NM A+B String Defence Guide

Schneider-X

[11] Champion
A+B counter characteristics:
-any high, mid, s. mid or s.low move under 24 damage, some exceptions
-counter frames active at frame 6
-if opponent attacks after the counter is activated attack will be guard impacted
-counter can be guarded if opponent uses a move with quick recovery
-has clean hit properties

While a bad idea to throw out all willy nilly, this move allow you to kill certain strings, by punishing certain moves that are normally safe, or requires meter normally to defend against. This is in no way a list of the most effective strategies against certain strings as JG, ducking and stepping can often yield better reward. However, in a tournament situation, it's useful to keep in mind A+B when you want a low execution guaranteed punish.

Legend
X* - you have the move preceding the asterisk to hit A+B and activate the counter
*X - A+B must be input before opponent's move, needs anticipation or reaction
----------------------------------------

Aeon
None worth mentioning

Algol
6AAB*
3AA*
4BA*
6KK*
*6B+K
33AB*
*66A+B - has double hit (60+ damage)

Alpha Patroklos
FC3B:B* & BE

Astaroth
66K BE*
1BB*
*22AA - only guaranteed if second A is inputted

Cervantes
*6A+B
*44A

Dampierre
44K*BE - 2nd hit
44BK*B

Hilde
[A+B]* - have the second hit activate counter
3B BE*
3BA*

Ivy
22B BE*
WR A+BB*
66[A]*
*44B+K

Lexia
66AA*
6KK*
22kAA*

Maxi
LI AB BE*

Mitsurugi
*kB

Natsu
6AB*
*8KA - guaranteed only if A is inputted
Nightmare
33B BE*
*NSS A & NSS [A]

Patroklos
6BB*B - guaranteed only if 3rd B inputted
66A BE*
1B BE* - 2nd hit activates counter
22AA* - delayed

Pyrrha
3KK*
*3A+B

Pyrrha Omega
*3A+B

Raphael
None worth mentioning

Siegfried
66K BE*

Tira
JS 66B BE*
GS 4B:B*
*GS 44B
*GS 44[B

Viola
both set and orb 44A B* - delayed
set 44A BE* - delayed
Set B+K BE* - not guaranteed but will be relatively safe due to Viola's poor punishing ability
both set and orb 2A+B*

Voldo
[B+K] - 2nd hit
236B*B

Xiba
You will want to hitconfirm the BE flash before inputting A+B for Xiba's Kong's Head Slam (the animation following 6BK and 6AK etc.), the opponent can delay the BE once they catch on.
6AK* BE
6BK*BE
A+BBK*BE
66KB*
66BB*B
*REM B

Yoshimitsu
3AB BE*
66B+K A+B*

Z.W.E.I.
Generally you will want to have Ein activate the counter, though be wary of how his attacks can be easily delayed.
1 [B ] K - A+B Ein
66[A+B] - Ein delayed
33B BE*
3A BE*
22BB*

Please point out any errors, or moves that you feel should be added to the list.

Siegfried:

A+B detonates on most of Chief hold moves save for CH B

Nightmare:

A+B should detonate against GS moves except GS B. Though this is something you throw out once in a while.

Siegfried:

A+B detonates on most of Chief hold moves save for CH B
But SCH B is the one that matters most, as it deals by far the most dmg. Getting hit by either SCH A or K is really not that big of a deal but risking to get SCH B'd for at least 70 dmg is something you want to avoid at any time.
Also when he cancels his stance (which is a very important option) he can 3B punish you.

But SCH B is the one that matters most, as it deals by far the most dmg. Getting hit by either SCH A or K is really not that big of a deal but risking to get SCH B'd for at least 70 dmg is something you want to avoid at any time.
Also when he cancels his stance (which is a very important option) he can 3B punish you.

Against his stance its a mind game. Even if it is a risk, you want to throw it out there so he knows its there. The more CH B he does or delayed CH B, opens up your options for other things.

