Methods to reset Hilde's charges

RTD

SC4 International Champ
There are times when it's best for Hilde to reset her charges to accommodate particular situations.

An example of this is when you'd rather do C3 A, C2 BB, C2 AA instead of C3 A, C3 B.

In this case, when you have a C3 A and a C3 B, resetting the B charge before landing C3 A will allow you to land C3 A, C2 BB, C2 AA.

There are other cases where resetting charges would apply. Take for example if you want to ring out from a certain range and C2 B will reach but C3 B will not reach, then you'll want to reset the C3 B charge so that you can pull off C2 B.

I could go on and on about the significance of resetting charges, but without further ado, let's discuss different ways on how to accomplish this.

Regular way to release a charge:

1) This is the easiest and the most natural way to release a charge. All you have to do is hold down either the A or B button and then let it go. At that time, you'll see Hilde execute the appropriate charged move.

2) Another obvious mention is to have 2 sets of binds for A and B. While charging one set, attack with the other to reset the charge.

Seamless methods to reset a charge:

There are 3 seamless methods to reset a charge. Here they are:

1) Release the charge by letting go of either the A or B button while holding guard.

2) Release the charge by letting go of either the A or B button during the animation of an executed move. Examples of this includes releasing the charge when you are being thrown, or when you are in the middle of executing a move, or when you are on the ground, etc.

3) In order to do this method, you'll have to configure your controller to have 2 A and B buttons. Charge either A or B and reset either one by pressing the other set of A or B buttons and then press guard immediately to cancel the move. The notation is: A_B~G

4) bind A or B button and then charge A or B with one set of binds. Simply continue by just pressing either A or B with the other set of button binds whilst holding down guard.

I like to use method number 3; especially at long range. This method enables me to reset a charge without having Hilde execute the charge and it is much faster and more effecient than method number 1) pressing guard, releasing the charge, and then letting go of guard. Method 3 is more efficient than method 1 because it takes only 2(A_B~G) inputs to reset the charge instead of 3(G, release A_B, and then release G).

Method 2 is the most efficient way to reset a charge because it only requires one input. But again, it has to be done during the animation of a move.

My method (Method 4) is usually to have 2 binds, and press B whilst guarding on the second bind.
I like this method a bit better since it means if I'm actually on the ball and watching closely enough (4.32% chance - I've only got 3/100 skill points in "Attention span") against character's like Amy, I can press the B as soon as I see the 6BB come out, C3A auto GI the 2nd B and then land C3A C2BB C2AA for great justice and Step 4: Profit.

There should be 4 ways to reset a charge. Because I never do any of those oddly enough.

4. Attack with your second bind.

Sometimes I want to play pressure so I will cancel my B charge with something like 1B or 11B and for the people that dont know to sidestep, they constantly end up trying to run in, and I have a C1B waiting. Its been fairly useful on hit, on block or whiff I usually release whatever A charge I have stored.

Artilust, You are right that attacking with a second bind releases the charge, however in my opinion, that doesn't count.

Main reason for this is that attacking with your 2nd B bind ie. BB, means that now your opponent knows you don't have a B charge, and are likely going to try aGI C3A. Attacking with the A bind, ie 2A means they know you no longer have an A charge, and are likely to try some command throw shenanigans.

This is just 2 examples of how attacking is disadvantageous. There are other reasons why attacking to drop charges is disadvantageous, but I'd rather not point them out as a tourney is coming up and I know one of the top guys in Sydney is lurking here.

The reason I like the other methods is because they are covert and can quite often catch an opponent unaware. Even aG and bG. The twitch doesn't show which move you were trying to charge drop. It could be a kG psyche out for all they know.

Artulist: attacking to release a charge is a worthy mention! I put it under the 'regular way to release a charge' section since it's not a seamless way to do it.

Runis: good one! another seamless reset with binds.

I've updated my post.

My method is the hardest, but its the only one i can use since i dont play on pad and dont wanna change configuration on the stick (arcade style, no cheat).

Here it is:
-Do a K
-Release A and/or B
-Do G to cancel the K
-Press A and/or B

GL ^^

My method (Method 4) is usually to have 2 binds, and press B whilst guarding on the second bind.
I like this method a bit better since it means if I'm actually on the ball and watching closely enough (4.32% chance - I've only got 3/100 skill points in "Attention span") against character's like Amy, I can press the B as soon as I see the 6BB come out, C3A auto GI the 2nd B and then land C3A C2BB C2AA for great justice and Step 4: Profit.

Do you aGI the 2nd hit of Amy's 6BB on block or on whiff?

Block. Charge dropping at the same time however means I predicted the 6BB and on-reaction aGI'd though.

Back