Rusted's Ringers, Gallery I: SoulCalibur Cast Designs

One word one sentence 3p challenge... Here you go :
Wizard-man
2B Raider
I could go on but let's see what you make of those. Try to capture the theme and not respect the name "a la lettre", venture outside the box as you love too and explore new venues to add some element of suprise...
Btw in french you'd say : Maison du Roi, i like her, needs more details, check out my French Amie or Mousquetaire Taki if you need ideas...or like 🥖 and 🥐
Challenge.....accepted! It may be a few days before I get something out though.

War Mage Azwel:

This Azwel 2P is meant to somewhat emulate the style one sees for mages in more modern/pop fantasy works. I'm curious to hear input on the one major variance of the two versions here: I added some white script-looking patterning to one hakama pant leg in order to alter the colour balance and add some detail, but though I like the effect, I think the original version actually looks much cleaner.

WarMage02.jpg
WarMage03.jpg
WarMage04.jpgWarMage05.jpgWarMage06.jpgWarMage09.jpgWarMage07.jpgWarMage10.jpgWarMage11.jpgWarMage13.jpgWarMage19.jpgWarMage14.jpgWarMage15.jpgWarMage17.jpgWarMage20.jpgWarMage21.jpgWarMage08.jpgWarMage18.jpgWarMage31.jpgWarMage22.jpgWarMage24.jpgWarMage27.jpgWarMage26.jpgWarMage29.jpgWarMage28.jpgWarMage32.jpg

Last edited:
I like that costume for Azwel a lot! He looks almost like an evil magician, which definitely matches the "war mage" theme. Also the white hair makes me think of Edge Master, almost like this incarnation of Azwel could be some sort of foil to him, given that Edge Master knows how to use a variety of weapons, and Azwel can summon a variety of weapons with his gauntlets. Great work!👍

Dark Interloper Azwel:

And another in my recent series of hybrid 2P/reference character creations. Does anyone recognize who Azwel is cosplaying as?

Gazwel05.jpg
Gazwel02.jpgGazwel03.jpgGazwel04.jpgGazwel06.jpgGazwel07.jpgGazwel08.jpgGazwel09.jpg

Colour variants and alternate concept reworks going up for a number of past entries in this thread, for those interested.

I don't have the answer to the cosplay thing, but those mages are legit. I think i never saw a bald Az, suits him azwell :)
I wonder if there are cool sticker details on the cape tho (no back shot) ?
Also, i like the planetoid / weapon / artefact on the first one, adds some mystery to it.
Maybe the color scheme is a bit too uniform for their own good...

Azwel in dark color with this costume seems to me the most suitable. I had created some characters in uniform color and I am always a little frustrated with the result because I like to use the optimal potential of the tools at my disposal. But, I like that dark metallic look on your magician ... your choice was limited if you used this costume ... you can optionally put a little touch of gold or a gray to soften the dark side of azwell

I don't have the answer to the cosplay thing, but those mages are legit. I think i never saw a bald Az, suits him azwell :)
I wonder if there are cool sticker details on the cape tho (no back shot) ?
Also, i like the planetoid / weapon / artefact on the first one, adds some mystery to it.
Maybe the color scheme is a bit too uniform for their own good...
Azwel in dark color with this costume seems to me the most suitable. I had created some characters in uniform color and I am always a little frustrated with the result because I like to use the optimal potential of the tools at my disposal. But, I like that dark metallic look on your magician ... your choice was limited if you used this costume ... you can optionally put a little touch of gold or a gray to soften the dark side of azwell
Thanks guys--I'm glad these mage/wizard concepts are a hit: the irony is that in the terms of actual SoulCalibur mechanics, I have become a staunch advocate for not adding any more hocus-pocus anime spellcasters to the game and wish they would return to the classic aesthetics of the series mostly being predicated in traditional real-world weapons--and yet I've really enjoyed creating these CaS designs. Four down, five to go! By the way, the most recent addition can be found here: it might have gotten a little overshadowed by the fact that I bumped the thread to the next page with another character immediately afterwards. I'm pretty happy with the Necromancer: I haven't settled on a final design just yet, but I have a handful of good options to decide from with regard to various aspects. If you take a look, be sure to let me know what you think about which of the face variants you think is most menacing, visually realistic, and/or appropriate to the concept. That post also includes a colour variant of the recent lizard shaman which is the most direct response to Vil's original 'Wizardman' challenge.

Getting back to the mages here, I'm glad that Terran Parasite / Dark Interloper Azwel is particularly a hit. Yes, I do recognize that despite the overall foreboding feel of the design, he lacks depth and detail in many respects: this is unfortunately a quality that results from his being a hyrbrid design meant to reference another character: unfortunately, fidelity with that design would be lost if I interrupted his rather limited colour scheme. If anybody guesses the character he is meant to reference and you see the original design of the outfit of sad character, you will understand why I approached it as I did, even though it runs counter to my inclination to go heavy on normalizing little details in my designs.

Lastly, here's a colour variant of War mage Azwel you guys may enjoy if you liked the first one. I think it doesn't quite catch the concept as well (and is based in a more limited colour space), but I do like it as an alternate on the general concept. I'm glad you like his little augmentary artifact, Vil: I thought that really tied together the kind of contemporary pop-fantasy aesthetic he was meant to represent among the wizard crew. It also synergizes with Azwel's animations really well, particularly if you take away his weapons: in some of those pictures it really looks like he is aiming the little device or that it is acting in concert with him in some fashion. I think it really completes the design.

