Nioh's William, Hanzo, or Kelly as a Guest?

Jay_Rupp

[03] Disciple
All 3 of these guys would fit the SC bill perfectly. Especially William with Dual Swords or Hanzo with his Kusarigama. Thoughts?

All 3 of these guys would fit the SC bill perfectly. Especially William with Dual Swords or Hanzo with his Kusarigama. Thoughts?

Is Nioh dropping any sequels or DLC any time soon? Whatever property Namco cross-promotes with is going to need to meet a certain level of marketability. That means either a true run-away freight train of popularity (like the Witcher and Nier), or else something that is expecting a lot of marketing and buzz in the near future. Nioh did pretty well at a about two million units sold, but for comparison, The Witcher III had sold in the vicinity of 30 million units. And with Nioh two years old, I'm not thinking it is a marketing powerhouse on par with what Namco will be looking to piggyback on, unless there's something new in the works.

Stylistically, William and Hanzo are also a little too similar to Mistsurugi (and Arthur, for that matter). Kelley less so, of course.

Is Nioh dropping any sequels or DLC any time soon?
Nioh 2 should be out somtime in 2019 (no concrete date or any details about the game yet).
And with Nioh two years old, I'm not thinking it is a marketing powerhouse on par with what Namco will be looking to piggyback on
Agree, I don't see any Nioh characters making it because of this.
Stylistically, William and Hanzo are also a little too similar to Mistsurugi (and Arthur, for that matter). Kelley less so, of course.
Yeah, William, if made playable, would just be a slightly different Mitsurugi. And while Hanzo with kusarigama would be a pretty interesting character gamplay wise... he is just not big enough in the game itself neither he is popular much, he is just not a guest material. And Kelley, while cool, unique and the last boss of the game (not counting the epilogue) can;t really be aadded without the protagonist, as I don't remember villian of anything to be added somewhere without some kind of protagonist.
Basically, while
All 3 of these guys would fit the SC bill perfectly
is true, chances are still almost zero.

I would love to see either one as a guest character for SC6, but it would mean that there movesets would have to be altered to not look like Mitsurugi's, Taki's, or Azwel's.

I love Nioh and it's characters but they're not iconic video game characters for a guest appearance in a fighting game.

Is Nioh dropping any sequels or DLC any time soon? Whatever property Namco cross-promotes with is going to need to meet a certain level of marketability. That means either a true run-away freight train of popularity (like the Witcher and Nier), or else something that is expecting a lot of marketing and buzz in the near future. Nioh did pretty well at a about two million units sold, but for comparison, The Witcher III had sold in the vicinity of 30 million units. And with Nioh two years old, I'm not thinking it is a marketing powerhouse on par with what Namco will be looking to piggyback on, unless there's something new in the works.

Nioh 2 is dropping this year. And William had access to to a plethora of weapons (like dual swords, spears, etc) and magic/jutsu as well. Hanzo I think would probably be too similar to Taki, but who knows. I just love that game and the challenges it presents you. I bought Witcher III on sale a while back and I barely made it out of the prologue area before quitting. Horizon Zero Dawn's Aloy though? She'd definitely be well suited in SC. Her spear is the shit. Random thought, I know.

Last edited:
Nioh 2 is dropping this year. And William had access to to a plethora of weapons (like dual swords, spears, etc) and magic/jutsu as well. Hanzo I think would probably be too similar to Taki, but who knows. I just love that game and the challenges it presents you. I bought Witcher III on sale a while back and I barely made it out of the prologue area before quitting. Horizon Zero Dawn's Aloy though? She'd definitely be well suited in SC. Her spear is the shit. Random thought, I know.

Even more random than you think: just yesterday in another thread, I was just suggesting her as someone who had occured to me as a guest! I mean it might be difficult to animate her in a way that is faithful and still lets her hit as heavy as she would need to for SC, but I think she has sufficiently varied moveset, at the least. The problem is, I think we're just a little too far past her peak popularity to make her a good cross-promotion opportunity. I really, really hope Horizon 2 is deep into production by now though--talk about one of the stand out games of the last few years: that's how to tell a compelling story in a game, with real production values. I was blown away when I learned that Aloy was voiced by Ashley Burch. "Aloy is the girl from HAWYP? Tiny Tina=Aloy!?" Who knew she had acting chops like that.

Back