Mind Games and Mix-ups: Or, Make Opponents Take Your Hits and Like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darago

[08] Mercenary
As mix-ups and mind games are a huge part of Mi-Na's strategy for not dying, I think they warrant a thread. Talk about them here.

11A/44AA - These two moves have roughly the same range and look exactly the same until they're no longer effectively reactionable. It works, darn it. Messes with people's heads almost more effectively than it should.

Mind Games and Mix-ups: Or, Make Opponents Take Your Hits and Like

1 for now:

1BB/1BA - I use 1BB to create space but sometimes it can get too predictable, so I throw in a 1BA now and then which has the same start but the second hit is an advancing horizontal.

FC B, FC 1B is some smack in the head or poke their feet action

As 66B has TC, what can be done with this? FC 1B is the obvious option, anything else I wonder? Maybe a simple FC B to catch the opponent crouch guard when they're expecting a FC 1B?

4KB is unsafe. It's punishable by Mina's 6B+K. It's a very situational move (for me at least) since it's not a NC. You really have to meet one of these conditions for it to actually be useful: it's a counter hit or if you want to auto-gi, either it has to be a JI, or that you are far enough away that K whiffs and B hits or you'll just get blocked and punished after your own auto-gi, which is crap lol.

A nice little part of my game revolves around 2B. It's a lovely move, it's safe from 236:B from Soph (not that it matters but it's nice to know), it brings you into FC from some FC shenanigans and it looks exactly like the B series. So if it's block, they probably won't try to step the second hit or you can teach them not to step because if spaced correctly (always try to use it at the tip), if they try to step, it's a nice easy 47 damage from B,B,B. Try to keep that fear fresh in their minds.

There are plenty of options after 2B. My favorite is 11B and FC 1B. Lows that are fast enough that they have to be really looking out for this mix up to block them. 11B is to further reinforce don't step and FC 1B is if you're looking for some space, it'll push them out far enough on block/hit that it acts like another B4B except you move the opponent. Be careful though, at the very extreme tip range of 2B, it will inch them out far enough that FC 1B won't push them out far enough for you to be safe, you will get punished. FC 1K will usually whiff at 2B's tip range so I usually don't do it. If you do land it though you'll get a nice 3B after FC1KK at tip range.

So, if they're looking for mix-up now and they start ducking, give em a WS B, it'll give you a nice A+B after it. Though, WS B has the same problem as FC 1B, it'll whiff at the extreme range of 2B. Now, you can also give em a 66B, if they start to jump, it'll slam them down giving you a FC 1B after it. Then if they start to back off, instill the fear of a tipped B,B,B into them again and get them to stop.

All these options are relatively safe on block and hardly ever punished if they guess right so that's a real plus. Now, the only problem I have with 2B is that if they know it's coming they will step it. What better way to stop this mix up then to step the setup lol. Anyways, I just try to keep them from stepping with 8A+B, 11B, A+B, and 2A+B(great for more FC shenanigans with the cancel!) and at times 1A if I know they like to go high.

2B is great. Anyway I think you've neglected to mention the mixups that can come off 4KB thanks to the delay. It's not nearly as strong as it used to be, but with 4K (delay) B you can setup things like 4K throw. Plus this way it's hit confirmable.

2B is great. Anyway I think you've neglected to mention the mixups that can come off 4KB thanks to the delay. It's not nearly as strong as it used to be, but with 4K (delay) B you can setup things like 4K throw. Plus this way it's hit confirmable.

I completely forgot about that delay and now that you brought that up, I can see that it does have some uses. I guess I'm a little sore that I don't get a 4KB combo after I GI'd something with it and get punished instead but auto-gi with just 4K and mixing it up from there seems viable. Guess I'll just have to suck it up everytime I score a JI and miss 4KB combo for a safer mix up.

I know what you mean. In SC3 I spammed it all day because of KD and being NC. It's still a decent move but it's not godlike anymore. Lol.

Currently, I'm trying to figure how to bait some CH's with her or at least scare them with the threat of a CH so I can have my way with them. So far I know only one move that gives her frame advantages on block that is 44B and is that the only one? It's quite slow for my liking, linear and telegraph so it'll easily be side stepped or GI'd. On hit, I know 2A gives her significant advantage only at tip, 1A slight advantage up close and 3A slight advantage at tip. On CH, I haven't tested that out enough to have a say but a good portion of her movelist is NcC or gets them to the floor/crumples so I don't think there's much more there. So far the only thing that would make them really scared is 2A. Being a spacing character, I know she doesn't heavily rely on frame traps, but it'd be nice if she use one to further her mind games.

Mind Games and Mix-ups: Or, Make Opponents Take Your Hit

2A+K has the same low kick visually as 22K, but has an extra medium ranged horizontal smack that comes out straight after the initial kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back