Ok, I need help... please

Status
Not open for further replies.

[08] Mercenary
As I said in my intro thread, Taki was the only character I ever used in a SC game(SC1 was the last SC I played) so I naturally went to Natsu in this game.

My history in 3d fighting games is not good though, as I am a traditional 2d fighter fan, but I came tot his game with an open mind and I really want to like it and get better at it. So far I do like it but I'm not getting better...

I'm really having a hard time understanding the game. I'm trying...over and over and over...I'm really trying, but I keep getting blown up.

I have the hardcover guide, I've studied moves and setups, traps, etc. I TRY to keep my mind on punishment and quick moves. I try to use 8WR moves with her but keep getting hit anyway. In the end I wind up mashing AAB, A+B, 66B BE, 1A because it's all that keeps me in the game. What am I missing?

Maybe Natsu isn't the right character for me?

As I said in my intro thread, Taki was the only character I ever used in a SC game(SC1 was the last SC I played) so I naturally went to Natsu in this game.

My history in 3d fighting games is not good though, as I am a traditional 2d fighter fan, but I came tot his game with an open mind and I really want to like it and get better at it. So far I do like it but I'm not getting better...

I'm really having a hard time understanding the game. I'm trying...over and over and over...I'm really trying, but I keep getting blown up.

I have the hardcover guide, I've studied moves and setups, traps, etc. I TRY to keep my mind on punishment and quick moves. I try to use 8WR moves with her but keep getting hit anyway. In the end I wind up mashing AAB, A+B, 66B BE, 1A because it's all that keeps me in the game. What am I missing?

Maybe Natsu isn't the right character for me?

This game is all about knowing what your character can do, what your opponents character can do, and reading your opponent. If something as simple as AAB is working, don't stop using it until your opponent finds a way to deal with it, then ask yourself this:

What did my opponent use to stop it?
What can I do to counter what my opponent is doing?

If you know all the basics of Soulcalibur such as movement, spacing, whiff punishing, combos, etc, then it comes down to experience and playing opponents who are a little better than you. Try to watch match replays and ask yourself questions - at least about all the major things that happened, such as when somebody took damage and what lead up to that.

This game is all about knowing what your character can do, what your opponents character can do, and reading your opponent. If something as simple as AAB is working, don't stop using it until your opponent finds a way to deal with it, then ask yourself this:

What did my opponent use to stop it?
What can I do to counter what my opponent is doing?

If you know all the basics of Soulcalibur such as movement, spacing, whiff punishing, combos, etc, then it comes down to experience and playing opponents who are a little better than you. Try to watch match replays and ask yourself questions - at least about all the major things that happened, such as when somebody took damage and what lead up to that.

That's why I'm getting so frustrated... when AAB or another of the strings I mentioned stops working... I seem to get nothing else to work either and my game completely shuts down.

I'm also still learning the basics... I am new to SC after all...LOL

Thank you for the tips though.

Welcome! I'm a 2D fighting gamer myself, so I know how you feel all too well. What I did to help me adjust a little more easily is pretend that you're always at neutral. Offense works nothing like it does in 2D fighters. Whatever you think in 2D, think opposite in 3D.

The one thing that SC actually has in common with 2D fighters is that you want to open your opponent to moves that they have to standing block. That's really all I can think of. I can explain more later on if you add me on MSN or Skype. It's easier that way.

Welcome! I'm a 2D fighting gamer myself, so I know how you feel all too well. What I did to help me adjust a little more easily is pretend that you're always at neutral. Offense works nothing like it does in 2D fighters. Whatever you think in 2D, think opposite in 3D.

The one thing that SC actually has in common with 2D fighters is that you want to open your opponent to moves that they have to standing block. That's really all I can think of. I can explain more later on if you add me on MSN or Skype. It's easier that way.

That makes some sense actually... I'll also add you on PSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back