Newbies Start Here

Dr. Hates

Jerk.
Whether you're new to Soul Calibur 4 in general or simply new to playing Cervantes, here are some terms you'll likely be hearing a lot and therefore need to know:

(Note: While I am including some general-purpose notation here, total newbies are well-advised to read the 8wr Newbie Silencer at http://www.8wayrun.com/f6/newbie-silencer-t76/)

iGDR- 214:B (fastest input): Cervantes instantly flashes white and flies through the air, launching his opponent high into the air.

iTP- 214:6 (fastest input): Cervantes instantly flashes white and disappears, reappearing almost immediately some distance in front of where he was previously standing. BT B+K can be buffered from this move.

iTS or iB+K- 214:B+K (fastest input): Cervantes crouches down and then quickly corkscrews into the air. This is most commonly used in juggle combos.

iCT- [G]323B+G: Cervantes' command throw done from a standing position. If buffered properly, he crouches only for a split second.

FC A+BBBB or FC Spam- Begin performing FC A+B, then press B an addition 7 times during the move's execution. Cervantes stabs forward again and again like a maniac, resulting in a guard break that pushes opponents out and gives him +13 frames of advantage.

BT- backturned position, especially important because of Cervantes' BT B+K.

W!- denotes a wallsplat in a combo.

Punish- The ability to land a particular move for free after blocking an opponent's attack.

Unsafe- Moves that can be punished (see above).

Whiff- When an opponent attempts a move and it misses you entirely due to sidestep, backdashing, or simply poor spacing.

Spacing/zoning/positioning- Controlling the distance between you and your opponent.

define "much". Seems it's barely longer and beyond a few instances you would assume to be barely out of range, it matters little.

Just do BB with Cervantes, then do it w/Shura. It's as clear as day. Her iGDR is longer, WS A, etc. Her range is far superior.

Shura's range IS incredibly better compared to Cervantes. In fact, when I use her, you can "feel" the difference. It's hard to adjust to, imo, since I'm so used to knowing when and what move I should use at a certain range. With Shura, I can do 6A in the range of Cervantes' 11B.

Yes Shura has better range and better collision box than Cervantes.

I recall testing against Zasalamel where his WS B can be punished only by Cervy's A; his second A whiffs.

Shura, however, can punish with AA.

Also against Algol's 33B whiffs Shura when she's crouching but not against Cervantes.

Shura is lady luck.

I play pss3 and i dont understand all this 22k 5b and blah, i know what the letters stand for, but what about the numbers?

Look at your numpad on your keyboard. Think of the 5 as the middle of a joystick. 9 would be you pressing up forward, for example

I Want to learn how to play the ghost ass pirate hunting for booty?

::reads Cervantes forums::

It all makes sense now, thanks guys!

::goes into a gay bar::

Back