Overcoming bad habits.

YariX0083

[08] Mercenary
Hey guys, I'm new when it comes to playing SC competitively I was wondering what do you do when you have bad tendencies/habits.

I made a video for myself and commentated on the matches. I used use Xiba's 6B+K when people were getting up, but they'd just roll out of the way, so I've usually just resorted to his REM K. Usually works, but there are still a lot of casuals online right now that never block low.

I've noticed that I rely on Xiba's AAK a lot (I should probably be using 3B in it's place more). I think the main reason is because that no one punishes it when the block it (again probably because of the amount of casual player right now). But because of this my opponent realizes that I almost always go for the K, so now I mix it up after the AA and if they're close enough I throw them, or if they're further away, I'll go for 4B, 1A, or REM K for the easy low hit.

I was just wondering what the more experienced players have done in the past to overcome these habits.

Honestly, the only way to overcome bad habits is to have people expose them and punish you for them. Once you realize something is a bad habit by learning the hard way, you'll get your shit together pretty quickly. The best way to break bad habits is to play good players and get exposed.

Oh, and if you aren't sure about how to escape something/how they escaped something... ask! Most people are surprisingly helpful if you show genuine interest in improving, instead of saying things like "omg that's so OP way to spam!"

I see. I'm just glad I'm noticing my bad habits. Guess I've just been playing fighting games as a whole long enough that I know what to look for in myself. I just wish I could do that to other players as well. In time I suppose.

The only problems I'm having with the game right now is Natsu, Nightmare, and Voldo. Though I know what I'm doing wrong with Natsu. At first I was always trying to get up as fast as I could, and every time I'd get tagged with her explosion then get air grabbed. Now I know to wait a bit when getting up and see what they do. Most the time their so used to the launch, they'll go straight for the air grab and mess it up.

Nightmare I just find to be a beast if he knocks you down. Seems like one wrong guess and 2/3 your health it gone. I need to hit the lab and get the basics of Nightmare down for myself so I know the gameplan when you knock them down.

As for Voldo, he's just unpredictable when you don't know how to play him or have experience against him. XP

Hey guys, I'm new when it comes to playing SC competitively I was wondering what do you do when you have bad tendencies/habits.

I've noticed that I rely on Xiba's AAK a lot (I should probably be using 3B in it's place more)...

You don't have to finish a combo... try just AA, then trick up with 1A, or 3B, or whatever :)

You don't have to finish a combo... try just AA, then trick up with 1A, or 3B, or whatever :)
Yeah, I've learned you can mix those into there. My first thought was to get a throw in there, but if they'll out of throw range 1A seems like a good option for the low hit. And 3B as well. If it hits, I can add the K follow-ups, and if they block I can hold B for REM and try again :D

Back