Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 (Yakuza 3)

TetsuyaHikari

[09] Warrior
I didn't see a thread for the third installment of Ryu Ga Gotoku scheduled to come out in Spring of 2009, so I figured I would do the honor of creating it. For those of you that have been following the series so far, some of the additions in Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 will be certainly welcomed and you will want it more than ever! Okay, so for starters, I'll explain the plot of this installment.

The year is 2009, so it takes places two years after the events of Ryu Ga Gotoku 2. Haruka (who is now 12 years old..not really important information, but just throwing it out there, lol) and Kazuma are managing a kindergarten in Okinawa (this is certainly a huge change from the atmosphere we are used to seeing).

However, after a few disputes over a piece of land and shooting incidents, Kazuma is dragged back into the underworld of Japan once more.

Now, as for what is being added to the game. Oh man..you're going to love this. Alright, let's see..for starters, there will be more mini-games available to play (some examples: golf and bowling) which is just awesome.

Plus, the game will also be featuring a lot of real-life sponsors and a ton more shops in the streets to make it feel even more like Japan, adding to the lifelike feel of the atmosphere. Also, apparently..more people are going to be added (MORE?!) with improved actions and A.I. which is very interesting. Oh, and there will now be more cabs available as well!

Not only that, but..here comes the best part (IMO). The camera can be adjusted now! Oh, and the download time will practically be non-existent (I'm not sure if this means "download time" as in like..MGS4..or maybe this is actually just referring to loading time).

Ya know, the more I play this series..the more I see what the potential could have been for a Shenmue III. I guess, fact of the matter is..they have decided to go in this direction instead. With all these mini-games, more people, shops, etc. it really is just a more modern Shenmue at this point though, lol.

To be perfectly honest though, I have no problem whatsoever with SEGA choosing to work on this series though. Sure, I would like to see Shenmue III as much as the next guy, but if this is as close as we'll ever get to it, I will be perfectly satisfied with this. Oh, and just a quick note before posting some screenshots and the trailer.

Apparently, this is aiming to be the best game in Japan. What do you guys think about that? I certainly think it has the potential to be one OF the best games. I really do believe it can be a milestone for PS3 gaming as a whole and help other developers look up to it as inspiration for ideas on how to improve their own games and such.

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

732562-haruka001_super.jpg

732561-daigo001_super.jpg

735040-ryu3_09_super.jpg

732565-kiryu001_super.jpg

And last, but not least, a trailer:

A couple of more things before I go though. It's nice to see that he is still in the game though..as I saw in another screenshot (I'll give you a clue..."Kiryu-chaaaan"..oh..and he wears an eyepatch :P). Also, if you have a Japanese PSN account, there was also a video uploaded there this week that you can download and watch.

Ryu Ga Gotoku fans..rejoice!

Edit: Here's the official website - Ryu Ga Gotoku 3

I also just noticed after looking through some screenshots on the main site that this really is becoming more and more like Shenmue. I see we are getting more button scenes now. Oh, and by the way..if you still haven't watched the teaser from the PSN Store, DO SO!

I think I shat a brick after watching it..lol. It looks soooooo fucking epic. I know I wanted it even before seeing the video, but now I'm practically drooling for it. I just hope I don't die of dehydration before Spring of '09 -_-

EDIT2: Silly me, I forgot to add scans, lol.

72601420081113_193526_0_big.jpg

72601420081113_193527_1_big.jpg

EDIT3: Let's also not forget to quote Famitsu on the battle system changes made in Ryu Ga Gotoku 3.

"Previously, Sega has revealed that game's battle system will be seamless. Different from past entries in the series, you won't have to wait one bit for battle to start. Famitsu confirms that the game switches right into battle mode as you're walking down the street.

Accompanying the smoother switch to battle is a new type of fighting. Yakuza 3 will feature an all new "chase battle" system. When speaking with foes on the street, they may decide to run away. You'll then be tasked with chasing your fleeing rival. To do this successfully, you need to make sure and not lose sight of the enemy, either visually or on the mini map that's displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen. While running, you'll have to deal with obstacles, leaping over trash cans to keep apace.

Details are scarce at the moment, but the game displays a couple of mysterious gauges during these sequences. One appears to indicate the distance between you and your rival, while the other may show your stamina.

In addition to your rivals running away, you'll also find yourself with the option to flee.

All other areas of the standard battle system appear to be seeing improvements for Yakuza 3. The game has more advanced "heat action" special attacks, including some that make use of nunchaku, apparently an Okinawan specialty (the game takes place partially in Okinawa, in case you haven't been paying attention to the updates). You'll also find a more realistic battle environment, with bystanders stopping or fleeing and your rival's gang members approaching the fight, grabbing Kiryu from behind, and joining in.

Also new for Yakuza 3 is a "tag tournament mode" for the game's fighting arena, an area that lets you face off against powerful enemies. As the name suggests, this mode has Kiryu teaming up with a tag partner for the fight. The two make use of cooperative heat action moves
."

