Rusted's Ringers, Gallery II: Non-SoulCalibur Reference Designs

Zasalamel'C:

I decided to do a second hyrbid design. Zasa, cree!

Prime09.jpg

Prime01.jpgPrime02.jpgPrime03.jpgPrime04.jpgPrime05.jpgPrime06.jpgPrime07.jpgPrime08.jpg

look like you use Nakoruru's bird as a extra wings for your Magic God CAS! you really nailed it, Rusted Blade!
Thank you, T.R.! :) Yes, I've been getting some mileage out of that bird to complete a couple of designs that needed an extra pair of wings or two; being an object, the bird offers far more versatility on angle and size, as well as the added benefits that it does not require a race commitment to 'Lost Soul (winged)' or can be used in conjunction with, and also does not require the slots of the spare shoulder wings or the archangel armor (and for that matter, the sometimes jarring disconnect of requiring the breastplate which doesn't work with the average design).

n other words, Mamahaha is pretty much all upside for those looking to add multiple pairs of wings or just want some flexibility with where they go. The only real complication is that you have to do a lot of tinkering if you want to gain the advantage of the wings while still making your design seamless when viewed from behind. I neglected to show that above, so I'll have to upload some more photos; it took a fair bit of maneuvering to get all of the sets of wings in at angles that as closely as possible approximated the curves of the wings in the original reference works, while still leaving the parts of the bird that needed to stay unviewable inside the character model.

Thankfully the bat wings are one of those dual-objects that fold within along central axis when you adjust the angle parameter (as opposed to the bird, which is one object that rotates uniformly along the axis), which allowed me to not just better approximate the appropriate angle and place them even lower down the back where they are supposed to be, but also left more room for the lower pair of feathered wings (Mamahaha), to represent the curves of the character 'Magic God' is based on.

Dane-ish:

The colours are not really where they need to be on this one just yet (man I really don't understand why the placement of patterns has to be so finicky and bound to such a convoluted UI in the most recent editor...) but otherwise I really like how this one has started to shape up already. Destiny is all!

DaneLaw14.jpg

DaneLaw02.jpgDaneLaw06.jpgDaneLaw07.jpgDaneLaw08.jpgDaneLaw09.jpgDaneLaw10.jpgDaneLaw11.jpgDaneLaw12.jpgDaneLaw16.jpgDaneLaw18.jpg

Hook, Line, and Trickster:

I guess I'm on a bit of folk and culture hero kick now, as i have two more to present (this and the next). Thanks to a little signal boosting from pop culture, I'm pretty sure this first guy will be recognized at least by some. Those rare cases where you have most of what you need to achieve the basic vision you had at the start are so nice--all the more so for being so rare when it comes to this editor. Of course it helps that, outfit wise, there were so few moving parts here, and a weapon that really suited this mythological figure. The tattoos aren't quite where they need to be in many respects, but as jury-rigged solutions to such problems go, I'm satisfied.

Hookie01.jpg

Hookie07.jpg

Hookie02.jpgHookie03.jpgHookie04.jpgHookie05.jpgHookie06.jpgHookie08.jpgHookie09.jpgHookie10.jpgHookie11.jpgHookie12.jpgHookie13.jpgHookie14.jpgHookie15.jpgHookie16.jpgHookie17.jpgHookie18.jpgHookie19.jpgHookie20.jpgHookie21.jpg

Bao Longtu:

More a folk hero than a demigod or myth like some of the others in this series. This one does need some tinkering on the patterns; unfortunately that crescent moon can't be made small enough to work with this design and may just need to go. A pity though, since all of the other classic elements are in place nicely.

Bao01.jpg

Bao03.jpgBao02.jpgBao04.jpgBao05.jpgBao06.jpg

Last edited:
Pa'u:

More of a proof of concept/placeholder, using some rough patterns to sketch out elements of the garb that should be represented by an object. Still, I got the base model much closer than I was expecting. I mean, like, pretty much precisely there, minus a little extra work with the facial patterns.

Pa'u02.jpg

Pa'u01.jpgPa'u03.jpgPa'u04.jpg

Last edited:
All of those are awsome how did you get clothes on the lizard. Also needle. Who has a needle unless it’s dlc 😀

All of those are awsome
Thank you! :)
how did you get clothes on the lizard.
There is a very small selection of attire that can be applied to the lizard people: I just did my best to garb him in the weightiest and most appropriate items I could find from that selection. In truth, I'd love it if the lizard folk got some proper armour--as a general matter, though it would certainly be especially useful for this reference piece as well. I think we probably should be getting at least a little bit in that area if/when we see Lizardman/Aeon in Season Three. Of course, if I was really going for strongest possible fidelity to the inspiring design in this case, I'd have given him a sword and shield style, but (aside from the fact that neither Sophitia nor Cassandra's quality of movement would really fit him), that organic scythe just looked too fitting to the overall design and really gives him a next level sense of ferocity, I think--plus Zasalemel's style really gives flourish to the design.

