Online Features/Experience

Shin_Zakira

[05] Battler
Hello SOULmates,

Long SC fan here... well I've been playing the game since SE to be more precise.

I come to visit the site from time to time and read posts... but enough of me, let's discuss one of the important (if not the most important) issue in this day of age. Online connectivity, features and experience.

Nowadays, a game dies and lives by its online experience (specially with multiplayer games). No matter how good the game is, if the game's online experience sucks it will not last long.

So to start, I would like to see the games online features are at least equivalent to what we see in SFV. The ability to go to training mode while turning on Rank, Casual play or even both, will help players stay active in the game without getting board. I think the Ranking system in SFV is the ideal system. Showing Win Lose ratio instead of points will discourage new players (who keep losing due to lack of practice etc...) from continuing playing the game.

One feature that I would like to see is the ability to invite a friend to play in training mode and learning/teaching the in and outs of the game.

One feature I defiantly do not want is the lobby system we see in Guilty Gear Xrd. That feature just killed the game for me and killed the potential to buy Dragon Ball FighterZ. The experience just sucks in general. You have to go into a some what of a virtual Arcade and sit your ass in one the cabinets hoping someone will come and play against you. The waiting is boring. That also goes for the Rank mode. Searching for an opponent to play against also sucks. Just make the server search for opponents.

One more thing, I played Tekken7. and the online experience there also not that great. Long loading times and it takes quite a long time to find someone to play against. And the set of matches are not limited like SFV, which you end playing against the same player for a long time (I think this is the reason why it's hard to find opponents). So this is an issue to me.

I think we all should voice out our opinions regarding the matter to SoulCalibur team so that they have a clear idea of what the community wants before they release the game and everything is a mess.

I like SCV's online, especially the GC, but there are things that could be improved. More options when creating and searching for PM rooms, better Ranked (it not just being a random search without any idea if there are actually any people online or not, or if they selected a better connection criteria),... I definitely don't want anything removed. GC is great and I want it to stay. Player licences are great, I don't want them to go either. What I say somewhere in the SC6 discussion already that I think would be briliant - online sharing of CaS, that's definitely something I'd like.

I would really like them to change the ranking system to something like Tekken's
Where each character has their own rank and make ranks harder to attain and not just a grind fest.
Also rank exclusive items.
Change rank names, for example:

Green ranks:
Begineer
Novice
.. etc

Yellow ranks:

Orange:

Red:

Blue:

Gold:

etc

Ranked Ladder

public / private Endless lobbies

Conquest mode in the style of Soul Calibur 2/3 Arcade, though I never really got a chance to play SC3 in arcades

I think Tekken’s online play is pretty damn good now.

The ranked system is well done, the lobbies (with the addition of instant rematches if it’s just two people), are a style which makes sense and is very familiar across most online fighting games, and the connections are buttery smooth.

I also like the tournament format they have in T7, though the prize structure could be reworked a bit to be a little more rewarding. (Though this is a topic that greatly veers into the customization area)

I would like to see the implementation of a symbol or character card indicating that I picked random, though. Other than choosing ‘Random Male/Female’ there’s no way to signify that you’ve chosen random. It’s not game breaking at all, but I do feel a little bad when I get beat by someone, or beat them, and then random hands me the char they just previously used and I look like, “that guy.”

Show disconnect rate
Temp bans and xp nerf for high disconnect rate

I can already feel the salt. It would be nice if you were disabled from playing ranked if you have bad sportsmanship
But if a player quits the game or turns off the console, how is it supposed to be saved on his / her account? I only have experience with scV, so I don't know how other franchises go around that...

But if a player quits the game or turns off the console, how is it supposed to be saved on his / her account? I only have experience with scV, so I don't know how other franchises go around that...
If you quit before the game registers the "end" of a match when you return to the game it counts as a loss.

This works perfectly fine in Overwatch.

And they also tell you that you have a -75% xp gain for X number of matches.

They need to take it a step further if people are constant bad sports and disable ranked matches

Last edited:
Id like to see..

1-As Cecil said, instant rematch option in a lobby of two slots.

2-Online Training Mode.

3-In Player Match, if the host leaves or disconnects, another member of the lobby randomly becomes the host. Instead of the entire thing disconnecting & all players poof.

4-The option for rounds to be 80 seconds long, again.

5-When creating a session, give us the option to enable or disable viewing what character the opponent is using in the character select screen.

6-Online Team Battle mode. Similar to Soul Edge's TBM. An option from 2v2 too 5v5. They can go the SC2 route and make it possible up to 8v8 but that would be awful in a session of 6 players.
7-SC emojis in the chatbox. :sc1tak1::sc5sc::sc1vol1::sc5se::sc3set1:

But most importantly, a good netcode. SCV on XBL is perfect, lag-free and almost never disconnects. Unlike PSN, where disconnections occur very frequently. I hope this issue is fixed in SCVI. Plz don't make me get another console just for one game again....

I'd probably like to see an online feature in you pair yourself against one other online player. I will explain.
You both can agree on how many rounds per set you both play, and if you would like to play best 2 of 3 sets; 3 0f 5; 4 of 7; 5 of 9 -- similar to how players in many communities do offline.
Also since this would involve only TWO online players, you could have the features similar to SCIVs VS Battle Menu options:
- the ability to switch characters and keep the battles going between the two players without have to go to a lobby room (when it is just the two players particpating)
- the ability to switch stages (in case one player or both players want to switch characters AND stages OR if the players do not intend to switch characters but would only desire to change stages)

For me, that would seem to be a cool one vs. one online mode.

Id like to see..

1-As Cecil said, instant rematch option in a lobby of two slots.

2-Online Training Mode.

3-In Player Match, if the host leaves or disconnects, another member of the lobby randomly becomes the host. Instead of the entire thing disconnecting & all players poof.

4-The option for rounds to be 80 seconds long, again.

5-When creating a session, give us the option to enable or disable viewing what character the opponent is using in the character select screen.

6-Online Team Battle mode. Similar to Soul Edge's TBM. An option from 2v2 too 5v5. They can go the SC2 route and make it possible up to 8v8 but that would be awful in a session of 6 players.
7-SC emojis in the chatbox. :sc1tak1::sc5sc::sc1vol1::sc5se::sc3set1:

But most importantly, a good netcode. SCV on XBL is perfect, lag-free and almost never disconnects. Unlike PSN, where disconnections occur very frequently. I hope this issue is fixed in SCVI. Plz don't make me get another console just for one game again....
^ #3, #6, #7. Just reading the entire thread just now. lol

Back