Raphael Tech - or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pokes

Zanaken

[10] Knight
Just wanted to make a dedicated thread for tech and general game-plans. This isn’t exactly a top 10 moves list, but more an idea of what other Raphaels are trying to do.

My general game plan is to land SE B, CH 66B and 6B46BK.

I find the new GB properties of SE B are entirely there to stop people GI’ing as an option select. It has little to no blockstun, and I find every decent player will step after the block. Follow ups on block for Raph seem to be either 46A (stuffs 22A attempts,) or a 4B+K mixup (first 8 hits track very well, will sometimes aGI.) 66B after a blocked SE B is usually doomed to failure, and we no longer have SCV 3A as a tool to keep them honest on block.

SE K will train them to duck more, and prep entry after a launcher into SE will cause a panic reaction for the opponent. A lot of my SE B entries come after a launcher into SE at closer range (66A+B 6B462.)

His grab game is also a bit strange as he no longer needs to grab their body, but rather their essence - which floats about a foot in front of them. SE B 66B+K4 is usually followed by K:K 44B, but if you K:K 2A+B (even outside SC), you can sidestep 2 into backthrow as they get up. This gets silly damage, but is easier near a wall.

AG B on block is also a great chance for a 6B46BK / 66B trap, but this hasn’t seen the lab yet. I’m not sure if it will survive scrutiny, but it works in ranked rather well - if that’s your jam.

Last edited:
AG > K can be done lightning fast that you should be able to hit someone who is turtling out prep now. On larger opponents don't bother going for that just frame, just instantly follow up with 4A+B for some nice damage.

Speaking of AG > K, opponents who like to air control can be trapped with 3B > AG K. Most of the time they'll get up right into it until they smarten up.

If your opponent is step spamming, 4A will also make them smarten up. Does anyone know the best way to follow up on 4A's stun? I'm just using 2A+B but I feel like there's got to be something better.

Speaking of AG > K, opponents who like to air control can be trapped with 3B > AG K. Most of the time they'll get up right into it until they smarten up.

That sounds interesting. I like doing CH 3B -> AG B which leaves them severely stunned on the ground followed by 44 A+B -> 2A+B. This catches the unsuspecting ones quite well especially next to wall.

I haven't tested it yet, but usual Calibur rules are that you can tech after getting slammed down. Something like CH 3B Prep B 44A+B might work better. Juggle = can only roll.

His SCV version was 66A+B BT B 44A+B

It works pretty well next to a wall when UB 44A+B covers three of the tech directions. I find most people just conservatively hold guard though when you delay your input before dread coffin. I get it fairly often online.

Well, online is it's own jamboree, and probably what 99% of people want tips for.

I just find it difficult to believe they made it catch techs - even with ol' Mr. Wall involved.

Well, online is it's own jamboree, and probably what 99% of people want tips for.

I just find it difficult to believe they made it catch techs - even with ol' Mr. Wall involved.
Nvm, forgive my naivety. I'm almost certain 44A+B catches people who tech towards wall in scV, but this doesn't appear to be the case in sc6. Eitherway, I land it occasionally amidst the absurdity of online ranked.

Possible reactions to prep on block are mostly:
2a
step
8wayrun
2B

there are plenty answers to 2A, and 8wayruns.

I currently have this problem.
Given the fact that i still play really defensively (pressure is not something raph players are accustomed to) From both neutral and prep i am losing the risk/reward game to raw damage.

Any suggestion?
If i expect a step and want to fit something more than a 6A what should i do?
Best would be 33B or 99B stuns since they can fit 4A+B, A for lot of damage but they are Tricky to land.

Also what would be the best followup to a successfull SEB

Last edited:
The best follow-up to a SE B is 66B+K AG K:K 44B.
With SC, or close to wall, 2A+B instead of 44B (although you should really be using BBB46BBA+B after SE B with SC.) You can SC after a 2A+B bounce.

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'll add the rest of my findings:

For 1 Player:
SE is good, and the A to B mix-up can really lock down. This is pretty good for the offline content in the game, and 6BB SE A/B spam can cruise you through Legendary difficulty. This is especially true if you react in time to a SE B hitting with an optimal combo follow up, and 66B instead of 6BB for certain ranges. The computer also allows 1Bs for pretty much free if you feel like it, but SE K and most 1Ks are out.

