No more CGS... apparently...

I am still asking this question because I just don't get it.

Why don't we have gaming on TV...like in Korea where starcraft is broadcasted on live television?
Dude I spend hours just watching Korean Starcraft matches Commentated in English on Youtube, and Gomtv.net... so personally I just don’t get why it’s taking them so long.

I am still asking this question because I just don't get it.

Why don't we have gaming on TV...like in Korea where starcraft is broadcasted on live television?
Dude I spend hours just watching Korean Starcraft matches Commentated in English on Youtube, and Gomtv.net... so personally I just don’t get why it’s taking them so long.
I think that you'd have to set up in a way that it's possible to get viewers. CGS occupied a tiny niche from one satellite provider. I always wondered how they were drawing any significant number of viewers given that arrangement. Set something like that up on Sci-Fi or some channel with broader access. (Hey, if they have idiots competing in a reality show just to play GoW2 early...)

I don't see why it'd be impossible to set up a professional FG league. Just cut away the bloated corp hivemind that decided things like GM's, random gender specific leagues, keep specific clans (Like PMS) from being able to seed tourneys at whim etc were good ideas...

The truth is that a lot of people in this community would gladly take a contract from CGS for Calibur, shame they had to go.

in reality who could afford to take a contract from cgs. Well at least i cant. I think i read somewhere that if you are the top top winner, the best of the best, you still only make a max of around $25,000 per year. (someone please correct me if im wrong on that figure.) Try living in expensive ass california, with 2 kids and trying to raise a family, and someone elses family due to alamony and child support (which i pay before my rent). You couldnt do it. Its really dissapointing isnt it. When you see a football player that rides the bench all season long and basiclly shows up for practice and makes 6 figures!! We as americans are so hung up on our sporting events, celbrities, etc. The reason they make so much damn money is because we want it (as a whole country) we are the only country that spoils our celebrities like that.
I personally would LOVE to see a professional gaming league that is on TV every sunday to get it on with the latest fighting game or any game for that matter. But it would require bigger sponsers, people not to hire thier friends and call then "general managers". unfortuantly CGS fell to the typical coperate downfall that 95% of comapnies fall to. To many employees, Way to much overhead and not enough revenue and/or investors to cover it all!

in reality who could afford to take a contract from cgs. Well at least i cant. I think i read somewhere that if you are the top top winner, the best of the best, you still only make a max of around $25,000 per year. (someone please correct me if im wrong on that figure.) Try living in expensive ass california, with 2 kids and trying to raise a family, and someone elses family due to alamony and child support (which i pay before my rent). You couldnt do it. Its really dissapointing isnt it. When you see a football player that rides the bench all season long and basiclly shows up for practice and makes 6 figures!! We as americans are so hung up on our sporting events, celbrities, etc. The reason they make so much damn money is because we want it (as a whole country) we are the only country that spoils our celebrities like that.
I personally would LOVE to see a professional gaming league that is on TV every sunday to get it on with the latest fighting game or any game for that matter. But it would require bigger sponsers, people not to hire thier friends and call then "general managers". unfortuantly CGS fell to the typical coperate downfall that 95% of comapnies fall to. To many employees, Way to much overhead and not enough revenue and/or investors to cover it all!

From what I know, people that were in it had enough time to hold down a job on top of it. But anyways, If people want Calibur to become a game that can be played professionally they shouldn't be wanting things like CGS to fail.

From what I know, people that were in it had enough time to hold down a job on top of it. But anyways, If people want Calibur to become a game that can be played professionally they shouldn't be wanting things like CGS to fail.

looking at the big picture....you are absolutly correct. Unfortunatly Cgs itself was poorly planned, porley managed, and poorly funded. Other teams are still around, probablly not doing as well as far as publicity, or taking care of the players etc goes, so hopefully a better thing will come along. Im sure it will, its just a matter of time. I do feel sorry for the players (however cocky and arrogant some of them were) because now the dream of being a pro gamer is gone.....for now! fortunatly for them the have had some publicity that will look good on a resume to someone else, so they will recover in time.

I would rather see that football player riding the pine, to have to get a 2nd job to make ends meet. someone should write a letter to someone. I think someone has priorities messed up.

You can't just blindly support anything that comes along just 'cause it gives people money to play games.

If a league started up that chose players by random lottery, (and retained players solely on their personality) picked Iron and Blood as their flagship game, and had people on the left hand side of the stage dress up as clowns in spandex unitards "Because it's TV!!!!" but paid the people selected by lottery $60k a year, that would be worth supporting?

There has to be a balance. If there isn't, the league is going to die sooner or later.

You can't just blindly support anything that comes along just 'cause it gives people money to play games.

If a league started up that chose players by random lottery, (and retained players solely on their personality) picked Iron and Blood as their flagship game, and had people on the left hand side of the stage dress up as clowns in spandex unitards "Because it's TV!!!!" but paid the people selected by lottery $60k a year, that would be worth supporting?

There has to be a balance. If there isn't, the league is going to die sooner or later.

Beautifully put my friend. But what the trick is now IMO is to find that balance that appeals to the masses. Unfortunatly gaming is not adopted as a true sport yet. Just look at skateboarding for example. Its only within the last 10 years or so that it was adopted by the masses as a true sport that people will only now actually watch. And we all saw good companies such as powell peralta, g&s, t&c, and others go down the tube due to lack of support. it happens, itll happen again i promise.

