's like my dissent is hurting you somehow.

Let's take a look at some of these "unpopular" opinions:

But to make a long story short, the gameplay was just fine in SC through SCIV.

The previous games had their share of problems, SC3 had great casual modes but plenty of glitches, and SC4 was just a hot mess.

It was simple enough for anyone to pick up and play and yet had a lot of room for improvement in skill.

SCV threw all of that out the window.

SCV is the simplest Soulcalibur game in the series because there isn't walls of bullshit that you need to go through to figure out how to play the actual game unlike the previous games.

I'm kind of bored to death of repeating myself, but after 2 years, my opinion on the gameplay still sticks.

You could have spent those two years actually learning how to play the game.

Just Guard is difficult to pull off and ultimately worthless

Just because you're unable to use just guard doesn't make it worthless.

the Guard Impact has been neutered and needlessly limited to this new meter

Guard Impact uses meter because it's a very strong reversal and alot more useful.

and couple that with the halved move lists and how basically impossible it is to try to pull off a Brave Edge or Critical Edge without being vulnerable to a cheap combo...it's not any fun to play.

So play something else instead of spending 2 years bitching about SCV.

I can't even tell you how many times I've been knocked down and despite all of my efforts to block or get up quickly, I just watch my hp bar get chipped off piece by piece by cheap shot after cheap shot.

This is because you don't know how to play the game.

And it's not like I sucked at SCV or that I didn't try...it's just that the gameplay's fundamental principles are designed to infuriate my particular kind of gamer: Strategic gamers.

If you didn't suck at SCV, you'd be able to get off the ground instead of just blaming the game or calling the attacks you are getting hit with cheap.

I guess I have a bit of hardcore within me too because I like winning and I like challenges. But I also like to win based on skill, strategy and tactics. A win is a win, true. But I feel more satisfied when I earn victory through strategy and skill rather than through cheap combos or a lucky ring-out.

This is scrub talk.

For instance, I'm using Seong Mina in SCIV

This is where you should stop posting, but you keep going.

defense is worthless in SCV.

You don't even know how to defend properly. Plus the game gives you multiple defensive mechanics to use.

It's so heavily geared towards aggressive gameplay and it's defensive aspects have become harder to implement to where I can no longer thrive as I did in previous games. This game is projecting the soul of another series and it just plainly doesn't belong here. Hell! Even other aggressive fighting games like DOA5, Injustice and MK9 aren't so needlessly complicated and they're better fighting games for it. And believe me, I tried to adapt, but it was the equivalent of pushing a 5 ton wall up a steep hill and I just didn't see how it was worth it.

This is just nonsense. You need to learn how to play the game instead of making excuses.

Couple this needless change to gameplay with bare-bones offline content, a terrible story mode and a lazily cobbled together story and I just have no reason to keep playing that false-soul calibur game. I won't act like previous Soul Calibur games were perfect either (Occasional abuse of Soul Charge in SC and SCII, VC in SCIII, and a tad-bit slow pace to SCIV's movement), but they were way more fun and identifiable as part of the Soul Series despite each game's unique features and offerings.

I had fun playing the previous games, but they were bad. And calling the changes to gameplay needless is wrong because there's more people playing SCV now than there were with the previous games. We're going two years in with SCV and there's still tournaments. SC4 was pretty much dead at the same point in its lifespan.

But people don't like change, and I don't see alot of people seriously going back to the old SC games if they hate SCV so much.

SCV is a soul series game that desperately wants to be Tekken or Street Fighter and it clearly shows.

If it results in more people playing the game, then I'm fine with it.

To Lost Sword's credit, at least the Guard Impact isn't attached to a meter and seems to have returned to it's classic form. Which means that even if the aggressive tone remains in future SC games, at least the defensive aspects won't be worthless or weakened which should bring back more interesting and skill-involved gameplay and duels.

Guard Impact is like it was in SCV but with a different input. It'd be less useful if it fully returned to classic form, but you can't talk about skill-involved gameplay when you can't get off the ground correctly which is a basic skill.

But since I just voiced an unpopular opinion (at least on this site), I can already see an elitist preparing to "put me in my place", so just get it out of your system and then we can get back on topic.

And what topic is that? Endless bitching? You should put that time to better use, such as learning how to play Soulcalibur.

Let's be real. Do you really believe that someone from Namco is going to read through 61 pages of bitching to get feedback of a game that's already done? I'd jump in front of a moving bullet train before I go through this mess.

It's not about giving feedback. It's about the same damn people who hate SCV that want to make their voices louder than everyone else's by voicing their "unpoopular" opinions by bitching about Lost Swords just because it doesn't check all of their fanboy boxes.

I like casual modes too, but I don't want another game where there's a ton of casual modes, but the core gameplay is full of glitches, or the characters feel like they are moving in molasses, or you need to disregard half of the roster because the balance sucks, or one of the characters completely breaks the game, or they spent a bunch of resources making a story mode with no replay value that some jerk will just spoil anyway by uploading it to YouTube instead of fixing problems with the actual game.

If you don't like SCV, fine. It's not the end of the world. There's other games out there. Maybe Lost Swords could be the game for you since they made the game specifically for people who suck at Soulcalibur by adding easy combos, removing ringouts, removing counter hits, changing guard impact, removing just guard, etc. But you can't bitch about gameplay that you don't understand, and you should learn how to play from someone who actually knows how to play the game. You'll enjoy the game alot more once you know how to play it, and Lost Swords is just a free to play experiment aimed at new people. To see this amount of bitching about the game over silly stuff is ridiculous.

Back