EDIT4: Decided to add the 20 minute extended presentation clip from Tokyo Game Show '08 for those interested in seeing it. Why must it look so awesome?!

Gametrailers.com - Yakuza 3 - TGS 08: Extended Presentation (Cam) HD

EDIT5: Fixed screenshots and scans

EDIT6: Forgot to add an interesting feature about the game in my post. Apparently, there's supposed to be a day and night cycle in the game as well. I think the only thing that could make this even more epic than it already is would be a weather system. How awesome would it be if you were running down the street and it started drizzling, then raining a little harder, and finally cleared up about 20 minutes later?

They could even add a fatigue system as well which would make you get sick if you stay out in the rain for too long, so you could just go inside a building and wait for a little bit while while you play some minigames or something (if the building has minigames in it, that is :P)

EDIT7: Release date along with pricing has finally been released! Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 will release on February 26, 2009 for 7,980 yen ($69 or so).

EDIT8: Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is now available for pre-order on www.play-asia.com for $78.90 (luckily this game is worth every penny of that, but damn that's still expensive..). You can pre-order it by visiting this link to their site: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-77-1-49-en-15-Ryu+ga+Gotoku-70-35e3-43-99.html

EDIT9: Here is the boxart for the game. Pretty epic if I do say so myself.
RyugaGotoku3boxart.jpg

EDIT10: Battle information has been added to main website: http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/three/index.html (read below in topic for more details)

Wait, hasn't Ryu Ga Gotoku already been released? It took place in ancient Japan, right?

I'm planning on getting this new one, but I still have to get the second one. I've been putting it off and forgetting. The one improvement I really want is to the combat system. A lot of the time in the first one, you'd be swinging at air.

Ahhh..that's one thing that upset me about the release of Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan!. So many review companies and magazines titled that as, "Yakuza 3" or "Ryu Ga Gotoku 3" when it had no sort of relation at all with the previous installments. It makes me so mad >.<

No no..Kenzan! was just set in the Edo time period, IIRC, and Kazuma takes on the role of Miyamoto Musashi. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the original series, so nothing should be considered canon in that game. Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is what the fans have really been waiting for though.

Don't get me wrong, I love Feudal Japan stuff, but eh..I just like the Ryu Ga Gotoku series much more in the modern day because it makes more sense and it's more fun, I believe. So, contrary to belief, Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! was not "3".

I just can't believe so many companies were fooling people into thinking it was, even though it had nothing to do with the original series, lol. Oh well. The fans knew the truth! Bring on Ryu Ga Gotoku 3!!

Ahhh..that's one thing that upset me about the release of Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan!. So many review companies and magazines titled that as, "Yakuza 3" or "Ryu Ga Gotoku 3" when it had no sort of relation at all with the previous installments. It makes me so mad >.<

No no..Kenzan! was just set in the Edo time period, IIRC, and Kazuma takes on the role of Miyamoto Musashi. It has absolutely nothing at all to do with the original series, so nothing should be considered canon in that game. Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is what the fans have really been waiting for though.

Don't get me wrong, I love Feudal Japan stuff, but eh..I just like the Ryu Ga Gotoku series much more in the modern day because it makes more sense and it's more fun, I believe. So, contrary to belief, Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan! was not "3".

I just can't believe so many companies were fooling people into thinking it was, even though it had nothing to do with the original series, lol. Oh well. The fans knew the truth! Bring on Ryu Ga Gotoku 3!!

Ah, sorry about that...<.<;;

Anywho, it looks like it'll be fun. I'll get it, assuming it actually comes out over here...

Played the first thinking it'd be a spiritual successor to Shenmue. Story was pretty weak, game was way too short, the battles were too few, boring, and easy. Didn't bother with the second one. I'll wait for more news on the third.

I wonder how this game will be since I never played any of the other Ryu ga Gotoku titles except for Kenzan!

Can't wait for this though, importing for sure. :)

-ASZ

I wonder how this game will be since I never played any of the other Ryu ga Gotoku titles except for Kenzan!

Can't wait for this though, importing for sure. :)

-ASZ

Hmmm..I don't doubt at all that this will be a fantastic title, but if the only Ryu Ga Gotoku you have played is Kenzan!, then I would highly suggest picking up 1 and 2 before trying to jump into this one. We have a few old cast members making a return and after all, it's a sequel. So, I would go ahead and pick up the first and second installments, then play them before the third comes out (you've got plenty of time :P).

Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is like Metal Gear Solid 4. It's going to be fucking epic whether you play the previous installments or not. It would just really help if you knew the whole story behind the characters and how we got to where we are now.

