Mitsurugi General Discussion / Trips & Tricks

It seems pretty reliable to me, but I don't know for sure. All 3 seem to win clean in i19 situations as well.
It's possible there are multiple active frames and the moves are hitting on different frames in different situations.
Can you share some examples of cases where 3b doesn't hit?

*edit* actually there are some strange situations. sophie 3b often doesn't behave as expected.
After testing it again against the wall i found out that you are right. Most moves punishable with 6A+B leave opponent farther away and 3B seem to be i19 at that ranges. Good example of that are Mitsurugi very own 6A+B on block. There are LOTS of moves that I could punish with 6A+B and not 3B during testing

So, I’ve come to the conclusion that rugi in sc6 is absolutely useless. Can anyone tell me how to win with him. He is extremely slow in this game and has frame disadvantage against every character

I struggled a bit the first few days but aside from lacking the universally punishable things, Mitsu is fine. He's not the catch all maybe he once was, but hes got a lot of real fun tools and can get consistent wins when you get in your opponents head.

Not to rant but feels like everyone in the past few years wants every character to be competitive at every skill level and easy to play. What ever happened to putting the work in? /rant

I love playing Mitsurugi.

Was getting crushed by Astaroth though. Tough to block and tough to get past that giant long range axe. But after a few tries finally got through enough to win three in a match. :)

I never played the most recent previous versions so I don't know the differences in Mitsurugi's game. . The old Soulcalibur I use to play on the original Xbox I played the guy with the scimitar. I don't remember what his name is. I was disappointed they don't have him in the this new version. Maybe they will bring him back at some point? I'm loving Mtsurugi anyways if they don't. Maybe try Groh sometime too.

Last edited:
Wow that sucks! Outside of 1 or 2 combos it's pretty much worthless lol.

I can only get JF once the first A animation is completely finished. Any way to get it out earlier?

No that's how it works. There's 2 frames at the end of the window to input a and get the JF, 1 frame slower and you get RLC a again. 1 frame faster and you get RLC aa non-JF.

When I perform 99B hold to Relic, if I perform quick draw, he'll jump. I thought I was just going overboard on 8WR but in training I stayed neutral and still hopped with the press of the A. It doesn't happen off of 66B, just for 99B, 33B. If anyone knows what the deal is with this I'd love to know fif this was by design or just a bug we'll have to avoid

When I perform 99B hold to Relic, if I perform quick draw, he'll jump. I thought I was just going overboard on 8WR but in training I stayed neutral and still hopped with the press of the A. It doesn't happen off of 66B, just for 99B, 33B. If anyone knows what the deal is with this I'd love to know fif this was by design or just a bug we'll have to avoid
I imagine you're holding the 99 input to long. Try releasing it a bit earlier

I imagine you're holding the 99 input to long. Try releasing it a bit earlier

I went immediately neutral when I started noticing this yesterday and got the same result. Tried it again today with a slight delay and was totally fine.
Just trying to tidy up my execution at this point.

Hi, I recently picked up Mitsu and thx to the amazing content of Belial I have the combos and some traps down. My problem is, what is the general gameplan with this char? I think the neutral game and "top10" moves for most chars are obvious, but I have no idea what to do with Mitsu in general.

First punish everything that is punishable on block.
Then stop them from mashing or moving.
Then go for 50/50s.

Am I wrong assuming that playing Mitsurugi well requires you to have all the knowledge about your opponent and reading them well on top of that? Reason I'm asking this is because I'm really new to the series and I come across a lot of people that don't know shit about my character, but are still able to run an oppressive gameplan, making me guess 50/50 and keeping me at range, while I struggle to just go in and enforce my bullshit on them.

Not saying he's to weak or something, since I'm just a noob. Just asking.

Am I wrong assuming that playing Mitsurugi well requires you to have all the knowledge about your opponent and reading them well on top of that? Reason I'm asking this is because I'm really new to the series and I come across a lot of people that don't know shit about my character, but are still able to run an oppressive gameplan, making me guess 50/50 and keeping me at range, while I struggle to just go in and enforce my bullshit on them.