For competitive play:
6B and it's followups are absolutely amazing and helps Raph with excellent lockdown ability. AG B blocked into 6BB, or 6B4:Prep BK is great, and can be mixed up with AG AB/K pretty well.

His lethal hits are pretty great, and I seem to land 46B the most, but 46K never seems to do much for me. Maybe it has a use in stopping strings involving stepable kicks? His 46 series can be used after ducking, so you can use 46A as a duck punish against Sig and NM.

I still don't really know how to follow up on RE hits to be honest, and I mostly just CE or 33B.

WR BB is godlike. I feel like there are times where I miss the 46 input, or the KK:B input, and it's still OK, because this move is just that good. AG or Prep from this can be equally devastating. WR BB46BB:B 2A+B is not a combo, but it does like to pretend it is sometimes. If you're in SC one of those times - you could be in for a lot of damage.

I don't see the use of AG K:K outside of combos.

6BB is, in my opinion, generally better than 6B, even with the 46BK followup. If you're exploring other Prep options, then you might as well take the extra damage unless you can 6B46B(B) on command like a shiny god. 6B4AB works pretty well though, because it gives them less time to react to what is otherwise his weakest AG option.

For Metaplay:
Everyone is playing Red Dead Redemption...

Last edited:
but 46K never seems to do much for me. Maybe it has a use in stopping strings involving stepable kicks

The main use I've found with that move is for punishing some of Nightmare's moves - duck the second hit of 4KK and punish with 46K. Duck under a predictable NSS K and punish with 46K. Fun fact - GS A is considered a kick, so if you duck it, you have to 46K instead of 46A. There's definitely way more situations where you can use this, but I haven't taken the time to lab punishment against most characters yet.

I’m getting a fair amount of love from his standard K. It tracks step pretty well and is a great way of keeping people honest during more adrenaline fuelled jab-fests. 1K into 44K still stuffs panic 2A’s pretty well too.

Finally using his Prep RE, including RE cancel into AG/Prep. It seems good, but I find myself getting jabbed out of Prep pretty fast. It seems that panic jabs ruin the whole thing, so the relative safety of it’s Prep entry is overshadowed by faster 6B strings.

One thing I finally got down is Prep B+K. Really effective after a whiffed 66B. I miss his BT B+K from SCV more than any other move, and use his B+K aGI accidentally a LOT when they’re behind me. You won’t get much more than a 2B/2K out of a successful Prep B+K, but it really does stun opponent players (in real life that is,) when it hits.

I had a hilarious match the other night where the opponent kept trying to A,A me out of Prep. They kept eatting SE B. I love the built in dodge. I'll look into incorporating more Prep B+K.

The main use I've found with that move is for punishing some of Nightmare's moves - duck the second hit of 4KK and punish with 46K. Duck under a predictable NSS K and punish with 46K. Fun fact - GS A is considered a kick, so if you duck it, you have to 46K instead of 46A. There's definitely way more situations where you can use this, but I haven't taken the time to lab punishment against most characters yet.

I'm pretty sure the main intended use for the 46 lethal hits is actually after a dodge during RE.
Simply dodge one of the three attack button and immediately use the corresponding lethal

They are way too ankward and specific to use on the fly.
Which doesn't mean you can't use them but it's gonna be some hard reads

I had a hilarious match the other night where the opponent kept trying to A,A me out of Prep. They kept eatting SE B. I love the built in dodge. I'll look into incorporating more Prep B+K.

They can still block SEB in time i guess.
Prep has lot of answers but it also needs raph knowledge to understand wich option is almost 100% working.
I lost the count of how many times i CH with prep BBB after a blocked 66B+K (adv on block negates step).

Question:
Not that i use prep a lot on block but...
I saw that after prepA(B) (-2) people have issues stepping while they easily succeed after prep B(B) (-4).
Given the fact that 66(B+K)B cannot be stepped being at +2.

Can you confirm if -2 preps can be stepped or not?

Back