Playstation 3 Troubleshooting

AM64

[09] Warrior
I thought it would be helpful to make a PS3 troubleshooting thread for any technical issues involved with Sony's clunky system. Since I just happen to have a broken PS3 myself, I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling:

My PS3 died on me over the Christmas holiday. Here's what happens when I turn my PS3 on:
*The system boots up (power light changes from red to green)
*The screen flickers, then stays black (a signal is going out from the PS3)
*...and that's it. No XMB, no PS3-turning-on noise. I can still eject and insert disks, but they never load, and nothing causes the XMB to load. I can turn my controller on, but holding down the PS button on the controller does nothing.

I've looked around everywhere online, and have tried a few things.
*Holding down the power button when booting up: the PS3 beeps, but no other changes.
*Changing input chord into TV: no change.
*Changing TVs: no change.
*Taking out and removing dust from the hard drive: no change.
*Cursing my fate and praying for divine intervention: sadly, no change.

The only other thing I haven't tried is reformatting the hard drive using a computer, but that would be sacrificing all of my save data. Does anyone have any suggestions to help a player suffering from Soulcalibur withdrawals?

no clue, I was gonna suggest trying a different tv but you did that. BUT I dont see why you can't back your saves up on your computers hard drive.

anyway here is my question

how do I get .avi files to play on my ps3 via flash drive. They play on my 360 no problem but the instant I want my ps3 to play it it doesn't recognize the file.

You'll have to reencode the AVI file so the PS3 recognizes it if you want to go through the trouble of reencoding the file.

Here's my question. Did you just recently switch from a composite/component cable to an HDMI cable or vice versa before the problem occurred?

If you can load and eject disks, then you should be able to get to the system recovery menu by holding down the power button for a real long time. I think it needs to beep twice. If the recovery menu doesn't come up either, then it may need to be looked at.

@Shenrei--No, I hadn't. I've had that problem before, though, when I brought my PS3 over to my friend's house. Holding down the power button fixed that, though.
@Malice--I tried holding the button down, and there was still no change.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I called Sony yesterday and they said I needed to send my PS3 in. I'm going to try connecting the hard drive to my computer first, so here's hoping that works.

Back