Not saying he's to weak or something, since I'm just a noob. Just asking.
Your goal with Mitsurugi is always maintain close range so you can force low/mid mix-ups. His stances Relic and Mist are very useful with a blocked Relic B giving you frame advantage to keep your offense going. 236K, 1A, 1b series, 1kb and 22/88k in conjunction with mids 3b, 66b, 2b, 3a, 33/99k and 66k gives you very nice mix-ups.

He has other good moves to use but these are necessity! Mix in everything else as needed.
With meter he is one of the best punishers in the game so take advantage of it!

Your goal with Mitsurugi is always maintain close range so you can force low/mid mix-ups. His stances Relic and Mist are very useful with a blocked Relic B giving you frame advantage to keep your offense going. 236K, 1A, 1b series, 1kb and 22/88k in conjunction with mids 3b, 66b, 2b, 3a, 33/99k and 66k gives you very nice mix-ups.

He has other good moves to use but these are necessity! Mix in everything else as needed.
With meter he is one of the best punishers in the game so take advantage of it!

Thanks for the tips anyways but that wasn't quite my question tbh. I'm fine execution wise and know how to mix people up. I just feel like Mitsurugi doesn't quite have the oppressive tools other characters have, or maybe I'm just bad at the game which comes together with my next question:

Can you guys react to Seong Mina's 2A+B? I know it's 30 frames startup or something but I have real trouble seeing and jumping over that. Settled with reacting to the stuff she says when using that move, but then met somebody online using a CAS with a different voice set and it was all out of the window. Are you guys able to visually tell that the move is coming and react to it?

Thanks for the tips anyways but that wasn't quite my question tbh. I'm fine execution wise and know how to mix people up. I just feel like Mitsurugi doesn't quite have the oppressive tools other characters have, or maybe I'm just bad at the game which comes together with my next question:

Can you guys react to Seong Mina's 2A+B? I know it's 30 frames startup or something but I have real trouble seeing and jumping over that. Settled with reacting to the stuff she says when using that move, but then met somebody online using a CAS with a different voice set and it was all out of the window. Are you guys able to visually tell that the move is coming and react to it?
When you say oppressive I'm guessing you referring to being able to keep constant offensive pressure on hit or block not allowing opponents to mount an offensive? If so the key to a successful offense is knowing +- frames on your moves and just as important is knowledge of your opponents as well.

Ex. 1 - You input 2a and it connects but your opponent tries to attack. 2a on hit +6 so if his attack is say i15 then the actual impact time of his move is 15+6= i21. You use 4(A) being i20 wins leaving you now +8 allowing free MST BB since it's i8.
Ex. 2 - You input 2a and it connects but instead of attacking the opponent blocks. You use 4(A) he blocks it leaving you now at -2 him even frames. If you use MST b which is i8 + the -2 frames MST b is now i10. For him to beat MST b his move must be quicker than i10 which is still very fast. There's only a couple moves that are faster than i10 so more than likely your safe to keep offensive pressure without interrupt.
Ex. 3 - Your 2a is blocked leaving you at -6. If you attack with 4(A) being i20 move plus the -6 frames your impact is now i26. If opponent attack has impact faster than i26 you lose.

As you can see Ex 1 allows you to keep oppressive offense with +frames on hit. Ex 2 allows you to keep pressure by knowing +- of your offense and general knowledge of each character +- per move set. Ex 3 demonstrate how knowing frame data allows you to make better choices applying offense and defense.

Study frame data and know how much advantage or disadvantage your at per move. A blocked RLC b is +4 so knowing thiese advantages will allow you to better pressure offensively or defend per move.
There's other things like TC etc to consider in most circumstances but frames knowledge is what's most important.

As for blocking i30 lows. Generally yes you should be able to block that move but not always. Go to practice and spend time learning the animation per move perhaps allowing you faster recognition to defend.
Sorry so long hope it helps!

Back