SC2 Netplay via Dolphin Emulator

Discussion in 'Soulcalibur II (Multi)' started by songohanx, Aug 25, 2015.

1. songohanx

songohanx [09] Warrior

EDIT BY ADMIN: Please use this discord in order to be up to date with the latest version of the dolphin emulator. You will also be able to find matches with greater ease than before. 8wayrun currently has a system to prevent edits on old posts, so you should only expect further updates there. Thank you for understanding.

https://discordapp.com/invite/013XFnzRS2piTs354

Here's a quick guide to getting yourself started with playing SC2 online (Gamecube version) with the Dolphin emulator.

Things you'll need:

Winrar or 7zip

Dolphin 5.0-321
    https://dolphin-emu.org/download/dev/be9416c462b1b5f0074d8a3a2b35171f2a154693/

Note: This emulator is updated several times daily, so to make things easier we'll use the same version as smashladder.com

SC2 Gamecube iso. (Google is your friend)

Setup:
    Extract the Dolphin .7z file into a folder of your choosing, along with the Soulcalibur_ii.zip

Open Dolphin and click on Config

On the first tab, make sure you enable cheats. This is so we can unlock all the characters later.
    [​IMG]

On the Gamecube tab, disable both memory cards, as this can cause a desync.
    [​IMG]

On the Paths tab, locate the folder in which you extracted the Soul Calibur 2 ISO to and add it. Mine is just there as an example.

[​IMG]

Now click OK and let's go to graphics options. Set your fullscreen resolution to your monitor's native resolution/desktop resolution, and your aspect ratio to Force 16:9. SC2 has the option in game to change aspect ratios, so we might as well take advantage of that. Fullscreen is preferred for performance issues, so check the box for that. Show FPS is optional, but helpful if you're trying to tweak graphics settings.

[​IMG]

If you have a lower end CPU/GPU, you can leave the enhancement settings alone, but if you have a more powerful machine you can crank up the internal resolution to make the game look very pretty. Ideally you want to be able to maintain a constant 60FPS, so adjust as necessary.

[​IMG]

Now to configure your controller or keyboard. Remove all other controllers/wiimotes except for GameCube Port 1 and config the buttons to your liking. (Remember to re-add Controller 2 if you want to play Offline vs.)

[​IMG]

Almost done! To ensure you have the correct ISO of the game, we want to right click on Soul Calibur 2 in the list of games and select Properties.

[​IMG]

Under the info tab, you'll see MD5 and a blank space. Hit the compute button next to it, and it should match this one: 0c8ec93f3f4f4e00d5a46443225c169c

[​IMG]

Now we just need to fully unlock the game. Please note, if both players have not correctly done this step, the game WILL desync almost immediately. Go to the AR Codes tab, and click add. Choose a name for the code and paste 00402160 00011303 in the code box.

[​IMG]

And that's it for the initial setup. Keep in mind that these settings will persist even when we update Dolphin versions, so thankfully you only have to do this once. At this point you probably want to go ahead and launch the game to ensure your controller/graphics settings are correct and that all of the characters are unlocked.

How to Netplay:

Go to Tools, Start netplay on the main Dolphin window. Make sure you select "Traversal" in the top left corner and enter a nickname. The hosting player just needs to select Soul Calibur 2 from the game list and click host. Once there, you can copy your host code to the clipboard and paste it to your opponent. They will then enter it on the Connect tab and click Connect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buffer settings have changed as of Dolphin 5.0!
    Previously, you would set 1 buffer increment equal to roughly 16ms of ping, but now it is 8ms to allow for greater fine tuning. (i.e. 80ms ping = 10 buffer)

We have a facebook group dedicated to SC2 netplay here Log into Facebook | Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/469031933275315) where you can find matches and receive any troubleshooting help you might need.

I've tried to be as thorough as possible with this guide, so hopefully it will be enough to get everyone started!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2017
  2. lolo

lolo [10] Knight

Awesome, I have the emulator and the game, I might try this one day

songohanx likes this.
  3. TwoSwords

TwoSwords [09] Warrior

@songohanx What controllers are compatible with this emulator? I will start playing this if I have an controller I can use.

