Nightmare Basics?

Tredan

[08] Mercenary
Hello! I've been Soul Cal-ing for a while now and I've been completely swept away by Nightmare in SCV and I would really like to know how to use him efficiently. Arcade's NM is especially inspiring/frustrating as it's like he has a speed hack going for him....How does he do it?
any help would be much appreciated.

The basics are these.

There's two types of strategies you can run...two schools of thought. And maybe you would prefer one over the other, but to be efficient I would recommend you use both with accordance to match-ups and opponent.

You can play a safe zoning NM with a lot of backwards movement.
You can play an aggressive in your face NM with a reliance on throws and sidestep.

The first option is especially useful if whiff punishing is you go to strat. It's relatively safe and utilizes NM's long range and back dash without taking many risks. Your aim is to bait out attacks that aren't likely to land on you, in attempt to open up your opponent for punishment. This strat frustrates opponents who are especially aggressive, since they have to chase your NM down to apply any pressure. The weakness of this strat is that it relies heavily on your opponent making mistakes. Doesn't put any considerable pressure on your opponent, because you can't throw while back dashing, and your probably putting your back towards the edge or wall.

The second option is very useful if you want to apply pressure. It might not be as safe, but you will find many match-ups or opponents that you have to apply this strat to win. Up close NM is open to utilize his throw/mid game. That's his strongest mixup the reason his front throws are nerfed. A forward movement NM is more likely to land wall combos and ring outs. Sidestepping is your main tool for whiff punishment, but you can still setup backdash for whiff punishment.

Speed hack lol I got accused of that on xbl but anyways. Nightmare has some very good tools to keep him at even or slight plus frames on block. iaga and 66b are the main ones I use. The opponent now has to recover from the plus frames before he can attack himself. Making your next move seem faster because of their recovery. This is refered to as a frame trap.

Nightmares movement around the arena is very fast. His step is the best in the game and his most important aspect. If you wanna get good with Nightmare start here. Alittle practice and you'll be SS and BS'ing shit others can only dream about.

Check out the wiki for frame data. Use soul arena for strategies! Welcome aboard.

Learn how to space. Do so and you win at Soul Calibur with Nightmare.

Spacing involves baiting your opponent, controlling Nightmare's zone, his strongest ranges and knowing when the rushdown is required and how to rushdown with Nightmare.

Back