So this is all nothing new. Its been happening in every type of BUSINESS for decades. You might be able to say one day that cgs were the "founding fathers" or whatever for the gaming industry when it explodes. (I truley believe one day it will) but right know you gotta look at it as a business. People playing video games on tv for money just isnt appealing to the masses at the moment. Maybe you can blame poor marketing for that. No body has made it exciting enough.

Thats my opinion....whats yours!!??

EDIT: im being told that powell peralta is still alive....but i was just trying to make a skating 80's refernce. My point still remains the same!

The important question is not 'do I want this to fail?', but rather 'do I want to watch this shit at all?'. Too many people answered 'no' to the second question and it failed. Good or bad intentions from the sidelines really mean nothing.

CGS should have learned from Vince McMahon that the only thing in the world that succeeds when you promote it like Pro Wrestling...is Pro Wrestling.

That isn't what I was supporting though, so thats not even a good point. Your example is like me saying you like mortal kombat because you like calibur. Just because I want something like CGS to do well doesn't mean I want that random imaginary league you created to do well. Sure CGS died in the end but why wouldn't you want it to do good?

That isn't what I was supporting though, so thats not even a good point. Your example is like me saying you like mortal kombat because you like calibur. Just because I want something like CGS to do well doesn't mean I want that random imaginary league you created to do well. Sure CGS died in the end but why wouldn't you want it to do good?

i think your missing the point of what he's saying....

you have to look back at the bigger picture. if cgs is one of the "bigger" teams then you can imagine that all the other teams are having simular issues. and if they are not, then you probablly havent heard of them. If a big team such cgs cant succeed its because of numerous things. But bottom line is that whoever ran that team didnt make it appeal to the masses. Money is what makes the world go round. Nothing in life is free, nor does anybody do anything for free. If you dont have the support of the majority of the american people, your are not going to succeed in any business. Majority of people dont want to watch pro gamers on tv, as unfortunate as that is, its true.

am i dissapointed that cgs didnt make it....yes to a certain extent
am i suprised that a business failed that was started of false pertences....no

But you have to keep in mind that this is a normal thing that happens everyday. take it from me i know bout losing a business. Does this mean the end of gaming pro's everywhere...no. It means that something better is going to come along because hopefully someone learned from cgs's mistakes and will take advantage!

My point was, CGS had problems. Wierd custom rules that no other competitive format used. Wierd criteria for who got air time etc. (There HAS to be a girl!) random GM's...

I have no problem with a pro gaming league, but it should at least get the pro part right. It's too bad CGS folded for the people who were actually getting paid by them, but CGS itself was not really furthering competitive gaming. Just attracted a lotta hangers on spouting nonsense like, "This is how it is now! Better get used to it!!!!"

The lowest salary for a CGS player was $18k for a full year, with franchised players getting just shy of $30k for a full year. If your team did not make the playoffs or World Final, but you were the best player in the league at your game, you could make an additional $5k ($23k total for the lowest paid players) in the Individual World Final. However, you would get more money for taking 1st/2nd in the playoffs, and guaranteed money no matter where you placed in the World Final. The most you could make, assuming your team took first in North America and the World Final, and you won the Individual World Final and the World Final MVP, was $100k. Black Mamba (DOA player) pretty much did this last year.

In addition to all of that, you only work for two months out of the year, so you can easily have another job in addition to your CGS duties.

There are also a lot of misconceptions about the CGS. It did well in terms of viewership. Not so much on DirecTV, but on G4 and around the world it brought in very good ratings. The problem as far as I could tell was figuring out a way to get enough money from selling the content to cover the high overhead of the league. It was costing at least $3-5 million to run the league for a single year and I can guarantee they weren't getting that much from airing it across the world, even with solid ratings.

I appreciate your 'in the know' viewpoint DrDogg as I'm sure it's set a few things straight about the CGS and their payscale in more than just one person's mind.

I wish it would have lasted as I truly do think this is a step back in the path to legitimizing video games. :(

The lowest salary for a CGS player was $18k for a full year, with franchised players getting just shy of $30k for a full year. If your team did not make the playoffs or World Final, but you were the best player in the league at your game, you could make an additional $5k ($23k total for the lowest paid players) in the Individual World Final. However, you would get more money for taking 1st/2nd in the playoffs, and guaranteed money no matter where you placed in the World Final. The most you could make, assuming your team took first in North America and the World Final, and you won the Individual World Final and the World Final MVP, was $100k. Black Mamba (DOA player) pretty much did this last year.

I figured I might be a little off. I had no idea that you had the POTENTIAL to make that much money at cgs. Good for mamba. But the industry is changing, in my opion for the better. Unfortuantly that requires weeding out things (or companies) that dont work. And unfortunatly for cgs, they were the "weakest link....goodbye."

I would defenitly consider a "pro" gamer more of an athlete than that fat ass the rides the pine all year for the NFL. Im sure that many of you agree with me as well. The time for sports that require using your mind rather than your physical skill is coming! And it will happen sooner than you think. But unfortunatly until there is a demand from the majority of the american public......Companies like cgs will continue to fall!!

The way i put it sounds horrible, but thats reality!

Back