Its an option which I use as part of my defense against CH. From my research, the options against chief hold are 3B, A+B and iagA (these options should include all manners of delays etc, I use 6A instead of iagA cause of the ease factor). Though depending on range, you can backstep/sidestep out of some options. At extreme range, 1B and/or NSS B is a good whiff punisher against CH (especially when he is trying to space using chief hold).

Against his stance its a mind game. Even if it is a risk, you want to throw it out there so he knows its there. The more CH B he does or delayed CH B, opens up your options for other things.

Its an option which I use as part of my defense against CH. From my research, the options against chief hold are 3B, A+B and iagA (these options should include all manners of delays etc, I use 6A instead of iagA cause of the ease factor). Though depending on range, you can backstep/sidestep out of some options. At extreme range, 1B and/or NSS B is a good whiff punisher against CH (especially when he is trying to space using chief hold).
The reason why i think its not a good idea, is because you have options to cause siegfried to go for something else whith less risk or better reward.

To my best knowledge his safest options are:
- Backstep (beats everything but in most cases only a 3B will be guaranteed, can still be canceled)
- 99K (beats SCH A, B and K and is safe in case he cancels, gets beaten by realigning and only deals little damage - same with QS~2A)

But because those options have low reward in my eyes its the smartest to mix up between:
- 99B/ 99B BE which beats SCH B and K and stancetransitions
and
- 4K BE which beats SCH A and B, stance cancels and realigning

With those two you cover up all of siegfrieds options and risk/reward is heavily in your favor (on a correct guess sieg will in most cases only deal poke damage, while you deal big dmg)

Edit: You could also try to go for QS~GS B but thats quite strict in terms of timing.

It's worth mentioning that A+B can be used to escape Algol's chair vortex (BT B+K → BT A+B loop).

It's worth mentioning that A+B can be used to escape Algol's chair vortex (BT B+K → BT A+B loop).

You don't need A+B to escape the chair vortex, just roll forward on the ground and you'll escape it.

Also, there are a lot of instances where you can use A+B in anticipation, like when your opponent likes to BB after gaining frame advantage. However, I felt it wouldn't be as useful as listing moves with telegraphed animations or canned strings that lead to a guaranteed A+B punish..

The reason why i think its not a good idea, is because you have options to cause siegfried to go for something else whith less risk or better reward.

To my best knowledge his safest options are:
- Backstep (beats everything but in most cases only a 3B will be guaranteed, can still be canceled)
- 99K (beats SCH A, B and K and is safe in case he cancels, gets beaten by realigning and only deals little damage - same with QS~2A)

But because those options have low reward in my eyes its the smartest to mix up between:
- 99B/ 99B BE which beats SCH B and K and stancetransitions
and
- 4K BE which beats SCH A and B, stance cancels and realigning

With those two you cover up all of siegfrieds options and risk/reward is heavily in your favor (on a correct guess sieg will in most cases only deal poke damage, while you deal big dmg)

Edit: You could also try to go for QS~GS B but thats quite strict in terms of timing.

Backstep does not beat the delayed/realigning CH B which Shen Yuan taught me was extremely deadly.

Backstep does not beat the delayed/realigning CH B which Shen Yuan taught me was extremely deadly.
It totally does. Unless you mean siegfried outright doing a frontstep after 3B. Realigning means siegfried is basically just shortly tapping 6_4_2_8 to beat sidestep (he is not really moving therefore).

It totally does. Unless you mean siegfried outright doing a frontstep after 3B. Realigning means siegfried is basically just shortly tapping 6_4_2_8 to beat sidestep (he is not really moving therefore).

He can front step and from most ranges, normal SCH B will beat backstep.

When he does a frontstep SCH B you do Backstep~8

I would advice though, if you feel unsure about the spacing (if SCH B might hit or not) go for a close range option, either 99K or 4K for no meter.

If you have meter imo you should always go for the 99 B BE/ 4K BE mixup.

Back