4. songohanx

songohanx [09] Warrior

Any controller that your PC recognizes should work.

XB360/XB1 pads.
    Madcatz/Qanba/Hori (360/PS3/PS4) sticks.
    PS2 pads/sticks with a USB adapter

PS3/PS4 pads will require special drivers.

Nalaztre and TwoSwords like this.
  5. fukou_da_man

fukou_da_man [11] Champion

PSN:
    Fukou_da
    XBL:
    Fukou da
    The PS3/PS4 pads are very easy to use on PC. Just download either DS3 or DS4 respectively and make sure you have 360 drivers installed.

6. Norik

Norik [14] Master

XBL:
    Dark Khill
    I remember we tried doing this once in a massive PM and it was a mess. Then again, it was SC1 on MAME that we were trying to run IIRC.

How's the lag in this? It can't be worse than SCII HD Online Kappa

7. songohanx

songohanx [09] Warrior

People within 3-5 hours of you will more than likely feel pretty close to offline. I've had EC to WC matches that were quite playable, and better than anything I ever experienced on SC2HDO.

TwoSwords likes this.
  8. TwoSwords

TwoSwords [09] Warrior

@songohanx Thanks for the help bud, I'm downloading the ISO right now !

songohanx likes this.
  9. man

man [01] Neophyte

Thanks for the guide, now I can introduce a friend to trying the series out for the first time.

songohanx likes this.
  10. songohanx

songohanx [09] Warrior

11. songohanx

songohanx [09] Warrior

SEANPYRO likes this.
    • Administrator
    • Premium Supporter

Jaxel Administrator

PSN:
    Jaxelrod
    Is there any move to upgrade to Dolphin 5.0? Its supposed to greatly improve emulation.

12. MONEYMUFFINS

MONEYMUFFINS [13] Hero

FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW, WE USE A CHAT PROGRAM (discordapp) FOR LIVE MATCHMAKING. MANY PEOPLE FROM THE 8WR COMMUNITY ARE ON IT. THIS IS HOW WE ARRANGE MATCHES WITH OTHER PLAYERS ONLINE, ESPECIALLY FOR PLAYING ON DOLPHIN.

1. CREATE A FREE ACCOUNT. https://discordapp.com/register

2. AFTER YOU ARE REGISTERED, ACCEPT THE INVITATION TO THE SOULCALIBUR GROUP. https://discordapp.com/invite/013XFnzRS2piTs354

3. AT THE TOP-LEFT YOU WILL SEE #activematchmaking. THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN ARRANGE FOR MATCHES ON DOLPHIN.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    • Senior Moderator
    • Premium Supporter

WuHT Premium Moderator

PSN:
    Trolt
    cool ty for link

13. SilentWall

SilentWall [10] Knight

PSN:
    SilentWall
    I'm joining this.

14. SilentWall

SilentWall [10] Knight

PSN:
    SilentWall
    Wow.... I tried. It plays like offline. Impressive.
    Dolphin's SC2 netplay >>>>> SC2HD.

15. SilentWall

SilentWall [10] Knight

PSN:
    SilentWall
    Just a reminder for someone with this same issue, my emulator can not run at the first run.
    However, it run after I updated my video card driver.

My opinion on SC2HD:
    I hate SC2HD because it gave me a bad experience through the crubby game mode and annoying netplay. I think that make people missed totally what the true SC2's spirit is and how deep the game is. Also, SC2HD has more bugs than the original SC2. I do not recommend to play on SC2HD.
    Anyway, I love those sexy movesets on every characters in SC2. =)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  16. SilentWall

SilentWall [10] Knight

PSN:
    SilentWall
    Just I found out some good functions in SC2 Dolphin. It is "TAS Input" and "Frame Advance". Just set a hot key for "Frame Advance". You can test any moves, combo and mystery strategy frame by frame with several controllers port together. That compliments the weakness of SC2 practice mode. That can help new players to test combo and faster to pick up the core of the game.
    I'm so happy about SC2 finally has a good training mode in Dolphin.

17. limejuice

limejuice [10] Knight

XBL:
    ask me
    I tried this yesterday and was surprised how well it played.

SilentWall likes this.