Online Server Test/Beta Post-mortem

E4Ducky

[01] Neophyte
Heavenly time playing this beta with all of you,

>Love:
*Everyone has more BreakAttacks now which really gives the game more depth: it beats GI and RE--look at Maxi now, that lad it gonna tippety-top tier.
*Supers can be GI'd--thank God.
*A better noob-inviter than flashy garbage was everyone having an AAA and BBB and other move standardizing (Siegers now has 1B for his 2A+B and his basic B is what b6 was and 6B is now what 11B was.
*New costumes are fantastic++
*As a long-time Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, and Maxi player, I gotta say I love their new movesets. Yoshi is wildly different now and has so many fun options--love his MED K and Meter-centric style. Maxi having a bunch of GI opportunities and BA moves will hopefully make him safer and solid all-around... wasn't sure about all the seemingly random :Just moves I'd get while transitioning stances... How do you do them and what to they grant you? Safety? I hope it's +frames.
*Despite not liking my legacy knowledge/muscle memory messed with, it is cool seeing a lot of the great staple moves or just cool looking moves get put into simpler inputs:
Kilik's 4,6B is now 4B (with a RE option)

*MITSURUGI... I'm gonna be mentioning him a lot in this. He has a lot of good old stuff back and his new stuff is quite fun.

>Great new moves
Mitsu:
1B,B/A+B, 6B,B] (Oh lordy, that A,A,B combo follow-up) MIST B,B,B,B (perfect for RE crush and now you have to commit to stance transitioning by the first B--which I think is more honest). RELIC 6G is now his GI (I hardly used it when it was that jankie 3-button input for the other games). RELIC A,A/B is an awesome mix-up, sad to see his B lose its side-step though, RELIC seems way less safe now. Now, I'll contradict myself and advocate for a lack of options: I'm glad RELIC A+B only has 2 charge periods now. I miss the immediate BAtk version (seems odd that VI would be the one to do it, given how prominent they are now) but I'm glad he no longer has charge2 Low, Low.
Maxi: glad to see the flying kick :Just back and 6A+B is what it is in V and tech-crouches and is a great low-frame punisher (the Soulcharge version is bonkers) 4A,B 44A,B 236B 1K,K/B are back and lovely.
Yoshi: 1B,B/A/B] series is awesome. MED K and a lot of other Tekken 7 moves were added and I think that's a great thing for Yoshi. Poor lad always needed more strings and transition moves into his, risky to enter, stances. The directional teleports seem better than ever, but sadly his MED moves are back to how they were in IV (V's tracking and homing made it very useful). Feels weird having 3B do a "spirit shield" looking move. Nice that it has a DGF transition for mix-ups. In general, DGF seems emphasized and has way more transitions into it than any other stance: Normally I use a lot of MED and FLEA, but I recall hardly using FLEA at all in the beta. It's 6A+B now; now that A+B is everyone's BreakAttack.
Zas: that timestop thing is cool and doesn't seem to be even 1/10th as OP as I thought it would be. Seems like 2-3 orbs will guarantee a BT B+K and that's about it. Anyone? Good to see 66B is now 6B and has a K follow-up. I saw my absolute-scrub friend pull off 4B CH B:B but I could never do it... different timing?

>Complaints:
*RE slows down the, otherwise Goldilocks-zone, speed of the game too much and is too good for what it does--thank god BA's crush it and they're side-steppable.
*CE's are all so long, it's annoying. The amount of damage they do is unequal to the painfully long amount of time you have to sit through them--and by the release trailers and early tournaments I was already sick of seeing them. Soulcharges are cool, but I hate how they're a get-out-of-jail-free card for 99% of the movelist. I found you wouldn't get knocked back if you were far enough away. The fun thing about soulcalibur was when it was just you and the game--non-stop flow of battle... supers and RE ruin what could be an absolutely 100mph gameflow. SAD, folks; believe me.
*Sophitia and Taki seem almost unpunishable, but I might've just been a scrub.
++wtf, no p2 costumes? On the bright side, character creation has options for every main character's hair; regular and broken--better than V making you have to buy main character costumes for custom. This is something that has me very hopeful for CaS.
*Yoshimitsu's Kangaroo kick seems pointless unless you are in Soulcharge
*Mitsu's bA won't AttackThrow unless you're in SoulCharge, and it lands even on natural hit... not a fan--part of the cool-factor of that move was needing the CH or :Just (in IV).

