My Poor, Hapless CAS Characters

Der Lindwurm

Premium Member
So, I've always taken a pretty minimalistic approach when designing characters. In particular, every time I mess around with patterns I end up deciding that solid colors look better. I've also gravitated towards black since that actually makes them stand out pretty well against all the brighter colors you usually see on the canon characters and other created characters.

Dusty
Style: Siegfried
Homeland: England

Dusty left her home in the English countryside to seek fame and fortune when she was 14. She fell in with mercenary fighters and quickly became a ruthless, black-hearted killer. She actually has no idea how she survived so many years of fighting, killing, and recklessly indulging in whatever carnal pleasures were readily available. Now older and wiser, she has tried to re-invent herself as a foe of tyrants, defender of the weak, and protector of the young. She has also discovered that she is strangely cursed: any man who makes love to her will shortly afterward die a horrible, violent death. It took her a while to realize what was happening when mostly she kept the company of mercenaries who die gruesome, bloody deaths all the time anyway, but now she finds herself having to rebuff the advances of anyone she actually likes. She has traveled widely in Asia seeking a way to either free herself from the curse or find out what particularly evil act from her youth put her under the curse so she can atone for it.

dusty1_zps552f2714.jpg

dusty2_zpsb278f262.jpg

Maaike
Style: Leixia
Homeland: Dutch Republic

Maaike never knew her father, the man who seduced her mother, impregnated her, and continued on his merry way. What little she did know was enough to convince her that this was the kind of life for her as well - travel, adventure, and no responsibilities beyond simply fending for herself! She took to the seas and served under many pirate captains until she had attained sufficient renown to captain a ship herself, though this was ill-fated. For all her wit and cunning, she was still inexperienced very impulsive, and her ship was quickly sunk during a ridiculously brazen attack on an English frigate that she hoped to capture. Since then she has mostly slinked around Asia, hoping to assemble a new crew and obtain a new ship, and enjoying herself however possible in the mean time. She still has some problems with other seadogs not always taking her seriously. Dusty has tried to explain to her that it's in part because of her attitude but also just because she's way too cute to be a dread pirate captain like Cervantes.

maaike2_zpsee5b0ccf.jpg

maaike3_zpse79aa671.jpg

Mia
Style: Astaroth
Homeland: Somewhere up north...

No one really knows who Mia is or where she comes from. But, when an isolated village is in some kind of distress - an evil ruler or bandits or monsters, Mia will mysteriously appear one night and proceed to wreak utter havoc on whatever has threatened the people. After the bad guys have scattered and fled in terror, Mia will then over the next few days imbibe every drop of every kind of alcoholic beverage there is to be found and completely devour the village's supply of food. She will then move on, mostly likely in order to seek out a another village well enough stocked on food that she can fill her guts anew now that the current well has run dry. The villagers are usually left debating whether her arrival was ultimately bane or boon. Those who know of her suppose that she returns to her presumably remote homeland in the winter, as she is most often seen in other parts of the world in the summer and early autumn.

mia1_zps0d3ca646.jpg

Mia-CE-2_zpsf76ddab3.png

Fafnir
Style: Astaroth
Homeland: Thuringia, Germany

This boring guy? I won't waste much time talking about him. He's actually pretty reasonable and often puzzled by the mania, bright colors, and outright strangeness of many of the fighters he encounters from one job to the next. That being said, he learned quite a bit about fighting with an axe and using his size to his advantage in battle from a really bizarre girl from somewhere up north named Mia. During their brief encounter, Mia also showed him how to play a totally new kind of music on his guitar. He has no idea who might actually like this kind of music with lots of chords played a very fast tempos, however.

fafnir1_zpsee391d05.jpg

fafnir2_zps75919017.jpg

I remember seeing Dusty a few days ago, didn't realize she was the heavyset type though. Points for uniqueness there alone, you just don't see fat characters that aren't giant blobs intended to be comic relief(I can't think of a single one myself).

These remind me of many of my own characters I've long-since abandoned. The ideas and concepts behind them are inarguably solid, but their execution is lacking. There's nothing wrong with simplicity or using the color black, it's just you really need something more to make such characters stand out y'know? A pattern here or there for some subtle color change, maybe some retexturing via stickers...Could definitely improve these. I keep forgetting to do the same thing to my own characters. Sad hypocrisy >.>

Well, let's see you put some more work into these and you show us how they turn out later. Deal?