WarMageArid01.jpgWarMageArid02.jpgWarMageArid03.jpgWarMageArid04.jpgWarMageArid05.jpgWarMageArid06.jpgWarMageArid07.jpgWarMageArid08.jpgWarMageArid09.jpgWarMageArid10.jpgWarMageArid11.jpgWarMageArid12.jpgWarMageArid13.jpgWarMageArid15.jpg

hello, I prefer the first war azwel mage because its charisma, its more mysterious aspect is obviously more displayed than your last version. The color is more flattering in my opinion ... The problem inherent in this costume, especially for the pants is the use of colors, which limits us atrociously in our choices ... Your first version emphasizes more the contrasts advantageously by your colors (blue; white hair ...) The artifact is the strong point of this character and reinforces his magician side ... Your second version seems a little sad to me by its uniformity of colors ... But I reassure you, I am often confrnté with this recurring problem in the final visual aspect. So for me and in my personal opinion, I prefer the original. You can maybe use stickers on the foot protection if necessary ...

Setsuka:

Blood on the High Seas:

My first SCVI Setsuka. :) I think the name and aesthetic pretty much tell the story here, so I won't belabour with a description, aye? Unfortinately this lot of pictures isn't super high resolution--which is a pity, because there's some very nice, subtle texture work on the attire, if I do say so myself, and much of it is lost in the muddy colours and low detail of these images. I'll have to replace them asap, but in the meantime, I think the broadsrokes of the design come through enough; I just really like how the outfit gelled with the weapon and postures on this one. Feedback on the best hair variation would be particularly welcome: it's difficult to see with these images, but the first version immediately bellow has dark brunette hair into which I have woven some ExEg to give the impression of beads and braids. But I think the Blonde/red variations might work better, even so. Thoughts?

HiC12.jpg
HiC06.jpg
HiC07.jpg
HiC11.jpg

HiC21.jpg
HiC23.jpg
HiC12.jpgHiC13.jpgHiC14.jpgHiC15.jpgHiC16.jpgHiC17.jpgHiC18.jpgHiC19.jpgHiC20.jpgHiC01.jpgHiC02.jpgHiC03.jpgHiC04.jpgHiC05.jpgHiC08.jpgHiC09.jpgHiC10.jpgHiC20.jpgHiC22.jpg

I really like the War Mage Azwel! It is super slick thematically, and the little follower thing is very cool. Nice one!
Thanks HC--appreciate it! He's one of those cases where I just started experimenting with the head and then everything else just fell into place all the way down. I'm pleased with how all the elements came together on this one, down to little details like the fact that the stole seems to loop into the same clasp that affixes the strategists cape, the general thematic tightness, and the colour space blend. It's definitely one of my favourite things that I've done with a base roster model to date. I kind of wish I could leverage a pair of proper boots in there--I think they would suit better than the geta. But other than that, I'm pretty happy with every element. :)

Some slightly updated/polished versions of some XP designs:

Arcane Weaver Tira:

Witchy V2 (25).jpg
Witchy V2 (20).jpg

Witchy V2 (1).jpgWitchy V2 (2).jpgWitchy V2 (3).jpgWitchy V2 (4).jpgWitchy V2 (5).jpgWitchy V2 (6).jpgWitchy V2 (7).jpgWitchy V2 (8).jpgWitchy V2 (9).jpgWitchy V2 (10).jpgWitchy V2 (11).jpgWitchy V2 (12).jpgWitchy V2 (13).jpgWitchy V2 (14).jpgWitchy V2 (15).jpgWitchy V2 (16).jpgWitchy V2 (17).jpgWitchy V2 (18).jpgWitchy V2 (19).jpgWitchy V2 (21).jpgWitchy V2 (22).jpgWitchy V2 (23).jpgWitchy V2 (24).jpgWitchy V2 (26).jpgWitchy V2 (27).jpg

Zasalamel'C:

Zasalamel'c V2 (4).jpg

Zasalamel'c V2 (1).jpg

Zasalamel'c V2 (2).jpgZasalamel'c V2 (5).jpgZasalamel'c V2 (6).jpg

Haohcules:
...got a more substantial beard, though I'm not certain it truly improves his design.

Haohcules V2 (3).jpg

Haohcules V2 (11).jpg

Haohcules V2 (1).jpgHaohcules V2 (2).jpgHaohcules V2 (4).jpgHaohcules V2 (6).jpgHaohcules V2 (7).jpgHaohcules V2 (8).jpgHaohcules V2 (9).jpgHaohcules V2 (10).jpgHaohcules V2 (12).jpgHaohcules V2 (13).jpgHaohcules V2 (14).jpgHaohcules V2 (15).jpgHaohcules V2 (16).jpgHaohcules V2 (5).jpg

Blood on the High Seas Setsuka:

Not an update, but a look at the back design of the Mourning Robes haori, since I neglected to include it when initially presenting her.

RedTide.jpg

Last edited:
I love the MONSTERY artefact of Arcane. Zasalamel is Teal'c's portrayal and seems as ruthless as the original. Haohcules with this facies, I would have gone for a Viking version ... in my opinion.

I love the MONSTERY artefact of Arcane. Zasalamel is Teal'c's portrayal and seems as ruthless as the original. Haohcules with this facies, I would have gone for a Viking version ... in my opinion.
You mean, as in a handlebar mustache in terms of the reinforced beard, rather than a goatee?

Back