Also needle. Who has a needle unless it’s dlc 😀
Thanks! I had to riff a little there on the theme I was going for. As soon as Setsuka is released, 'Seamstress' will be getting a parasol, befitting her inspiration. Unfortunately the weapon that would really tie her together perfectly is just never going to happen, as it is so stylized/unique to the original character.

Last edited:
Use of the new dlc ExEq for face scarf/mask : clever 😎
Zelda like 3 lives / hearts : so cute and original ❤❤❤
Ghosts and goblins flying gargoyles : perfect 👍

Ghosts and goblins flying gargoyles : perfect 👍
Thank you!! I wondered if anyone would ever recognize the Red Aramar--I suppose I should not be surprised that if anyone would, it would be you! (nous sommes clarement tous les deux de cette generation).

Zelda like 3 lives / hearts : so cute and original ❤❤❤
Yeah, I thought I was pretty clever with those hearts; if you look through the images (which are meant to replicated a variety of the various Links throughout the franchise, but especially the NES, SNES, and N64 versions), you will find that some of them even have half-depleted hearts. :)

Use of the new dlc ExEq for face scarf/mask : clever 😎
I am getting so much use out of that object: seriously, I think I've used it in like six of the ten designs I have made since it was released? I actually got a little lazy on that one: from certain angles it looks a little awkward, but it was definitely the best option for getting that shrouded look that was demanded here.

Thank you!! I wondered if anyone would ever recognize the Red Aramar--I suppose I should not be surprised that if anyone would, it would be you! (nous sommes clarement tous les deux de cette generation).
oh oui generation jeux d'arcade coin-op ... Due to my photographic memory I was a revered laserdisc dragon's lair 2 pro, knew it by heart and had a crowd of bystanders...
My fave heroic fantasy arcade game was black tiger, also could 1 life no damage it in my youth hehe braggin' rights

Yeah, I thought I was pretty clever with those hearts; if you look through the images (which are meant to replicated a variety of the various Links throughout the franchise, but especially the NES, SNES, and N64 versions), you will find that some of them even have half-depleted hearts. :)
Oh yeah excellent didn't notice at first

I am getting so much use out of that object: seriously, I think I've used it in like six of the ten designs I have made since it was released? I actually got a little lazy on that one: from certain angles it looks a little awkward, but it was definitely the best option for getting that shrouded look that was demanded here.
I am yet to use it but the defender's tiara gosh i love it haha 👸

j'aime bien que tu saupoudres tes reponses de bribes de francais...quelques fautes mais c'est tout a fait comprehensible mon cher...bravo !

oh oui generation jeux d'arcade coin-op ... Due to my photographic memory I was a revered laserdisc dragon's lair 2 pro, knew it by heart and had a crowd of bystanders...
My fave heroic fantasy arcade game was black tiger, also could 1 life no damage it in my youth hehe braggin' rights

Oh yeah excellent didn't notice at first

I am yet to use it but the defender's tiara gosh i love it haha 👸

j'aime bien que tu saupoudres tes reponses de bribes de francais...quelques fautes mais c'est tout a fait comprehensible mon cher...bravo !
Ah, merci beacoup--c'est bon a entendre; j'essaie de rester simple, donc je ne tombrai pas trop sur mon visage. ....je dis comme j'utilise un idiome qui je ne sais pas fonctionner en francais... ;) Et, je suis juste content que nous ne parlons pas en temps reel, sinon mes competences seraient encore plus mediocres.

Etait-ce la version 3D de Dragon's Lair!?

Dragon's lair 2 the laserdisc version from don bluth...the alice in wonderland part with beethoven 9th symphony is cult !

Dragon's lair 2 the laserdisc version from don bluth...the alice in wonderland part with beethoven 9th symphony is cult !
Ok, so you would know if anyone: am I completely mad, or at what one time was there an arcade Dragon's Lair game in the very early nineties that was full 3D projection? By which I don't mean the game was played in three dimensions (I know there was a game for consoles literally called Dargon's Lair 3D in the earlier noughts, but that's not what I'm talking about) but rather that this game was rendered as a 3D hologram that more or less played like the original game? I have a distinct memory of playing just such a version of the game.

Thing is, I can find no reference anywhere to this game, so I wonder if maybe I haven't just conflated my memories of Dragon's Lair 2 with Time Traveler (a definite hologram game made by the same team as produced Dragon's Lair and with a similar format); given it has been about 35 years or so since I've played either game, it's entirely possible! But I'd swear i remember specifically navigating Dirk through hazards via one of those early dome-looking hologram displays.

Last edited:
Back