I remember seeing Dusty a few days ago, didn't realize she was the heavyset type though. Points for uniqueness there alone, you just don't see fat characters that aren't giant blobs intended to be comic relief(I can't think of a single one myself).
I set them to "built" and then have a negative value for almost all the parameters - after trying a lot of things I decided that looked the best (sturdier, tougher, and not as ridiculously skinny as females in the game usually are.) Though, that tends to get offset by the way a lot of the clothing kind of puffs out and makes their middles look bigger than they really are (exhibit A: Dusty's merveilleuse dress and slacks above.)

These remind me of many of my own characters I've long-since abandoned. The ideas and concepts behind them are inarguably solid, but their execution is lacking. There's nothing wrong with simplicity or using the color black, it's just you really need something more to make such characters stand out y'know? A pattern here or there for some subtle color change, maybe some retexturing via stickers...Could definitely improve these. I keep forgetting to do the same thing to my own characters. Sad hypocrisy >.>

Well, let's see you put some more work into these and you show us how they turn out later. Deal?
After getting the basic template down I like to make lots of different outfits for each character - I'll definitely be working on some more ornate getups for each of them.

In general, these designs can be forgettable. Not because they're ugly, but because there's not much charisma. Black may be the ideal badass color, but without support it's just derpy. Why do you think many black CAS customs are forgettable? They slap-on black armor and call it a day.

As Wandrian said, they gotta stand out.

All they need is equipment that compliment each other, a strong 3 color scheme, and a theme. Right now, it's just herp derp black CAS with a bit of Gothic make-up and/or dress-up.

Try to get into what character is supposed to be like. I'll use 3 examples pardon my custom posts.

Example 1. A genderbend of Zasalamel.
fujo-3-jpg.23719

In general, she wears black. However, the extra colors help break the too much black syndrome while enhancing her badass factor...

Example 2. The cutesy punk rock girl.
alice-lakefield-2-jpg.23712

It's a generic modern cute punk rock wear type, but notice the difference when you add two or more colors to a CAS? It makes it stand out a bit more. I did put stickers and patterns yet I kept them subtle. She's portrayed as the cute but sexy type. Black makes people sexy. If I put pink instead, it'd make her more cutesy.

Example 3. Flamboyant bling jerk who thinks he's hot stuff.
disco-jim-2-jpg.23700

Derpy but he stands out due to the bright colors. They don't match, but they somewhat coordinate. Notice the only black part is only the zebra pattern?

The gist of my reasoning is think of a theme, find some equipment, then color it to enhance it.

Example one was meant to be badass. Second one as fanservice. Third as a joke. At first, it's hard to take in all of this at once. However, there's no weakness in trying to experiment outside your comfort zone.

Trust me, I used love slapping on black until I learned to stay away from it at times. Now I end up utilizing colors like dull brown for a worn down peasant look or minty green to enhance a gentle and pleasant look. That's not to say you can't use black, but to stand out you have to throw in 2 colors tops to make it "pop". Black, red, white, blue and gold are usually the prime suspects to go for.

Equipment has to compliment you're aiming for. Ever saw a pirate wearing a samurai and looking unnatural? Fix it. Big sword lady yet wearing modern clothes is derpy imho, but that's a minor if the costume itself looks good.

Anyways, don't let my criticism discourage you. I know that you know that you want your CAS to be praised in every aspect. Keep on sharing.

So... I'd been looking for a way to get my girly Astaroth character looking a little more ornate while still very cheesily metal. I think this setup looks pretty good with the "master" axe and is definitely a lot more exciting than the basic template I came up with a while ago.

mia4_zpsadb6fd71.jpg

And what started out as a green and red Christmas costume for my Leixia character has become her non-pirate outfit. basically, Ivy's 2P outift, plus a little influence from Hilde's 2P, maybe. Getting the flower brooch and the feathers right took a lot of work because it won't let you zoom in on the character's hat when you're messing with extra objects. I changed green to blue/violet for an all-season version of it, and also took Pocky/Koko's advice and created a black and gold version of it.

maaike6_zps1779d7ec.jpg

maaike7_zps3a1c182e.jpg

I'm also very much open to ideas about how to create a lightweight but creepy look for this character - what I have now what I just threw together for lack of any brilliant ideas at the moment. Something open in the back like the bustier and stockings getup would work best with the tail.

caitlin_zpse12d69cf.jpg

For the Asty girl, less is more. While you want to keep her clothed in metal attire, less is more. The stickers, patterns, and all I'll leave up to you. So far, I find this idea of yours intriguing.

The naughty and somewhat ecchi girl with the bustier is what it is. I'm not into those types irl, but try looking at some designs from your favorite characters to put her on track.

The Ivy CAS is just a Ivy CAS, but the colors and all aren't bad.

Keep in sharing.

Back