Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Japanese

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Swedish

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dab_Of_Oppo

Gentlemen of the Road
Well, my degree program I'm planning on achieving (creative writing and book publishing) has a requirement. One of those requirements is to learn a foreign language. Now I have to choose one, darn.

Spanish - Nope, just not a 'want to do,' fun to sing in though.
French - Maybe, if I had none of the other options.
German - Took one year in high school, disgusting language. You always sound pissed off.
Italian - Most interesting, would love to go to Italy sometime
Japanese - Also vary interesting, and complicated, would possibly help in a career (I thought it would be awesome to write Anime dubs for Funimation or something, how they have to re-write all the dialogue into English)
Swedish - very fluid, fun to sing in.

Personally I'm going to pick Japanese. I already tried German and Spanish in highschool, and neither are much fun. Japanese, because of my personal interests and apparently yours in anime, will be fun to learn. You'll learn about certain gags and random things about Japan which I'm guessing you're interested in. The only challenge will be learning the characters and the syllabary. Oh and learning hiragana and katakana. That's a lot of characters.

As far as Spanish, German, or Italian. My friend put it into these sets of terms. "Do you want to argue with, yell at, or seduce women?"

Deutsch natürlich! :)

Seriously, if I wasn't German, I probably wouldn't want to learn it. That's not because I don't like how it sounds, but the grammar... you can even chase Germans away with grammar exercises... But I have to admit that it's probably the best language to insult someone. :D

Chose the language you'd like to learn most. The more motivation you have, the easier it becomes to learn.

German is actually extremely easy since English is a Germanic language. Though you may already know that.

Japanese is very different from English, so It will take more time to get the hang of it (unless you have a really good teacher). If you want to do Japanese related writing then go for it. I'm sure you'd enjoy it. It's also very fluid to sing since it is a lyrical language.

Italian is also very appealing. I don't know much about it, but it sounds good and heart-felt when used in opera. :p

Deutsch natürlich! :)

Seriously, if I wasn't German, I probably wouldn't want to learn it. That's not because I don't like how it sounds, but the grammar... you can even chase Germans away with grammar exercises... But I have to admit that it's probably the best language to insult someone. :D

Chose the language you'd like to learn most. The more motivation you have, the easier it becomes to learn.
You know that's bollocks - haitian. ^_~

Spanish. More easier. Don't do Japanese. Especially don't do German. Unless you like a challenge.....

I've attempted German before. It will mostly depend on what the school offers, methinks.

Like Greek, being a descendant of one, I would love to learn it. But find a school that offers it, in Iowa or Wisconsin? ha.

Spanish is easier because you only need to learn 18 endings for each tense (past, present, future) and then you can use 1000s of verbs.
The Verbs end in -er -ir and -ar.

-ar Verbs:
-ar verbs such as hablar end in -ar but can be changed to suit your audience. For example:
When changing the ending of a verb, take off the last two letters (-ar in this case) and replace it with something else.
(NOTE: In Spanish you don't have to put I, the verb says I/He/She/They/You, etc for you).

Hablar (to speak)
I --> Replace the -ar with -o (Hablar --> Hablo)
You -> Replace the -ar with -as (Hablar --> Hablas)
He/She --> Replace the -ar with -a (Hablar --> Habla)
We --> Replace the -ar with -amos (Hablar --> Hablamos)
You (Plural) --> Replace the -ar with -ais (Hablar --> Hablais)
They --> Replace the -ar with -an (Hablar --> Hablan)

For -ar verbs you just need to remember those endings. For example: Hablo espanol. (sorry can't do the accent). This basically translates into "I speak Spanish". It's easy.

-er Verbs:
-er verbs are the same as -ar verbs, but the endings are slightly different:

Beber (to drink)
I --> Replace the -er with -o (Beber --> Bebo)
You --> Replace the -er with -es (Beber --> Bebes)
He/She --> Replace the -er with -e (Beber --> Bebe)
We --> Replace the -er with -emos (Beber --> Bebemos)
You (Plural) --> Replace the -er with -eis (Beber --> Bebeis)
They --> Replace the -er with -en (Beber --> Beben)

Just remember these set of endings as well. For example: Bebo coke (you may need to put "Que" in front of that sentence).

-ir Verbs:
Same again but different set of endings (last one, I promise! :3):

Vivir (to live)
I --> Replace the -ir with -o (Vivir --> Vivo)
You --> Replace the -ir with -es (Vivir --> Vives)
He/She --> Replace the -ir with -e (Vivir --> Vive)
We --> Replace the -ir with imos (Vivir --> Vivimos)
You (Plural) --> Replace the -ir with -is (Vivir --> Vivis)
They --> Replace the -ir with -en (Vivir --> Viven)

This is the third and last set of endings you'll need to remember as well, it's not too hard once you get used to it. -ir Verb example: Vivo en Inglaterra --> I live in England.

***​
Of course, there will be the odd ones out who don't fit this list but you should be able to overcome them by learning more. Remember just these three set of endings, and you've mastered the verbs of the present tense! Sorry for the long lesson, but I hope you understand better now.​
All together, there are 18 verb endings for present tense, 18 for past tense and 18 for future tense.​
Hope this helps! :)​

Lesson 1:
800px-Eichhörnchen_in_Heilbronn.jpg
Eichhörnchen

Back