Maxi Loop Advice

sephalump

Video games kill people
I've been lurking around this forum for quite a while now, and finally thought I'd throw something up! I try to play my maxi quick and effective using another user's term(can't remember his name right now DX but he might see this) "danger balls". For the most part it works. Most player's I've gone against have problems catching moves I switch up with PSL3. My only problem is I'm not sure how to use the other PSL's. Especially 4 and 5. I'm a total noob online and on forum so please forgive. Thanks for any help ^_^!

That user is me, I coined the phrase this SC for a stance shifting heavy Maxi, thus you are always taking a risk, therefore the player has "danger balls" lol.

PSL4 and 5 are stances I personally rarely use, except for the initial sidestep from A+K(or 8_2 from a stance, while still holding A+K so I loop back.) The one that puts you in RO>BL, usually doesn't avoid anything and I mainly use it as a way into those stances or LO by holding 6 afterward. The one that puts you in LI, actually has some ability to avoid things.

A way to use them effectively is by having yourself a checklist of moves to use acoording to what stance you're in, these moves...you'll train the opponent with, get them used to certain moves. Then switch it up with PSLs and PSL cancels to throws, or sometimes goofy attacks.

Hey thanks! And yeah it is you! The one with the Shinedown sig. And normally I use quick moves that my oppoent expects me to attack right after so they block(4b, 6a etc) and then switch it up by holding 6 or 4, but normally A+K since that's enough and not many people know to expect a Star Gale to the face after 3a. I also try to train a lot, my favorite being a combo 2b+k, they learn to get up quickly and I do 4b+k mostly for the wow factor. I won't do it more than once though since the "oh shit" reaction probably won't happened a 2nd time. The only time I've come to use 4&5 is when my opponent begins to shell up and sit there, I'll do it for a bit of extra flash since they won't have time to K before LI A.

If you like you can add me on PSN. Im FunkeXMix. I've been playing for a long time maybe you can find some inspiration from our matches. As a new Maxi player i think learning these things is a good foundation for your Maxi. 1) His frame advantage situations (go to wikipedia for his frame data) 2) Frame traps, be sure to read the thread called Maxi frame traps.

PSL 4/5 are stupid and almost useless. They take way to long to execute and they are really unsafe. There are few situations where PSL 4/5 are the only thing that can save you from a certain kind of punishment, but you're better off just not putting yourself in that position to begin with. The other PSLs are definately more useful, but you still shouldn't use them too often. Too much flash gets you punished when the opponent knows how to fight maxi.

Well this is a really broad topic, so I'm going to keep it basic...

PSL4, and 5: Uses are few, and far between. I still encourage you to mess around in training, and find situations where they work for you, but you will be counter hit if you're reckless.

PSL2: Good for defense. 3B, and 44AB are good places to start using this.

PSL3: The aGI is best used in RO, when at disadvantage (Sorry, I'm not going to list moves, check the wiki).

PSL1: Stance wake-ups are a good place to go crazy with it. In other situations I advise you to stick with evasive options after using it (RC K, RO A etc).

Random: One of the ways I like use loops is as simply as a brief pause to have my opponent loosen their guard, or make a mistake. Ya know, basically just CH fishing, but people seem to be more excited/nervous when you do it in stance.

*Edit* Playing online while taking unnecessary risks is a slippery slope. You'll have to be careful not to form bad habits.

Hey thanks everyone for your advice. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't alone in the lack of using 4_5. This is all good to know of course too! As for habits from the last post, I don't really thing I form to many not trying to sound like a goon/goblin/beast/god/whatever-other-term-fits but I fight generally off instinct or things I know to work. In example, I might test the opponent to see how they react to psl2 from RO. If they expect the BL kk or B I know they at least know what they're doing, and to go against usual maxi strings(LI :(B): to BL kk in example?) but normally I just try and throw moves out there I don't see other maxi's using too much.

Back