New player to SC series

Gurimmjaw

[08] Mercenary
Hey whats up everyone? Been lurking these forums for a few days and decided to make an account here. I was able to get SC5 few days ago from PSN store since it was really cheap. I never played any other Soul Calibur games aside from a bit of Soul Calibur 2. I play many fighters. MK, Injustice, SF, DoA, Tekken, Guilty Gear, Blazblue and VF. What I like about SC is that it completely different from other fighting games using weapons which I find really awesome.

I don't have a main in SC5 yet but I been liking Pyrrha, Algol, Mitsurugi, Ivy, Natsu, Viola, Patroklos, Ezio, Tira, Maxi, and Xiba. I could really use some help understanding how the game works cause im lost at the moment. From my time playing the game I love it so far.

Im also on the PS3.

Welcome to the site!

The best place to start off is by reading through this thread: http://8wayrun.com/threads/8wr-general-directory.5884/

It has general information about SCV such as how the notation system works (e.g. 2A+B) and other cool guides to help you learn more. You can review the site rules at any time here: http://8wayrun.com/threads/welcome-new-members-read-this-first.7284/

And finally, if you want to find some people to play against then why don't you add your PSN name to this list and try to find others in your region? http://8wayrun.com/threads/psn-xbl-online-player-list.10201/

If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Welcome to the site!

The best place to start off is by reading through this thread: http://8wayrun.com/threads/8wr-general-directory.5884/

It has general information about SCV such as how the notation system works (e.g. 2A+B) and other cool guides to help you learn more. You can review the site rules at any time here: http://8wayrun.com/threads/welcome-new-members-read-this-first.7284/

And finally, if you want to find some people to play against then why don't you add your PSN name to this list and try to find others in your region? http://8wayrun.com/threads/psn-xbl-online-player-list.10201/

If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the links! I do already know how the notations work as it similar as how other 3D fighters have the notations. Like 33 would mean down/forward 3 times. And Soul Calibur using the buttons as A, B, K, and G. So one of the Pyrrha's attacks would be 66b.

Though I'll be sure to look over all this information as this will be really helpful to me.

Also I do have one question. Not sure how to execute a move that has a star next to it. And also what is this backstep I hear about? confused what it is.

Also I do have one question. Not sure how to execute a move that has a star next to it. And also what is this backstep I hear about? confused what it is.
stars just mean go to neutral (via bringing your stick/pad to 5), it's mostly just a slight pause. so for :2::3::6::2::5: you would just do 2362 and pause a sec then do whatever move comes after. backtep is just 44

Thanks for the links! I do already know how the notations work as it similar as how other 3D fighters have the notations. Like 33 would mean down/forward 3 times. And Soul Calibur using the buttons as A, B, K, and G. So one of the Pyrrha's attacks would be 66b.

Though I'll be sure to look over all this information as this will be really helpful to me.

33 is d/f twice. Numbers are ALWAYS directions in this game, not factors. Star in the command lists for SCV is just nuetral (aka 5 in SC notation). Backstep is pretty cool too.

stars just mean go to neutral (via bringing your stick/pad to 5), it's mostly just a slight pause. so for :2::3::6::2::5: you would just do 2362 and pause a sec then do whatever move comes after. backtep is just 44

Oh I didn't know it was that simple. Thanks! And didn't know backstep was just 44. I thought it was some kind of KBD motion or something.

33 is d/f twice. Numbers are ALWAYS directions in this game, not factors. Star in the command lists for SCV is just nuetral (aka 5 in SC notation). Backstep is pretty cool too.

Whoops error. Meant 33 is d/f twice not three times lol.

But thanks for teling me that the star in command list just neutral. Never knew was that easy.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here. I'm happy to help if you ever have questions. Just PM me. Mage also gave some helpful links too so make use of those. See you around!
Edit: I also just got SC V for my PS3 a day or so ago so if you want to play a few rounds PM me.

yup no problem. also be sure to head to this thread for some additional help: http://8wayrun.com/threads/teach-me-thread.15405/ make sure you make an effort to contact the people you're interested in since they may not check back on the thread too often.

Thanks for the thread though there doesn't seem to be anyone who uses the character I use or they are on the opposite console. I'll try to look more into the thread maybe stuff hasn't been updated in the first post.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here. I'm happy to help if you ever have questions. Just PM me. Mage also gave some helpful links too so make use of those. See you around!
Edit: I also just got SC V for my PS3 a day or so ago so if you want to play a few rounds PM me.

Appreciate the help if I ever need to ask something.

And you have SC V? We should play sometime then. I'll be sure to PM you.

Hey whats up everyone? Been lurking these forums for a few days and decided to make an account here. I was able to get SC5 few days ago from PSN store since it was really cheap. I never played any other Soul Calibur games aside from a bit of Soul Calibur 2. I play many fighters. MK, Injustice, SF, DoA, Tekken, Guilty Gear, Blazblue and VF. What I like about SC is that it completely different from other fighting games using weapons which I find really awesome.

I don't have a main in SC5 yet but I been liking Pyrrha, Algol, Mitsurugi, Ivy, Natsu, Viola, Patroklos, Ezio, Tira, Maxi, and Xiba. I could really use some help understanding how the game works cause im lost at the moment. From my time playing the game I love it so far.

Im also on the PS3.

Nice to meet you gurimjaw. Would your user name happen to be a bleach reference?

I've been playing Soul Calibur casually for years, but I'm new to SCV, so feel free to add me on PSN. Would be good to learn the game with someone else who's just starting out.

PSN: Wingman_SRK

Welcome to the site.

Are you planning to play casually? Enjoy the game.

If you want to become a genuinely good player, then you're in for a long journey.

Message me and I can get you pointed in the right direction as far as basics to advanced tactics go posted by senior members of the website. I am still learning myself, but I have spent enough time here that I know my way around the website and I can give you enough information to keep you busy training for months.

Also, I play on PS3. I have a mic and I'm an active SC5 player. I am more than willing to show you what I know and I love to spar. Invites only. Again, message me if you're interested.

Take care.

Back