Hmmm..I don't doubt at all that this will be a fantastic title, but if the only Ryu Ga Gotoku you have played is Kenzan!, then I would highly suggest picking up 1 and 2 before trying to jump into this one. We have a few old cast members making a return and after all, it's a sequel. So, I would go ahead and pick up the first and second installments, then play them before the third comes out (you've got plenty of time :P).

Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 is like Metal Gear Solid 4. It's going to be fucking epic whether you play the previous installments or not. It would just really help if you knew the whole story behind the characters and how we got to where we are now.
Would I really have to play them? Or can I just read a story FAQ or something, lol.

-ASZ

Well, I guess you could read a story FAQ, but it's nothing like actually playing the games. Also, I believe after playing 1 and 2, you'll know what all new changes have been made and have more of an appreciation for 3. I'm just suggesting it would be a good idea to play though 1 and 2.

You've got until Spring of '09, so if you want to, like I said before, you've got plenty of time to play through both of them :P

Doesn't really look like there's anything new in this trailer though. I posted that 20 minute presentation and it features everything seen in this trailer. The only thing I can see is that the 20 minute presentation was taken from a cam and the stuff you see from that presentation is now presented in much better quality now.

I definitely like what I'm seeing though. It's nice to get a better view of everything instead of just from a cam, lol. Although, I'm not really sure why the videos from the PSN Store sound really loud when played on my TV.

I have to turn down my TV a good bit before finally getting it to a good volume, otherwise it's blaring the whole time. The first time I experienced that was when I downloaded the SCIV combo video with the song, "Thanatos" in the background. It's not like I have my TV set loud all the time either, so I'm not sure why it sounds so loud during these videos :/

Anyway, I definitely can't wait for this game. It's going to be epic.

EDIT: Added some additional information in my first post

Got some new news everyone. We've got a release date! The game is scheduled to release on February 29th of 2009 for 7,980 yen (about $69 I think).

I updated the first post with this information as well and also wanted to let you all know, Play-Asia is accepting pre-orders now :)

Playstation 3 - Ryu Ga Gotoku 3

Man, one of the biggest reason I loved the Yakuza series was its atmosphere. This deliver spades.

Yes, the atmosphere of the game really pulls me in as well. I just love it. I wish more games would have more interactivity and people in it like this series has.

Especially in RPGs. Are you seriously going to tell me in this giant city, I'm only going to meet maybe a total of 20 people standing outside in the streets? I think FFXII had the right idea with more people in RPGs, since it just makes more sense to have lots of people, but overall, I just believe there is a lot to be learned from the Ryu Ga Gotoku series.

This series just seems to keep getting better with each installment. I mean, seriously. A day to night cycle?!

I know I shouldn't be too excited about that, but man..not enough games have that implemented when they really should. I can definitely see this game selling really well.

Also, I'm adding the boxart to the first post. It's the one supplied on Play-Asia's site, so I'll keep a lookout for when someone else uploads it, so I can replace it with one without a watermark.

I'm a couple of days late with this update, but I've been a little busy with Persona 4 lately. Anyway, here's the newest update so far!

On December 12th, the official site for Ryu Ga Gotoku 3 (http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/three/index.html) was updated with a "Battle section". The first tab shows us stuff we're pretty much already familiar with (use of objects, combat system, etc). However, the fifth tab shows the Revelation (?) system which shows multiple ways Kazuma can learn new techniques.

Apparently, in order to learn new techniques, you can take pictures of events with your cellphone. I don't really get it myself, but the example it gives on the website is some old woman daydreaming about this guy and slamming into the back of a car while riding her scooter, then flipping over it and landing perfectly fine. For whatever reason, Kazuma learns a new Heat technique (a drop kick from the looks of it) after taking a picture of this event and posts about it on a website (I'm assuming it is his own website or blog of some sort since it has his picture on the top, not sure what the name of it is though).

You can also see some other odd pictures on the last page of the tab. I don't know what he could possibly learn from seeing someone slip on a banana peel (?) and a bowler getting his fingers caught in the ball and sliding down the lane. It is interesting though, to say the least.

Now I only played the demo of Ryu Ga Gotoku: Kenzan!, but this system definitely reminds me of the one used in that, only with a cellphone now. He used a calligraphy pen in that game and said something like, "I've had a revelation!", and learned a new technique. I'm just going on a limb here, but I'm going to assume it's the same system, just improved and set in modern age.

Added this new information to the first post as well.

EDIT: Also just replaced the old boxart with a nice clean one. Fresh!

Simple question time!

As objectively as possible: I don't think I really have the time (or want to spend the time) going through both Yakuza 1 & 2. In the event that I have to pick one, is Yakuza 2 improve in so many ways (in terms of presentation/gameplay/options) that it would not be worth going through Yakuza 1 for the sake of story? I'm talking, like, DMC2~3 or even DMC1~3 level differences. Or is the engine similar enough such that it's worth it to start from the beginning (like starting at Half-Life 2 versus starting at HL2: Episode 2 just to catch up).

Thanks!

Back