Resonance of Fate

Destinizish

Now Sleep Forever
How many people are getting/have gotten this?

I just picked up my copy, and am currently in the process of recording and uploading a playthrough. So far, it's been awesome.

I'll leave you with the intro cinematic, because that's all that's really been processed fully of my recordings.

[youtube= Resonance of Fate]V-irrC3iuSo[/youtube]

I was thinking about getting that because there was a special on Amazon for it.

I heard GameInformer gave it a 6.5 out of 10. Of course GI hasn't exactly shown themselves to know what they are talking about in the past so I wouldn't take it for any indication of whether this game is any good.

Hmm, I'd like to see what they complain about in that review. Because honestly, it's been doing pretty decent amongst critics. I'm really liking it so far.

[youtube= Resonance of Fate]L_FG7_Ldha0[/youtube]

Here's a video with a bit of gameplay, now that it's processed a bit.

Edit: Read their complaints.

Pretty much, they don't like that it has a steep learning curve, that it has a somewhat "wacky" sense of humor. (The game is often making fun of stuff through satire. IE: It makes fun of lack of breast physics in games with a character who has absolutely none. They make fun of otakus with a character who's constantly talking in a geeky voice, drawing comics and dressing up in ridiculous stuff.) Apparently they didn't understand that. They also slam it for "required grinding" which is somewhat silly. The only time you need to grind is for money, and you can really get that by going through battles well. (Think valkyrie profile and crystals, same kind of stuff here)

I went and bought this game today and am quite surprised how good it actually is, id describe it as a mix of Final Fantasy and Bayonetta lol.

But yeah it's hella fun and im only level 5 at the moment. =]

If you're into fast paced stories, this game isn't for you really. The story starts at a pace you'd expect it to for a mercenary group that's doing odd-jobs. It kicks in around chapter 9. (There are more chapters than FFXIII though. :P) Also, the battle system is based more around strategy and how well you know each enemy than it is in most JRPGs.

As far as how I'd rate it, probably an 8.5 or 9/10. It's a great game, but not perfect.

Finally started playing RoF. I really like it, but it can be kinda confusing sometimes:

When I'm in battle, I'm not sure if I should be going for a gauge break, or a smack down, or bonus hits or what? Also, I'm on CH2 and I don't think I've used a single item yet. Finally, I only been using the guns that the characters started with... should I start switching it up? Thanks for the help!

Finally started playing RoF. I really like it, but it can be kinda confusing sometimes:

When I'm in battle, I'm not sure if I should be going for a gauge break, or a smack down, or bonus hits or what? Also, I'm on CH2 and I don't think I've used a single item yet. Finally, I only been using the guns that the characters started with... should I start switching it up? Thanks for the help!

What you want to do is Gauge Break as much as possible, as these fill back your spent pips (those little orange things that turn to grey after a Hero attack). The best way to do this is to start with a character that wields Machine Guns and drain armor as much as possible on his/her first Hero attack then finish off the enemy(ies). Getting launchers and then trying for the bonus attack is better than smackdowns unless you're farming for Hexes, then at which case go for smackdowns instead since they tend to drop Hexes more often with those.

Do switch weapons up, as your base level is directly tied to your TOTAL levels of guns (i.e: having 5 handguns + 6 machine guns + 3 items will get you a level 17 character) but don't overdo it early on because enemies level up alongside you and become harder to fight. What you want is to get around level 10 on the weapon you want to use for that character then give them a few more levels through that for weight/hp boost so they can hopefully dual wield as soon as you get enough money to buy new weapons/get materials to make new ones.

You'll eventually start using items/grenades a lot around chapter 6, since you start getting element specific grenades and elemental attacks from enemies by then. So save up until around there.

Gauge Breaks don't refill your Hero Gauge, but they do become increasingly important later on.

Basically, Gauge or HP Breaks break up the health bar of an enemy. When you deplete one section of that bar, you get a Hero Bezel (icon) back. You can also get Hero Bezels by breaking the enemy's body parts/armor. It get substantially easier later in the game as you find more Bezel Shards to avoid Condition Criticals.

Your general strategy in the early parts of the game is to soften up your targets with Machine Guns (which deal Scratch Damage) and then fire off your Handguns to convert that damage into permanent damage and kill enemies this way. This is the basic strategy for nearly all fights up until you start dealing with some bosses (and late game).

As for Bonus Shots and Smackdowns, these are mostly design to reward you with extra chips. Chips come in two colors, Gold and Silver. They will be one of your prime means of earning money throughout the game. So doing Bonus Shots and Smackdowns can be useful. The main purpose of the Smackdown is that it also damages all body/armor parts and can even destroy them (with low health), when you destroy a body part like this you increase the chances of the body part dropping an item. Though typical Smackdowns will yield chips, they won't yield nearly as many as Bonus Shot can do. So make sure you use the opportunity to get Bonus Shots off a enemy.

Though the game doesn't mention this, it's recommended that you do Smackdowns with hand guns and bonus shots with machine guns. The reason being is that Smackdown damage doesn't convert unless it comes from a handgun, while Machines have a better firing rate to push out more chips during Bonus Shots.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm actually doing a bit of level grinding ATM which brings up a new problem:

How do you know if you hitting the main body? the little green bars represent body parts correct? So, how do I know for sure if I'm actually hitting the main body? I really think they should have made a little flag or icon pop up if your actually hitting the main body.

destinizish I've been watching your playthrough and I need to know: How are you at such a high lvl already? My HGs and MGs are only at Lvl 5-6... Is there a trick to lvling quuickly?

I totally missed this, but I figure I should respond-

Swap guns around. Your level is equal to all of them combined.

Also: You know you're hitting the main body if the top green bar in the upper left goes down. The one on the bottom represents all armor parts combined. You break off pieces of armor by lowering their health bars, which only appear around the enemy.

Back