Prequel: How to "Play" Hilde

IgnisPhaseOne

[09] Warrior
So, after reading most of the guides here, I realize that people who read this probably already play Hilde. But, for people who are new, I have been teaching some people how to play Hilde, after struggling for quite a while to get everything down.

This guide is NOT for new players to SC4, I'm sure there's plenty of guides for that. Go to the Newbie Silencer.

Here's some tips on getting the basics down as Hilde. Then, go to Fei's guide and learn all the fancy stuff.

If you guys want to order them in how important you think they are, go for it! I'm trying to refine this for all of my friends, but at least for now, I think I'll just write down what I normally tell them here so that this community can comment on it.

===

1. Learn how to charge your moves (basic).
--If you come from other fighting games (that don't have charge moves), or you are trying Hilde and used to other characters, one of the hardest mental blocks to get over is letting a button go to perform a move. It's like being asked to go forward in a bike by pedaling backwards; it'll screw with your head.
--Do a basic attack, and then hold down that button. After a long period of time (I say start with C3s myself), let go! Don't throw in any intermittent attacks (yet), and don't try guarding (yet). AKA, do this in training mode.
--Once you're used to actually charging moves, go into arcade, or bring a friend over, and just play a bunch of matches. Don't expect great results, but just practice using single charge moves. Also, try getting used to holding guard when charging. If your charge moves suddenly whiff and you don't know why, read next.
--That's another thing, make sure that you aren't holding guard when releasing charges. Again, you'll lose them, and have to start charging all over.

2. Learn how to charge during other moves. (basic)
--To try this out, throw an opponent, and then hold B during the throw's animation. You're still charging that move, meaning you'll have a C1/C2 B ready right after the throw! Let it go after you're done with the throw to get used to buffering charge moves during it. The same tactic works for charging A moves, since after the throw starts, you can hold down A as well. You can also charge from other moves, like when you use 4 B+K, hold down B during the move and you'll have a C1 charge ready for when it finishes.

3. Learn how to charge both moves at once. (basic)
--This one is very similar to the one above, but there's also some more advanced uses. The easiest way to do this is to do a A+B, and then simply hold both buttons down. You've now got two C1s on both buttons! For something like 3 B, A, you can hold down B, and then A, and stagger your charges so that you can get a C1 A, and a C2/C3 B.

4. Learn how to fight back while charging. (basic)
--Here's one of the most important parts of Hilde. If you're sitting on B, that means (without macros) you need to use only A, K, and G. As cool as sitting on guard is, you'll eventually get pummeled by mixup, throws, and other nasty business if you can't fight back. Get used to holding onto one button, while using the other two to still attack. The most basic of this is using the kick button; since she can't charge any of these moves, learn some of her kicks and hit that button while not charging anything.

5. Learn how to release two charge moves into combos. (standard)
--A lot of Hilde's combos rely on linking her charge moves together. After a C2 B B, a common move used in combos is C2 A A. Here's where Hilde starts to get more difficult: You need to have a C2 B B, and you need to have started charging an A at the appropriate time so that after C2 B B, releasing A will give you C2. This is mostly practice; it's nearly impossible to explain through text how to do this.

6. Learn how to immediately recharge moves during combos. (advanced)
--This is one that I'm still practicing. During charge moves, you need to start charging the OTHER button so that you can combo into that. Linking two moves is easy (see 4). Linking three or more moves takes practice, as you swing between A and B charges, you need to remember to start charging A while doing a B charge, and vice versa, so that you can start linking three or four charge moves together for the combos that Hilde wins with.

7. Have fun!
--*psst!* Hold Hilde's charges for about 30 seconds for a surprise!

Back