>Concerns:
*Roster size seems too small (24 total after season pass). I'd be totally fine with 26-28. I pray for a season pass 2. TAKE MY MONEY. Thankfully everyone is quite varied and unique enough in feel. I'd really like to see Setsuka and Rock return. I fear what they may do to Setsuka's moves though--seems simplifying move inputs is a big push this time.
*Movelist seem to have been simplified even further than what V did, but a lot of standardizing has taken place uncompromisingly: Mitsu had his FC 1B,B and 2K,B and k6/66K changed for the first time in the franchise: now FC B,2B and 1K,B, and 99/33K. It kinda makes sense though, now everyone's 2K is a stumpy little low (except Kilik for some reason)
A lot of old staples like Mitsu's lanturn and IV version of stalk shaver/reaper are locked behind RE hit-confirm follow-ups while simultaneously a lot of double input moves are gone. Again, Mitsu had no 44B, 33/99A, and his classic 1B ground catcher got turned into what Wind-hole series 6b3 was--but is now a mix-up with two follow-ups: 1B,B or 1B,AB (super useful and fun. Leads to the longest combo of his I found all beta) and his 4Bis no longer the backtech-step it had been the whole series and it is now Wind-hole 6b9
Sad that Mitsu doesn't have the ability to hold A or B on 1A,B--more options and delays in game are always better. Say what you will about IV, it gave a lot of options in the movesets. Mitsu 3A seems even less useful than it was in V... 'member it starting that sweet 44B~6B,B combo in IV? I 'member.
*Siegfried seems dangerously faster than he should be with stuff like 6B,B B,B and 6A,A/B. Taki's projectile seemed to catch me on any sidestep and seemed to track better towards the end of it and at farthest distance... maybe I was just stepping wrong/early?
*Maxi's 8A+K/B+K stance transition is gone? Couldn't find it for the life of me... hope it returns.
*Is ear slicer still in the game? Yoshi's a:B+K? What happened to Maji Carve fist? Seems easier now, but no just version and the stun isn't long enough to guarantee follow-ups.

It's gonna be a long 19 days, boys... this ate up my entire weekend. Played everybody once. Mained Mitsu, Yoshi, and Maxi. Geralt seems like a less bullshit version of Ezio and he hilariously fits into the game better than Groh--If I didn't know any better I'd wonder if Groh wasn't the guest.

Attachments

• mitsurugi scvi wallpaper.jpg
    mitsurugi scvi wallpaper.jpg
    370.4 KB · Views: 138
Thanks for taking the time giving your opinion, this was very informative! Curious about what you think about the overall game? I think they tried implementing a way to reset everything back to neutral with RE and SC, kinda makes sense since the gameplay can overwhelm you pretty easily... I get why they implemented everything but still I would like to see action no-stop too... Not a deal breaker for me tho.

Game feel: 10/10 best ever. Buttery smooth. All teh characters' new options have been fun to explore. Aside from a few options here or there, I love the new changes 100%.

Sadly, this game wears its lack of budget on its sleeve even harder than V. I love this game, but that love leads to knowing it very well... and easily seeing its flaws compared to its past iterations. Don't get me wrong I can see myself almost exclusively playing V and VI for the majority of my life onward, but it's important to address complaints on the off chance that Bamco looks at forums for feedback (as they did during pre-release).

Gripes:
-Online seems finicky, but my internet is likely the only thing to blame. Training mode stand-by for online matches is awesome, but seems like a sad be-heading of Tekken's pre-match lobby training mode--If project soul can add that to online instead of just a "searching" text prompt that would be proof that they care and will do substantial things to ensure the longevity of the game.
-Libra mode could've been really neat but it's painfully repetitive--I typically skip the text since it's so uselessly unsubstantial 90% of the time and "searching for strength and bounty for bandits" are tiresome... I would've appreciated at least 2 or 3 more generic template encounters if that's how they were gonna be. Movement seems locked behind money; which gets annoying fast and leads to ending your exploration, constantly going back to the dojo just to fight 2 or 3 bandits before the world randomly opens up new locations that will hopefully, MAYBE finally let you go to Europe... Glad they tried, but I'd take a straight weaponmaster mode ripoff at this point.
-The main story was kind of whatever and the voice acting is painful, mainly due to poor timing; it doesn't feel like characters are having a conversation.
+the side stories are pretty great though and I was surprised how much justice Groh's story does for his character
-Customization: seems greater than V but only by a little because of how bare bones the options are-it's pathetic. Is the price for getting every main characters' clothes having virtually no other interesting options? I'd rather have the SCV sales-model at this point, please.
-Too many Seung Minas. I thought it'd be titty ninja, or Ivy, or even talim, but here we are...

Back